Refinish a TC Hawken stock?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Cooper

Reaction score
Sanding the walnut to 320. The wood is very blonde in color and I'd like a nice medium-dark walnut color. What stain/color/clear finish do you like to use on such things? I want to be careful because I know walnut can easily turn black if you get too dark or too much stain. I use to make furniture, but it's been 30 years since then.

I would hit FrontierGander up. There is a thread right under this one titled "New Hawken Build" where he shows pics of a build he just did. The stock came out a very beautiful dark color that I think is what you're describing.

before you decide on a stain, wet the stock down thoroughly to see what it would look like with just an oil finish on it. Walnut will look a lot darker when finished from bare wood. This picture shows the difference between bare wood and after it's been wetted.
DSCF1426.JPG

I refinished my TC walnut stock using a 50/50 mix of Formby's Tung oil and Watco teak oil finishes about 10 yrs ago. It turns out a little darker brown and darkens with age. Finish is an oil type finish and easily repaired. I did 8 hand rubbed coats up to 800 grit. Takes a couple of days to dry between each coat depending on temp and humidity. As you can see I am about due for a refinish .54 TC Hawken 2.jpg

Nice, I like to refinish mine, where we differ I kind of like the blonde, well mostly it is different I am bit of an odd duck myself, took my Mosins, M95`s Arisakas back to raw wood and boiled linseed oil. I like the look

Not hijack, but you mentioned arisakas. I was under the impression that they were finished with a poison sumac type oil. Did you sand the stock ?? I have one now.

Latest posts

Back