Recreation @ the Dinger Farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Had a few minutes this morning to burn so I decided to head out to the farm and do some shooting. All this hoping that Marty was not farming this morning!!??

The rifle I had planned to use this fall during regular rifle deer season here in Idaho was my Knight Ulite Nitride 50 cal. I have a 3x9x42 Redfield Revenge with the Accu-Ranger reticule mounted on the rifle. I shot this rifle a lot in late winter and have it already sighted in for my fall deer hunting. Lehigh Dave, in answer to several requests, about a bullet that would load in some of the very tight 50 cal. bores decided to make and offer a .451 bullet. He also, I think, was fielding some questions about his (saboted) bullets that might also be shot in a slow twist barrel. His new bullet served both requests - a .451x230CF-HP.

Lehigh-451-230.jpg

I received some of the bullets and the first thing I wanted to try - will they really shoot from a 1/48 twist barrel? They do!

Next, I tried them in a Knight Mountaineer and a Knight Nitride Ulite. They shot outstanding! After getting sighted in I also shot them through a chrono to work up a Ballistic Sheet.

Lehigh_451x230_BH.jpg

After doing this ballistic sheet - I had decided I really didn't need a FT 45 for hunting - Idaho will not let you hunt elk with a 45 anyway. So I sold 2 of my three FT twist 45's.

Now that Lehigh Dave has created the sabotless .458x260CF-HP, I am now having second thoughts about using a FT 45 for deer hunting during regular rifle season.

This is a composite picture of this mornings fun shoot. Nothing had changed since I put the rifle away last winter. Still sighted right on and the 5 birds payed the price....

5-13-Shoot-Composite.jpg

When farmer Marty moves his walk-about tractor - I will be able to stretch the range to 200 yards

Last edited:
Nice shooting !

Thanks!! it is just dang fun to get out and shoot - just wish the farmer would get done farming my shooting range :(:(

Actually I talked to Marty the other day while shooting and he is done... it is all up to 'Mother Nature' now. He will move the tinker toy later in the week. :dance2:

Shooting birds at a 100 is really no big accomplishment with todays equipment. I recognize that but it sure is fun!

Honestly your birds are a very realistic hunting load . Especially when your setting them out 150 + . Those Lehigh bullets will make some real deer killers .

Honestly your birds are a very realistic hunting load . Especially when your setting them out 150 + . Those Lehigh bullets will make some real deer killers .

If/when Marty moves the tractor I will be able to get some longer range shooting in. Although as the wheat gets taller it is going to be more difficult to spot the birds in a location that I can see them from the bench.

The Lehigh's really do have excellent Terminal Ballistics! for many many years I was a Nosler Partition shooter! I tried a lot of factory bullets in the beginning them moved to Barnes for awhile then tried the Nosler - no comparisons. Even used Noslers when I first started using ML's but then a friend convinced me to try the Lehigh Brass bullets - wow! been busting Lehigh's ever since.

Latest posts

Back