rem 700 muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donny.brooke

Reaction score
Are the older 700 muzzle loaders any good. Im a rem 700 fan and was wondering if it would be a better setup than my thompson pro hunter 50 cal

They are nice after a reasonably priced upgrade to bare 209 primer. Most Rem700 SA CF upgrades also fit them such as triggers and stocks. There are even custom ML barrels available.

Derfhunter on the forum sells the bare 209 bolt nose conversions.

I got my 1st one because I wanted to convert it to smokeless to extend my range. It shoots great and I took a buck at 304yds in early Jan. Side note: do not shoot smokeless powder in a factory 700ML, mine has a smokeless capable barrel and breech plug. My 3rd one will remain mostly stock ( I say that now until I see all the goodies I want to buy for it) and shoot BP subs.

If your a 700 fan, keep an eye out for a good used one, I don't think you will be disappointed, but get the 209 Bolt Nose kit. The factory 700ML suffered from blowback and required lots of cleaning in the bolt and trigger area.

I have one that i bought about 13 years ago. I have the Canadian 209 primer conversion kit in mine. I use teflon tape on the threads of the breech plug, and blowback is not bad. Mine shoots really well. I have killed several deer with mine, and it does a great job. I shoot a Remington 700 in .30-06 during modern gun season, and the 700 ML during muzzle loader season, and one is as good as the other. You could do worse than a 700 ML.

Would you guys out there rather have pro hunter or the rem 700ML the older version with a 209 upgrade?

I have both rifles. This year was the first year I used my 700. I don't know why I like it better, but I do. Maybe because my centerfires are all 700s. Sad part is the pro hunter is more accurate.

I had one of the first ones stainless steel. Blow back left a lot to be desired it clogged up the firing mechanism to a point it wouldn't fire sold it.

I bought the rem 700ml with the canadian 209 primer conversion kit. Going to try it out and see how it goes. What the heck its the start of my muzzleloader collection. Next one will be a knight as i have heard good things about them.

Well the rem 700 ml showed up today and its a total pile of crap. Breech plug seized on. Pitted and rusty. Bore pitted. Its not had a conversion kit put on it. Im glad the guy gave me my money back. I offered him 100 for it and i will make it a project rig. So i ordered a brand new tc triumph for me and an impact for my girlfriend lol.

Congrats on the new muzzleloaders! :D

Sorry to hear about the 700ML :d'oh!: Project guns are fun to tinker with, lots of stuff you can do with a decent action.

Post up some range time with the new guns :yeah:

Just sold the remington for 160 to a guy who wants the action for smokeless build. Kept all the tc bullets and came out smelling like a rose on this one lol.

Latest posts

Back