Reloder 7 with 200 Grain SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my Daughter's RemPac 45 out to the range to sight in a couple of loads. I'll try to chrono this load in the future but from the traces I looked at, it should be somewhere around 2450fps. I first shot 3 Barnes 250 grain FF bullets to see where they would print then let the barrel cool for a bit.

100yds, 61 grains Reloder 7, Harvester Light Blue sabot, Hornady 200 grain SST
After the second shot, I thought I blew a sabot, I couldn't see another hole, to my surprise, almost the same hole.
2cd7wvt.jpg

3rd shot.
PKBSM7u.jpg

I'm going to try some 195 grain Barnes Expanders tomorrow and see how they do. I'm guessing they will shoot well but probably not as tight as the SST's. I'm impressed with RL7 and sabots. Some of the pressure traces I looked at had the 195 Barnes screaming around 2900fps. With the 61 grain load, recoil was mild.

Last edited:
Good shooting and again I am impressed by your custom target dots;)
I'm on a cardboard kick right now, I've got a pile of it from my Wife's online shopping :cool:

If you try h4198 you may get the same results,except it is not as dirty as Re7.Mild recoil too.
I've tried various loads of IMR4198 when I first got the barrel, none would group decent which surprised me. I tried some with n110 and IMR4759 duplex's also, I could never get them to shoot well with the Pac-Nor barrel. Maybe H4198 would be different?
I have the end of the barrel marked to show me where the lands are located, I did notice more soot with RL7 but the bullet/sabot combo loaded the same and never got too tight.

After they quit making 4759 my favorite powder was Reloader 7 in my ml2 which has gone on to another. Most sabot friendly powder I have ever shot.

The only real problem with Re7 is you will run out of barrel before you get a really screaming fast load. N120 will dust it easily in a 27" or less barrel. You might be able to get it up there but the muzzle blast will be pretty intense. IIRC 63gr in my Pacnor 45 was good for around 2600-2650fps. N120 would do better than that with just 58gr.

Now if you got a HIS or a DIS system its possible you might be able to squeak a bit more from Re7.
1FVoeGr.png

My first 2 Remmy 700 ML .45 conversions I shot with 71 grains Reloader 7 with the Barnes 195 and HLB Sabot. Never blew a sabot and was moving along @ 2800+ fps. 3 buddies are still shooting that same load out of their conversions ( 2 Remmy's and 1 Savage) and have never had an issue either.

I should have mentioned that all of the 5 guns I mentioned, all of them were PacNor Barrels w/ 1:22 twist. The PacNors really shot the saboted 195"s and the 200 SST's extremely well.....

Attachments

• 2012-11-24_14.58.07.jpg
    2012-11-24_14.58.07.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back