Remington 41

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just scored a nearly new condition, April 1937 production, Model 41 " Targetmaster" caliber .22.s,l,lr for the bargain price of $165.
What caught my eye is the 27 inch barrel. LOVE long barrels. A single shot bolt action .22 with a long barrel? Kryptonite...
The metal has a few trivial dings, but the bluing is 100% and a lovely plum shade. Even the cocking piece and safety have 100% of their bluing. The trigger is not a'tall bad!
However. Someone thought it wise to slop some Tru Oil on the stock... That will be dealt with shortly.
There isn't even any old fouling in the nooks and crannies! Although I wonder about fine old rifles that saw little use, I do like finding them!
Funny thing though. The only breechloaders I own ( my Model 781 Marlin and this new Remington) as .22 rimfires.
Pics to follow. I'm presently in the woods with Vixen, hoping a buck or a plump tasty wanders too close...

Well!
She's a shooter for sure! Aguila super extra 40 grain is giving 3 round 25 yard groups between 3/8 and 1/2 inch. 10 shot groups under 3/4 inch and this is with the factory open sights.
Her consistency in point of impact is very near perfect. That is a critical point in judging a rifle, to me. Accuracy is nearly as important. I'd rather have a rifle that shoots a ( slightly) larger group, but lands them in the same spot day after day, than one that bug holes but is on one day and a bit off the next. Its a confidence thing.
Can't wait to try more loads in the old girl. I think the squirrels are going to be in a tough spot come season.
Now if I can just find a good aperture sight...

Great find! Those old Remingtons are shooters for sure. If you can find some CCI standard velocity try them. My old Rems love them.

About 5 years ago picked up a Remington Model 24 for $150, great shooter and it's in excellent shape, looks like new.

Latest posts

Back