Reduced Loads Using the Apex and the XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Camo Apex shot so well with the 250gr XTP, I wanted to see if I could reduce the load and still maintain accuracy.

My first load was 6gr N110 with 40gr H4198, wool wad, smooth formed, medium loading pressure, 3 shots at 100yds
XjOZntB.jpg

Next up was 6gr N110 with 45gr H4198, the Apex didn't care for the 5gr increase in H4198, that's ok with me, I was looking for a reduced load anyway, so the 6/40 looks like a winner, I may try 35gr H4198 with the N110 next time out just to see what it does.
AKrjgvX.jpg

Buckdoehunter, which breech plug are you using? I have a short hankins His plug in my scout 45-70 conversion and that leaves about .700 of the old 45-70 chamber in front of the plug. I really want to shoot 4227 again but it's to risky for this gun as my bullet may be hanging down in that area due to the short powder column. My plug also holds a good amount of powder in it's nose area.

Buckdoehunter, which breech plug are you using? I have a short hankins His plug in my scout 45-70 conversion and that leaves about .700 of the old 45-70 chamber in front of the plug. I really want to shoot 4227 again but it's to risky for this gun as my bullet may be hanging down in that area due to the short powder column. My plug also holds a good amount of powder in it's nose area.
Both my Apex's use the ASG Gen2 module breech plugs, one plug measures 1.679 and the other 1.685.

Both Apex's are threaded in the breech area to where the rifling begins. The depth of the threads varies by .190 between the two rifles. After crunching the numbers, the Camo Apex has a free chamber area of .110 and the Black Apex measures .306.

The ASG breech plug has a large powder pocket which holds approx. 11 grains of N110. If I were to use 35 grains of N110, the left over 24 grains should have a powder column in my barrel approx. .70 inches long, it was actually a little longer but I rounded down to err on the side of caution.

Well, it took over a year but I finally had a chance to chrono the reduced load.

3 shots at 100 yards, same load as posted, not as tight but I was more focused on not shooting my chrono, avg velocity was 1555 fps, lower than I would guessed. I wondered if the wool wad was being read so the next group was with no wad.
F9ufuC9.jpg

3 shots at 100 yards, lower 3, same load except no wad, avg velocity 1625 fps. It's amazing how dropping the main charge by 12 grains (my hunting load is 52 gr H4198) can lower the velocity by almost a 1000 fps with the same weight bullet. If I was going to hunt with the reduced load, I would probably just use the XTP, the speed is just a little above the design range for the 250 gr XTP.
GHJYcCx.jpg

I would like to know how 4227 does with saboted loads. Kind of compare it to N110, if there is comparison. To see if it's as versatile as N110.

Latest posts

Back