Remington 700 ML bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I find something else, it looks like I will be using a 250 gr. .452" XTP and a crush rib. That is what I can find!

i was a Scheels in Iowa City and they had Remington bullets for the ultimate mz. They are made by Barnes. TEZ with a green sabot I believe.

I took the rifle and accoutrements out to the range today. I found some B209 powder and thought I would try it but I was getting crazy hangfires. I was using Winchester 209 primers. Are they not hot enough?

Show us a pic of the primer box. Maybe some one familiar with the Rem ml will advise.

I took the rifle and accoutrements out to the range today. I found some B209 powder and thought I would try it but I was getting crazy hangfires. I was using Winchester 209 primers. Are they not hot enough?
Which bullets did you try it with? The ELRs? XTP/crushribs, or the Shockwaves? If you had hangfires with them all, it could be something like your breechplug design or carboned up flame channel.

does your rifle have the bolt nose kit or is it just the 209 breech plug??? If you are not using the bolt nose kit or some other modification to seal the breech, you will have issues with BH209. I made my own modification about 10 years ago and have not had one issue with bh209. That is in two different rifles.

I did forget to add that the 50 cal that cloverleafs does so with 75 gr. by weight BH209. I placed the rifle in a laminate stock and free floated the barrel from the stock. Yes I know the the ramrod is still contacting the barrel and stock but the barrel channel is free. The receiver is pillar bedded(stainless steel tubing) and the trigger adjusted. It shoots very well. I also have a 54 with the same modifications. It shoots a 325 gr Barnes xpb 50 caliber bullet in a purple sabot. I have also shot the 285 Remington core lock ultra bullet with that sabot. Both loads shoot about 1 to 1.5" depending on how I am doing on the particular day. I have killed a lot of deer with that rifle.

I would Highly recommend the Hunters or ASG 209 Bolt Nose Kit & using Federal 209A or CCI 209M primers. This Kit will turn that rifle into a super reliable shooter. You should probably be using Hodgdon 3F Triple Seven with the stock slam fire bolt with the cooler 209 Muzzleloader specific primers (Win T7)

Many many many satisfied customers. Once you try the sealed breech you won't want to go back. The only reason I see to keep the original running is if you hunt in Oregon or Idaho during their muzzle loader seasons.

Tom

What should the max charge for BH209 be in a 700 ML? I want to stay away from that hot a load.

Like other folks have said... you shouldn't shoot Blackhorn in your Remington 700ML unless you have a 209 sealed breech set up (like I sell). You don't have to take my word for it... you can read the FAQ at Blackhorn209.com: FAQs « Blackhorn 209
---------------
21. I have a Remington 700ML or 700MLS, can it use BH209?
Not with the original percussion cap system. It would need a 209 conversion kit. We recommend a sealed breech system like the one sold here: www.BadgerRidgeInd.com
----------------
Here's the load data:
https://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

Assuming you get the 209 sealed breech set up on the rifle... then you will find starting load recommended at 80gr by volume and working up from there. Max load varies with max bullet weight (please review the manufacture's load data), but assuming typical 180-350gr bullets, I think you will find the max listed is 120gr by volume (both the Remington owner's manual and BlackHorn209 data say 120gr by volume max... depending on the bullet). My rifles (and most of the range reports you can find here) all shoot 240gr or heavier projectiles best between 80-100grains by volume... if you were to shoot over snow, you'd probably start finding unburnt powder when you get over 100-105 grains by volume (depending on the bullet weight). The barrel just isn't long enough to burn more than about 100gr by volume.

Back