Remington 700 mountain profile barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick McChristy

Reaction score
So I ended up with an extra 50 cal ss barrel. Thinking about turning down the profile or adding flutes to make the barrel lighter. Curious what wall thickness should be maintained at the muzzle? My 700 centerfire mountain rifle barrel sure is thin. I had kicked around some ordering a 45 cal barrel for it but I haven't found anything cheaper than a McGowan prefit and $300+ - basically have given up on finding a 45 cal factory barrel. I don't really need a smokeless setup, but would like something lighter.

All depends on the steel used. The muzzle OD on my Douglas chromoly 50cal barrel is .793" and that is a heavier contour than the typical NULA 50cal

So I ended up with an extra 50 cal ss barrel. Thinking about turning down the profile or adding flutes to make the barrel lighter. Curious what wall thickness should be maintained at the muzzle? My 700 centerfire mountain rifle barrel sure is thin. I had kicked around some ordering a 45 cal barrel for it but I haven't found anything cheaper than a McGowan prefit and $300+ - basically have given up on finding a 45 cal factory barrel. I don't really need a smokeless setup, but would like something lighter.

My suggestion...….. go straight to any of the top quality custom muzzleloader builders and ask that question.

I would recommend contacting barrel maker.
Contouring a already finished lapped barrel is asking for inconsistent bore conditions in my opinion.

Barrel makers have there individual process.
It's my opinion changing contour on a finished barrel could be a problem.
Especially button rifled barrel.

Contact barrel maker

Barrel makers have there individual process.
It's my opinion changing contour on a finished barrel could be a problem.
Especially button rifled barrel.

Contact barrel maker
Witb a button rifled barrel its a really good possibility . Fluteing is the worst offender of changeing things . Also od grinding is the best option by far for any barrel , not a lathe . A cut rifled barrel , such as a Bartlein , Kreiger , etc , is the most stable (especially in chrome moly) by far for this . Button rifleing is a very stressfull method period . Regardless it still happens minutely . Get a lighter profile originally and leave the flutes alone for saving weight on all of them for best results .

Last edited:
Witb a button rifled barrel its a really good possibility . Fluteing is the worst offender of changeing things . Also od grinding is the best option by far for any barrel , not a lathe . A cut rifled barrel , such as a Bartlein , Kreiger , etc , is the most stable (especially in chrome moly) by far for this . Regardless it still happens minutely . Get a lighter profile originally and leave the flutes alone for saving weight on all of them for best results .
Be nice if Wilson barrels offered some more options for profile and twist . Cooper Arms owns them . Cooper has recently offered a 45 ml with 1 in 22 twist so they Can make it . Its a really , really nice rifle too . Nicer than the Paramount absolutely . Dont know its weight but its pricey !!! MAYBE a barrel could be had through Cooper ?? I havent checked .The Wilsons can be had profiled for under $200 online if you want that profile and twist . RAGGED HOLE BARRELS .COM . A Cooper will shoot too !!!!!! They too are button rifled barrels .

Last edited:
Be nice if Wilson barrels offered some more options for profile and twist . Cooper Arms owns them . Cooper has recently offered a 45 ml with 1 in 22 twist so they Can make it . Its a really , really nice rifle too . Nicer than the Paramount absolutely . Dont know its weight but its pricey !!! MAYBE a barrel could be had through Cooper ?? I havent checked .The Wilsons can be had profiled for under $200 online if you want that profile and twist . RAGGED HOLE BARRELS .COM . A Cooper will shoot too !!!!!! They too are button rifled barrels .
How about you and i share info if we find out something worthwhile Patrick McCristy ??? Im not a zillionaire either !!!!

Yes for sure, sorry I missed this earlier, I remember looking at Wilson previously, don't remember what gives exactly - didn't they advertise blanks on ebay for awhile?

Less $$$ if you skip ebay and go to Ragged Hole Barrels . com directly . Cooper may have the 1 in 22 barrel as well in parts dept .

I am currently leaning toward a mcgowen barrel mainly because of the profile. However what would bore size & twist should I be looking forward ideally in a 45 cal barrel? I don't have a particular bullet in mind, but would be something that can shoot black horn or smokeless, sabot & or sabotless. If this needs moved to the smokeless forum for better info, just let me know.

I am currently leaning toward a mcgowen barrel mainly because of the profile. However what would bore size & twist should I be looking forward ideally in a 45 cal barrel? I don't have a particular bullet in mind, but would be something that can shoot black horn or smokeless, sabot & or sabotless. If this needs moved to the smokeless forum for better info, just let me know.
.450L and .458G i believe with 1 in 18 to 1 in 22 . Most seem to go for a 1 in 20 . Ask about a gain twist as well . I have a 300 win mag that should be done anytime now with a Bartlein and starts@1 in 10.5 and 26" latter ends up 1 in 9.5 so bullets wont go to "sleep". Probably best to go to them boys in smokeless but " bestill " is really who you want to talk to or luke from Arrowhead sporting goods . Both are builders . Luke has a DIY kit but its kinda a tank . Seems he's moved on from 700ml's . Good luck !!!! By the way Pat , nice to meet you !!! --Sideshow

Thanks, I nice to meet you as well! just looking for some info & have a few things to sell & more questions before I order anything lol.

McGowen is ok for a lower end blank. They wont be as uniform as a Pacnor or Brux and the Pacnor is a better sabot shooter than either. McGowen states .450 lands but you will likely end up at .451+ which isnt great for sabots. The Harvester light blue is a tiny bit small for that but its not hard to remedy. On the other hand .451 aint bad at all for sabotless and conicals as long as its a uniform .451 from end to end.

1-20 has a serious advantage over 1-22. It will shoot some of the higher BC 40cals far more easily. Bullets like the Pittman .402 Accumax are pretty long for a 1-22 but shoot fine in a 1-20. All the Fury custom bullets should be ok in the 1-22 excluding the largest offerings. Dennis said the 40-250gr Startips should be fine and thats a great choice for a MAGNUM BH209 rifle.

My .45 1-22 McGowen has been a good shooter for me. It does have a tight spot right before you seat the bullet on the powder. I have shot smokeless and BH209 and both have been very accurate out to 300 yds.

Thanks for sharing, I very well may end up with a McGowen - still kicking a lot around. Gonna hunt with it this season 12/28 as a 54 cal smoker while setting up my son with my 50 & blackhorn. If you would SCHUNTER pm me some loads/bullets you using. Thanks

Thanks for sharing, I very well may end up with a McGowen - still kicking a lot around. Gonna hunt with it this season 12/28 as a 54 cal smoker while setting up my son with my 50 & blackhorn. If you would SCHUNTER pm me some loads/bullets you using. Thanks
Well its $300 to $350 for a barrel rebore . Thats not really worth it . The only good thing is they are cut rifled which IS a better method . I see no guarentees for accuracy or if they must scrap it . Id stick to a new barrel ..

Latest posts

Back