Remington 700 ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why would a Stainless steel Action bubble up like this.
You have to look close to see it.
Was thinking about buying it but I don’t know about this.

Attachments

• C4646853-443C-4B38-A834-688DB23031BA.jpeg
    C4646853-443C-4B38-A834-688DB23031BA.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 72
Most likely, the barrel is even worse. The bolt assembly and internals are probably gunked up and corroded as well, it just depends on what the owner did and did not clean. It may be possible to salvage the action and bolt, there are several bolt kits available which include a new firing pin, bolt head, and breech plug. Screw on a new 45 cal fast twist barrel and you would have yourself a nice muzzleloader, but it will be somewhat expensive.

Last edited:
Most likely, the barrel is even worse. The bolt assembly and internals are probably gunked up and corroded as well, it just depends on what the owner did and did not clean. It may be possible to salvage the action and bolt, there are several bolt kits available which include a new firing pin, bolt head, and breech plug. Screw on a new 45 cal fast twist barrel and you would have yourself a nice muzzleloader but it be somewhat expensive.
Better figure in the cost of a new aftermarket trigger and stock too . Remington factory triggers are notorious safety problems when pull weight is lowered . Many just go off when they want to , like when opening or closeing the bolt !!! Unexpectectedly !!! Dangerous and scary !!! Those triggers are a PRIORITY REPLACE !!!
Nice aftermarket parts is where the 700ml really shines . Nearly anything you can think of is readily available for them and probably always will be . Nothing else comes close to this kind of support for a rifle !!! That is NICE !!! Just about any short coming can be addressed . No other rifle has this available quite like the Rem 700 !!!

If the price is right and something like this interests you id grab it !!! A bolt and bp kit then a trigger are all you really must have if everything else is good . The sky is the limit beyond that !!!

Last edited:
Thats from somebody not cleaning their rifle as they should . Its stain--less not stain proof . Our powders are CORROSIVE and many get Lazy !!! Sad but so.......

ABSOLUTE Truth here :lewis: I have been preaching this for MANY MANY years now (Stainless, EXACTLY what it Stands for, it STAINS-LESS, But fact is it stil Does! Just Takes a Little Longer) The Mentality of a LOT of guy’s on the Wa Coast where i spent 38 Years, they would Buy Stainless Rifles, and then Swear they were impervious to Corrosion Etc. That they didn’t need to Clean them often, if any? This is Back when i started Educating Folks about Stainless (STAINS LESS) MANY Rifles were made a Mess out of From Guy’s that didn’t know any better. With Rifles, NOT all Stainless used is Created Equal, Some Stainless Guns are Fairly Pathetic at Staining, and some are VERY Durable

Last edited:
Ok.
Thanks for your feed back
Did you ever make a decision about this ss700ml 280bravo ??? Did the guy want too much or did that corrosion scare you off ?? They make for an awesome mz fixed up !!! There are ways to deal with that if he'll talk nice first . Im doing one up right now actually !!! Or theres a Rem UML 50 for sale right now in the classified section with little use . Kinda heavy to me but still nice . What say you ???

Last edited:
He won’t talk to me.
I’ve been asking questions and know no response back from him.
I already have 2 700 ml blued but been looking for a SS I’ll just going to keep looking I’ll find one some day.
He was asking $275 I ask him if he would drop the price and I have not heard back.

He won’t talk to me.
I’ve been asking questions and know no response back from him.
I already have 2 700 ml blued but been looking for a SS I’ll just going to keep looking I’ll find one some day.
He was asking $275 I ask him if he would drop the price and I have not heard back.
Huh.....isnt the talkative type eh . $275 isnt horrible IF the rest of it is ok . I take it that its a bare gun too , ie no scope etc ??? I got mine for $250 a couple years back with a 2.5X scope ,extremely clean too , but that was then . They keep gettin harder to find and more expensive too .

Last edited:
No he’s not talkative.
Yes it’s bare gun no scope and I’ve been wondering about the barrel to don’t know if I want to put money in a barrel right know or not.
Yes I’m picky about my ML I like them to be rust free and pitt free my wife get mad at me when I use Q -tips to glean my rifles.

No he’s not talkative.
Yes it’s bare gun no scope and I’ve been wondering about the barrel to don’t know if I want to put money in a barrel right know or not.
Yes I’m picky about my ML I like them to be rust free and pitt free my wife get mad at me when I use Q -tips to glean my rifles.
If...….. you ever in the future want to convert it and have a better action, you might want to consider that RUM in the classifieds, which already has the Arrowhead conversion breech plug. Lugs on the bolt are much better than not. That RUM can be shot with or without sabots. I'd shy away from others mistakes, no matter the price.
Have the wife pick you up your own package of 500 Q-tips at the Wal-Mart. My wife picks up 500 for $3.23...…… no more mad wife :)

If...….. you ever in the future want to convert it and have a better action, you might want to consider that RUM in the classifieds, which already has the Arrowhead conversion breech plug. Lugs on the bolt are much better than not. That RUM can be shot with or without sabots. I'd shy away from others mistakes, no matter the price.
Have the wife pick you up your own package of 500 Q-tips at the Wal-Mart. My wife picks up 500 for $3.23...…… no more mad wife :)

I saw that RUM been thinking about it.
And I’ll have the wife pick me Up some really never thought about having her get me some I just thought it was ok I tell her everything Is 50-50 in marriage but she tells me not her Q-tipps 😁.

That RUM is kinda attractive when you consider its already got the ASG parts in it fitted too . Now its bh209 compatible . I dont know how You Hunt though , id hate to carry that around !!! WAY more weight than i like for alot of deep woods wandering !!! Anybody that says different @ over 10lbs either doesnt walk far or 4 wheels to a shack to shoot out the windows !!! Without the ASG conversion id personally never consider it at all , and thats to use it "as is" . Depending on future plans that involve a barrel swap and smokless that plug becomes a non factor as its Not compatable for it . The lugs are indeed nice but unless youd really want super warp speed not manditory . Not worth an extra $500 to me . I dont like RUM stocks . It too could really use a trigger as well . Without adding in a brake's cost , youd probably never explore max loads anyway . Not all are sabot friendly . Just in case you werent aware i figured id mention this .

Last edited:
It would be a no brainer, if you can afford that RUM in the classifieds, buy it. Much better platform for any future plans, or shoot it as is. Stock or with a custom barrel it gives you much more range. Words of wisdom though. If you buy that RUM send out to LR Customs for a muzzle brake. RUM's and UF's with max loads will beat you to death. LRC brakes will reduce felt recoil IMO about 50%. Are the RUM's heavy? Yep, but unless you're humping up and down mountains, IMO it's no big deal.

I have a brand new older model without a serial number on the barrel what would it be worth? I would consider selling it.

Latest posts

Back