recommendations for good binoculars

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planning a cruise to Alaska and land trip to denali. I want to get a good pair of binoculars. What would be a good brand and size to get for this trip?
Any recommendations appreciated.

VANGUARD Endeavor ED 10.5 x 45. View Angle 6 degrees. $300ish.

Depends how much you want to spend. Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica if you can swing it. If not, Vanguard, Carson, Nikon, Maven. Do not buy Vortex or Bushnell, etc. They have a warranty for a reason.

Planning a cruise to Alaska and land trip to denali. I want to get a good pair of binoculars. What would be a good brand and size to get for this trip?
Any recommendations appreciated.
I have never owned a pair of those $300 binoculars, always wanted to and yet I got by very good with Tasco and Bushnell for most of my general hunting. Never was a trophy hunter , but i have a nice Mule deer horn set that score 210. It depends what hunting did for you or what does just being out do for you, or do you think you're being judged why what you brought home. The beautiful thing about the cheaper binoculars, is, that if I would have lost them, i wouldn't have stayed up all night crying and, they were actually quite good glasses. I do own a pair of Brunton field glasses made in Wyoming and they have been very good, I've had them for probably 15 years and they are 7 by 50 individual focus and they are really good. They did cost about $150. A little pair of four by 30s made by Bushnell was about the nicest little pocket glasses I ever purchased to use in a tree stand for archery hunting. If a cheap repair went South on the trip or got stolen, they could probably be fairly easily replaced without having to spend another fortune. True, you probably would have the higher priced ones insured, but you would still be without glasses until you got home.
Some years ago glasses appeared that were called insta focus or automatic focus, and I'm surprised how good they really were. The beautiful thing about it was when you loaned them to somebody else to look that was standing there, they couldn't get them out of focus on you and they could probably see the way they were too. This is especially applied when I was hunting with my grandsons and my own children, because if they wanted to look thru my glasses you knew there was gonna be a problem.
Squint

would something in the 200-300 dollar range be decent glasses?
what is a good mid range magnification ? 10x42, 12x50 ???
10 X 42 would be my choice if I were to buy again. It's popular with a vast selection of manufacturers. I wouldn't spend less than 200-300 but not much more. Let the warranty be your guide. JMO

Buy the best you can, there are certainly some good enough binos out there in your price range.

Bear in mind that despite what some may like to believe there is definitely a difference in having premium level glass, but you won’t see the difference in the middle of the day comparing good and cheap glass out of a shop front. Good glass pays for itself in the first and last minutes of light. If that’s not what you’re after then don’t think twice about buying lower end binos, just do it.

Some random thoughts… in no particular order.

First, do some reading on the basics of selecting binoculars. Lots of good tutorials out there.

If possible, go to a large retail store- Cabela’s, Bass Pro, etc. You can try many types of binoculars, in person. Better yet, you can view stuff on the opposite side of the store, for an improvised field test.

Admittedly, looking at a taxidermy mount a hundred yards away inside a store, isn’t exactly “real world,“ but at least it’s better than just reading a catalog description!

There will likely be some that just don’t “fit” right, for you. There will be some for $1K, that you’ll probably like, instantly... but maybe you’ll cool your jets when you see how much they cost.

Give some thought about what you’re going to be viewing, and what a good magnification range might be.

If your cruise ship is a mile off shore, the exact magnification of your binocs may not make make a huge difference when viewing something like “that mountain over there.”

On the other hand, there may be a big (perceived) difference between 7X and 10X, when looking at a critter a couple hundred yards away. How much magnification do you “need?” How much magnification can you hold still? Like a rifle scope, “more is better,” except when you have a second to get eyes on your quarry, and can’t find it in the scope (or binoculars)…

Consider glass quality, vs. objective size, as part of your shopping. Both can be big factors in brightness, clarity, etc. Will your land tour be in the middle of the day, or dawn/dusk?

As with so many things, it’s all about compromise- cost, quality, features, size/weight, etc. You don’t need to get a second mortgage to get quality glass, but don’t go on the trip of a lifetime with $35 binoculars, either… 😂

Finally, what are you going to do with them, upon your return? Hunt, watch birds, take to sporting events, or throw them in a closet? If you buy a reputable brand, there’s potentially a broad resale market.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP! 👍

would something in the 200-300 dollar range be decent glasses?
what is a good mid range magnification ? 10x42, 12x50 ???
Too much magnification, IMO. Unless you are very steady of hand, and what you’re riding in is steady, the image will be dancing all over the place making seeing it well difficult.
I have 6X30, 7X35, 8X40s, and 9X63 but only for night viewing of stars. $200 to $300 should do it just fine.

Nikon Monarch 5. 10 power. When you do Denali take the bus 6 or 8 hour bus trip all the way to the end. If it’s reopened. Some roads had washed out last fall.

So i took a look at some Leica Geovids. I had no idea they were in that price range. They are exactly what i want, but not what i can afford.

I sold my best rifle to help pay for mine, admittedly they were a little cheaper when I got them than now. I paid about $2500, now in Aus Leica binos around about $4k. Mind you I have Leica Geovid HDR 10x42 which are no longer made. I’ve never regretted doing it though.

I've gone thru all kinds of binocs in my 70 plus years but my all time favorites are Leupold YOSEMITE 6 x 30's. All the magnification you need for trophy spotting yet awesome for still hunting. I've killed many a deer that I never would have even spotted without them.

So i took a look at some Leica Geovids. I had no idea they were in that price range. They are exactly what i want, but not what i can afford.
Yes they have really gone up in price, I believe I pad $1200 for mine, but I did find a good deal on a pair of 10x42s, they read in meters, which I prefer, having spent many years overseas. This looks to be an upgrade from mine with the angle compensation, from Cameraland, Leica Bino

I have absolutely no issues holding my pair of 10x42s steady, though I often brace my hold if something to lean on is available. I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for in glass. And I have a lot of less expensive glass, having spent decades in Europe I am a big fan of Docter (now Noblex) and Meopta glass. Biggest issue with cheaper glass is you pay for it in weight, bulkiness, not as sharp, less nighttime or near nighttime quality (but if you don't hunt early or late no biggee). If you're young you can still lug 9lb rifles and heavy glass anywhere you wanna go, lol. There's glass out there for everybody, nowadays a ton of companies putting out some good stuff. Just gotta find what your pocketbook can pay for, good luck!

Latest posts

Back