Remington 700 mountain profile barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that pretty much ruled out a rebore for me - almost price of new. I'm probably going with a McGowen - but I have to sell some things first.

Well its $300 to $350 for a barrel rebore . Thats not really worth it . The only good thing is they are cut rifled which IS a better method . I see no guarentees for accuracy or if they must scrap it . Id stick to a new barrel ..
Douglas is about the same money as a McGowen and i think a better barrel . Lothar Walther is DEFINETELY one for you to look at too . So far i like them best for the money , contours , .458 1 in 18 (slow as is available) , threaded both ends if wanted . They are REALLY nice barrels too !!! Myself , i think gettin one threaded for a brake NOW is smart move cuz its damn expensive later on !!! You can always cap it if not used .

Douglas is about the same money as a McGowen and i think a better barrel . Lothar Walther is DEFINETELY one for you to look at too . So far i like them best for the money , contours , .458 1 in 18 (slow as is available) , threaded both ends if wanted . They are REALLY nice barrels too !!! Myself , i think gettin one threaded for a brake NOW is smart move cuz its damn expensive later on !!! You can always cap it if not used .
That Lothar Walther is the best buy if you ask me .

Not had much experience with lothar walther.

Timeline, quality and customer service at brux is hard to beat and they are extremely experienced with muzzleloader barrels.
Can't have a choked muzzle obviously so finish lapping is crucial.

Yes I'm not going anywhere.
Just like to hunt this time of year

Not had much experience with lothar walther.

Timeline, quality and customer service at brux is hard to beat and they are extremely experienced with muzzleloader barrels.
Can't have a choked muzzle obviously so finish lapping is crucial.

Yes I'm not going anywhere.
Just like to hunt this time of year
Yes choked muzzles are JUNK , too many mz's come that way !!!! Ultimate firearms used Lothar's . Hope His fortune is with you in the woods hunting !!! I always invite Him along....
Does brux offer suggestions as to a lighter contour ??? Not interested in an all- out contour for heavy smokeless loads . Interested in a carry gun with minimum weight that will still do the job .

Last edited:
You wont blow that barrel with BH209. It has a 5" or 6" long full sized shank. That leaves plenty for threading and plug length. Luke might have something similar for around $325. I would go with a 28" 1-18 if heavy BH209 load sabotless is the main goal. That will stabilize virtually anything you could shoot. You can always get it cut down later if you need/want. The 28" should leave you with around 26"+ of usable barrel after its all done.

You wont blow that barrel with BH209. It has a 5" or 6" long full sized shank. That leaves plenty for threading and plug length. Luke might have something similar for around $325. I would go with a 28" 1-18 if heavy BH209 load sabotless is the main goal. That will stabilize virtually anything you could shoot. You can always get it cut down later if you need/want. The 28" should leave you with around 26"+ of usable barrel after its all done.
Good idea , and after its done , with practice and a good scope , its a HUNTABLE 600 yd capable rifle too !!! Thats with BH !!!

1-20 will stabilize most stuff and might be better for sabots and some conicals.

BUT if you want to shoot the really high BC 45s at long range the 1-18 is a better choice especially with BH209 just because the speed limitations. Pittmans larger Accumax and Aeromax bullets are VERY long bullets.

Brux #6 blank is $320 at Hankins. Thats a little lighter than a Sendaro.
Patrick thats not going to be a tank with that contour and a 45 cal hole through it id have to say . Its not gunna be your mountain rifles weight but honestly what is ??
Man this shoppin around sure is tough!! Lots of factors to consider for sure !!!
Its really nice to get this other tech to help on this . I dont see any other way of knowing these things that truly are vital to know . Always best to be informed--- FIRST !!!! IF theres more to know , Please , Dont Stop !!! Im for 1 quite happy to be your student !!!

If this moneys gonna be spent its best to have "grow room" built in a bit as well Patrick . Just a thought thats worth consideration for me anyhow .I think we would like alot of the same features in this .

Last edited:
I would recommend at minimum going with a modified sendero like Luke carries.
#6 is pretty light for a 45 cal barrel.
Then consider a ag composites or stockys carbon fiber stock.

Very light and then your set is you want to play with smokeless someday.

Back