Rem 700ML upgrades?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to inline ML, but been a sidelock shooter for years. Preparing to build a long-range inline starting with a Rem 700ML I just purchased and I need some information from you experienced gentlemen.

Will triggers, stocks, bases etc. that fit the cf 700 short action also fit the 700ML? Looking at a chassis system right now. Haven't chose a caliber yet but looking for a long cast bullet with a good BC maybe paper patched, don't know yet. What type of ignition system would best for this rifle, looking for consistence as well as longevity.

No hunting with the rifle, extreme long range shooting only, have experience with CF, want to expand my fun. Thank you in advance for any helpful information you can offer!

old man jim

Yes, most Rem700 upgrades DO fit the Rem700ML. Luke at ASG and Badger Ridge have some upgrade parts for the bolt/breech plug. Lukes link is in the Sponsor Showcase section

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/no-sizing-required-xld-nsr.36171/
If you are thinking of shooting big lead you may want to look a 45cal 1-18 twist barrels or maybe 1-20 if staying under 500gr. The 1-18 will be a little better as the distance increases with the really heavy 45s.

Last edited:
I would use a LRMP in a brass module for the ignition source, make sure the headspace is set correctly or you may experience hard to extract modules. There are many custom long range Rem 700ML's out there, I have 3, but most nowadays are using Remington 700 SA centerfire actions for their long range muzzleloaders, something to consider and research.

I'm getting ready to start a smokeless 700ML build with a light weight barrel. I have thousands of Large rifle primers so module system of some type it will be.

Has anyone added a second retaining screw & machined the notch to get more holding force?

If I was to play in the smokeless world, I don't think I'd start with a Remington 700 ML/MLS. I'd use a centerfire action of some sort and build on that, or if for some reason (ie legal reason) it had to start out as a muzzle loader, a Ruger 77/50 already has locking lugs...

The 700 ML/MLS are great blackhorn guns (with our/Fred's kit), but if you have to eek out every last bit of potential: start with a system that is designed to eeek out so much more... like a center fire action. And pick one with lots of stock, trigger, & other accessories etc.

But I always get back to the "why" when going smokeless... if its to shoot/harvest big game, then a sealed breech 209 700 MLS with Blackhorn will do it well out to most reasonable ranges and for a lot less $ than building a smokeless gun. I've blogged about that a bit on our website. If you just want to spend money and play... again, start with a better action for the purpose: a center-fire action. You will be spending a lot of money to do just a little better, why not start with a solid action, designed for that sort of abuse for a long time?

Judging by what Luke has posted to his website, it seems he may agree and is focusing on his centerfire action based rifles. And that makes sense to me.... if you are trying to eek out every last bit and don't mind paying lots of $.

If you want to make a 700 MLS kill anything in North America out to reasonable ranges (and are willing to work hard on developing a load and knowing your bullet drops), and don't want to break the bank, just use black horn with a sealed breech 209 conversion.

But it is America still... so feel free to try to milk whatever mammal you have in your barn! But most will tell you its best to try a cow over or a goat over a sheep or bunny.

My .02USD. Worth what you paid for it.

Tom

I think the 77/50 was one of the best handling shooting muzzleloaders ever made, just a shame Ruger discontinued them so quick instead of fixing the problems. I should of never of sold the 2 i had, only gun that carried as good/pointed as good as the T/C Black Diamonds/Firehawks.

My Uncle has it - I believe its new in the box never fired. Blued walnut stock. He sent me a picture of it last year when we were bsing about ML. Will see what I can work out.

ruger-209-conversion-complete-kin-less-shims_orig.jpg

Our Ruger 209 system head spaces off of the locking lugs and uses a crush seal because it has lugs.

Still a better use of resources to do a 209 sealed breech on these guns than smokeless in my opinion. But the Ruger would be a better candidate.

I think the 77/50 was one of the best handling shooting muzzleloaders ever made, just a shame Ruger discontinued them so quick instead of fixing the problems. I should of never of sold the 2 i had, only gun that carried as good/pointed as good as the T/C Black Diamonds/Firehawks.
Whats the triggers like on them 77/50's? How big of a deal would it be to swap out the .50 barrel for a SML rated .45 barrel ? Is there a .45 1:20 barrel already avail for it to shoot BH 209 in?

I was thinking the same thing - read over on the campfire someone retro fitted a jewel trigger but didn't get thru the whole thing - the barrel band is a negative vs the 700

I think the factory trigger is good for a hunting rifle. I believe Its the same trigger system as the 77/44 so if you find an aftermarket for that rifle it should fit the 77/50.

I believe Fred (DerfHunter here?) has done a smokeless mod to one of the rifles he bought to develop the Ruger 77/50 209 system with me. He'd be better at answering those questions... but I think we are hijacking this thread... perhaps PM him, or start another thread... I think the barrel shank is a bit small for a smokeless conversion on the 77/50 compared to a Savage 10/110 or Rem 700 centerfire action... and yes the 77/50 has a barrel band and not as many options in stocks or scope mounts, probably unconventional bedding set up, and just isn't as good as many other center fire actions...

Which is why I said I'd use a centerfire action for a smokeless mod.

New to inline ML, but been a sidelock shooter for years. Preparing to build a long-range inline starting with a Rem 700ML I just purchased and I need some information from you experienced gentlemen.

Will triggers, stocks, bases etc. that fit the cf 700 short action also fit the 700ML? Looking at a chassis system right now. Haven't chose a caliber yet but looking for a long cast bullet with a good BC maybe paper patched, don't know yet. What type of ignition system would best for this rifle, looking for consistence as well as longevity.

No hunting with the rifle, extreme long range shooting only, have experience with CF, want to expand my fun. Thank you in advance for any helpful information you can offer!

old man jim

See the rifle at the end of this video. It uses the Remington 700ML action, and Hankins-type primer modules.

(1) Smokeless Muzzleloader: 275 grain Parker BE at 3,000 fps Effect on Deer - YouTube

I think the 77/50 was one of the best handling shooting muzzleloaders ever made, just a shame Ruger discontinued them so quick instead of fixing the problems.

Years ago I got tired of hauling around my Austin Halleck and picked up a used 77-50, probably a 2-3 lb difference.

Mines been fine, what problems do they have?

What's the triggers like on them 77/50's? How big of a deal would it be to swap out the .50 barrel for a SML rated .45 barrel ? Is there a .45 1:20 barrel already avail for it to shoot BH 209 in?
Factory trigger can be lightened to have a crisp clean pull. I built one for a friend that used a cut off GM 45 1-20 twist 45 barrel. I stocked it with a Richards micro fit laminate. I ditched the barrel band by attaching a second fastening point in the front of the receiver. I also converted it to BH209 gun using my own conversion. It shot extremely well with big lead up to 500 gr IIRC. I believe he even harvested a deer with one of those bullets at 100 + plus yds. DRT.

These days, converting a 700ml to smokeless is problematic since about all the aftermarket
support has dried up. One needs a bolt nose conversion as well as a different barrel and
breech plug. I did convert a 700ml to .45 smokeless a few years ago and love it. It's a
proven deer getter!

700ml VH.jpg700ml VH.jpg

Yup, the major builders are all using Remington 700 centerfire actions and some Savages. It is not as easy to do a build off of a Remington 700 ML action as it once was.

Latest posts

Back