Remington sued?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
I have been seeing Remington all over the net and did a search to see what the noise is about.

I may be a little behind but sounds like they got sued by the families of the sandy hook elementary shooting in which Adam Lanza killed his mother and the principal the counselor some other staff and a group of 5 and 6 year olds.

The kid used a Remington bushmaster and a Glock. What was Glock in Austria and they couldn't get sued?

seriously how could somebody hold the firearms manufacturer responsible for the actions of this adam guy?

Maybe that's why Remington's in the financial mess it's in right now. I truly feel for the families but seriously you cannot blame the firearm manufacturer blame the brain behind using the firearm.

I don't know if that suit ever got going. Last I heard, a judge had dismissed it.
Remington was sued by owners of the model 700 because it was defective. A number of people were either killed or wounded because of the faulty trigger, bolt assembly that caused the rifle to fire when the bolt was being closed.

Don't know all the details, actually none of them. Remington has been mismanaged for years. DuPont was the last corporation to own them that did a decent job of management.

Remington has been sold and disassembled. The individual companies were sold to different buyers....

Didn't hurt my feelings at all......
The only part of this that saddens me is that big green Put themselves in this position. Once upon a time they were a great company with a great product. But then again the old original Remington company has been gone for years. The only thing we can hope for now is that some of the brands that they destroyed will be resurrected

My only experience with Remington is the ammo. Used to buy 9mm at Walmart for under 10 bucks if I remember correctly.

Great ammo for the range. seems like a lot of these gun manufacturers nowadays are having issues.

Rats! I have a few M700s, most are good shooters. Never had trouble with them, but really never shot them much. Hope that trigger/bolt thing can be cured with a new trigger.

Hope the shotguns are OK; got a few of them too.

If they allow the suit to continue it is the equivalent of suing the automobile manufacturer of the car a drunk used to kill someone. But that's how things are going now days. Especially against guns.

My son borrowed my Rem 700 years ago and when they got ready to enter the woods he chambered a round and the rifle fired. Luckily the rifle was pointed in a safe position and nobody got hurt. But it sure did scare the crap out of everyone. They all looked at him and questioned him as to what the hell did he did. I had the rifle checked out and all was fine. But I had my gunsmith change out the safety of the rifle to one that Remington used before where you could not open the bolt once the safety was engaged. So far that was the only incident with my rifle.

If they allow the suit to continue it is the equivalent of suing the automobile manufacturer of the car a drunk used to kill someone. But that's how things are going now days. Especially against guns.
If more people do sue the car companies for a drunk driver killing someone, then the proposal to remove the protection of firearms manufactures may just go away. I have always said, that if this country really wants to cut down of the number of people killed per year the legislators should pass a law that requires every vehicle sold in the U.S. to have a breathalyzer installed so the car won't start until there is a passing test. If the device is disabled and a drunk driver is pulled over, it is automatic 3 months in jail, no ifs ands or buts. In addition the same principal can be applied to distracted driving. Every vehicle sold in the U.S to have a cell phone jammer so that the occupants cannot send or receive calls when the ignition is on. Disabling the jammer is a mandatory 3 month jail sentence. Remember, driving is a privilege in this country, whereas owning a gun is a constitutional right not to be infringed.

I had one that damn near got me in trouble. I was in South Africa on a plains game hunt. I am not going on record about it but I'll just say I retired that 700 immediately and permanently.

Some Rem 700's had bad factory triggers. Peeps got hurt/expired. It was kept pretty low key.
Mine seems fine, but I'm pretty cautious when closing the bolt.:oops:

My cousins husband had a 700 do that very thing, chambered a round and bang. That was many many years ago. He never had an issue prior or after.🤷‍♂️

I don't let anyone with a 700 hunt with me unless they have replaced the trigger. Remington made a financial decision to pay the lawsuits instead of fixing the triggers. That decision killed some people. I do not and will not own a Remington period.

My early 90s REM ML has been fine but if I ever shoot it again, I’ll use extra caution.
I’ve been meaning to try it with BH209. It’s set up with a sealed breech system that
was sold here on the forum years ago.

I own a bunch of Remingtons. 700's and 870's are my favorites. I had 5 rifles reworked under the X Mark Pro trigger recall.
It seems we are confusing a few issues in this thread. While the Supreme Court has re-instated the Sandy Hook lawsuit, it isn't what drove them to bankruptcy.
What actually gutted Remington was the way their owners, a hedge fund, treated them. Once they got Remington sort of stable, the holding company that owned them had Remington get a loan to pay the hedge fund back the amount of money they had invested by purchasing them. I think they call that capitalism. I think there's a link to the details of the saga floating around on this forum somewhere.
Back to the triggers...I've never had a misfire with any of my Remingtons. I've heard of lots of them happening, but I've never personally witnessed one. I'm not saying things don't happen, but Remington couldn't replicate the issue after that accidental discharge shooting suit where the mom shot her son through the horse trailer. Of course inspection of that rifle showed the trigger had been altered, and neglected, but testing could not replicate the misfire.

I also have a handful of Remington 700 ML's. I had all mine converted to a sealed breach system, using 32 ACP brass for ignition. Using Blackhorn doesn't bother them like it would in the factory original set up. I tried getting them set up for 25 ACP brass, like I use in my Encores. Streamlining my logistics backtrain, if you will. But I never found a suitable set up. I may upgrade my Encores to match them.
I have no issues hunting with the 700's, or bringing them out in polite society at the range.

I had a Remington 700 in 30-06. Every now and again it would fire when closing the bolt. Brought it to Remington when it was in Ilion, NY and they fixed it for free. Got rid of it because I just didn't trust it. Got a Remington Mountain Rifle in 270win, love that gun never a problem.