Remington 700 B.P. Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Harlaand

Reaction score
I have one of the first Remington 700 with no serial number, what would be a good sabot to shoot in it? and what could I ask for a price to sell it?

Do a gunbroker search for previous sold same rifle get a decent idea from that, alot depends on condition if any pitting/rust in barrel then value goes down by at least 50 percent or more. The ones I had mid 1990s all shot 240-300 gr XTPs with mmp sabots and either 100 gr pyrodex pellets or 85-100 gr of pyrodex rs.. a guy I worked with had one back in early -mid 90s that would shoot one hole groups at 80 yds with 240 gr stp/green sabot and 100 gr pyrodex pellets..

Do a gunbroker search for previous sold same rifle get a decent idea from that, alot depends on condition if any pitting/rust in barrel then value goes down by at least 50 percent or more. The ones I had mid 1990s all shot 240-300 gr XTPs with mmp sabots and either 100 gr pyrodex pellets or 85-100 gr of pyrodex rs.. a guy I worked with had one back in early -mid 90s that would shoot one hole groups at 80 yds with 240 gr stp/green sabot and 100 gr pyrodex pellets..
I was told that the twist was 1.60 by Lyman.

WOW! A 1:

1:60 twist??? I would have never thought that. That's a percussion sidelock round ball twist, I doubt that that's what it is in that early 700ML inline. I would think it's a 1:28, but I could be wrong.
You may be right, my BP rifle is a percussion.

It does not have a serial number the early model did not use any.
I just did a little searching & what I found was even the old/orig 700Ml's with 24" & 26" barrels & #11 cap nipples were all 1:28 twist rate. There are several real experts on these guns in the group, hopefully one of them will chime in & give you some info you can rely on being 100% correct.

I just did a little searching & what I found was even the old/orig 700Ml's with 24" & 26" barrels & #11 cap nipples were all 1:28 twist rate. There are several real experts on these guns in the group, hopefully one of them will chime in & give you some info you can rely on being 100% correct.

Correct, .45, .50 & .54 Calibers were All 1:28 Twist & most were Good Quality ER Shaw Barrels.

thank you you are right.

My Rem 700 ML/MLS's 50 cal rifles have all liked MMP black sabots. Then either 300gr 452 XTP, or 250 Gr 452 XTP's the best. They both shoot good, just some rifles like the 250gr over the 300gr or vice/versa. If I was to buy one box to try first, it would be the 300gr XTP's.

(I sell the sabots, and don't think you find better pricing on them, anywhere... especially if you factor in shipping costs)

That has held with 777 or our sealed breech kit and Blackhorn209. (if you don't have our kit, you'll wiish you did... it makes that an entirely 'new' rifle)

Latest posts

Back