Recovered balls/bullets

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

10gaugemag

After reading the post "In appreciation of the TC Hawken" by Confederate rifleman and he was able to recover a bullet from one of his deer I thought I would start a thread about recovered projectiles.

I have only killed a handful of deer with my Hawken .54 and a round ball and have recovered just 1 ball.

This one came from a mature doe, my first deer with a front stuffer, shot at about 30 yards, ball entered about 3 ribs up from the rear and was recovered at the shoulder/neck junction on the opposite side. Distance traveled after the shot20201023_211056.jpg was probably 50 yards. 20201023_211048.jpg

Lets see the balls/bullets you all have been able to recover and keep as a little trophy.

dbowling

Ive never recovered a bullet from a deer that I remember, shot probably 40 deer with xtps and never had one stay in a deer..have used various other bullets on deer, Barnes,conicals, ball etc and never had one stay in. I mostly take broadside or slightly quartering shots.

WV Hunter

I have only ever found one, out of dozens killed. No pic of it. It was a hard quartering away shot, lodged in the shoulder backbone joint. Lately I'm using bloodlines for probably the last 6 deer and they are awesome. I've shot most of my deer with Speer bullets. Jacketed hollow points, deep curls, or uni-cor. 👍

Confederate rifleman

The recovered 250 XTP. Almost 3/4 inch across and 238 grains remaining.
70 grains of 3f Swiss and a Harvester crush rib. Velocity 1585 fps. From my ( very much ) appreciated Hawken. Of 13 deer taken with this load, from 3 different rifles, this is the only one recovered. The other 12 were all pass throughs.

Attachments

Leadhoarder

After reading the post "In appreciation of the TC Hawken" by Confederate rifleman and he was able to recover a bullet from one of his deer I thought I would start a thread about recovered projectiles.

I have only killed a handful of deer with my Hawken .54 and a round ball and have recovered just 1 ball.

This one came from a mature doe, my first deer with a front stuffer, shot at about 30 yards, ball entered about 3 ribs up from the rear and was recovered at the shoulder/neck junction on the opposite side. Distance traveled after the shotView attachment 10853 was probably 50 yards. View attachment 10852

Lets see the balls/bullets you all have been able to recover and keep as a little trophy.
Large diameter soft lead projectiles sure do the job well don't they?

idahoron

I have a gob of bullets I have found but only a few are ML bullets. This is a RCBS 11MM bullet out of my 45. My son shot a buck in the flank and it came to rest in the neck.

Attachments

idahoron

These are Hornady 410 gr 50 cal great plains bullets. They came out of a deer I killed and thought I was going to lose. I quit using them after that.

Attachments

idahoron

This one was my bull from last year. It started out at 458 grains. It weighed 454 when I recovered it. The shot was 248 yards and the bull dropped in his tracks. It's been hard to find these bullets because they plow through and keep going.

Attachments