Remington sued?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hedge funds did in Remington, twice.

they saddled them with a bunch of debt that wasn’t theirs, mismanaged the company because they didn’t know anything about firearms and finally threw in the towel causing the break apart sale.

Some Rem 700's had bad factory triggers. Peeps got hurt/expired. It was kept pretty low key.
Mine seems fine, but I'm pretty cautious when closing the bolt.:oops:
Some advice don't squeeze the trigger on your 700 when it's on safe. for any reason.

Every Remington rifle I've owned has had a trigger replacement as a matter of course. Timney triggers are much better than the factory part, and are easy to install.

Remington was systematically bankrupted by Cerberus Capital Management.

Before i began drastically reducing my firearms collection, i owned 17 Remington model 7, 700, 721, 722 and 600 rifles. i still own five model 700 rifles with their original triggers. None of those rifles fired when it was not supposed to.

IMO: Whenever model 700 rifle goes off prematurely it was caused to one of two things:

1. Bubba "adjusting" the trigger.

2. Crud in the trigger mechanism.

The Remington 700 trigger is susceptible to getting crudded up with powder fouling, etc. Every few years i remove Remington 700 triggers and clean them with brake cleaner. Sometimes black liquid runs out.

O: Whenever model 700 rifle goes off prematurely it was caused to one of two things:

1. Bubba "adjusting" the trigger.

2. Crud in the trigger mechanism.
Not true, plain and simple, as proved in the courts, and by yours truly.

I’ve had (2) Accidental Discharges with (2) Different Older Rem 700s. Mine were when pushing the Safety to the Fire Position! Both times it was during extremely cold weather 🥶 I know several other people that have had the same experience. As mentioned above at a minimum use a Bore Guide when cleaning & Flush the Trigger thoroughly with Lighter Fluid. The Pre ‘83 Models Locked the Bolt & had to be taken Off Safety to Unload! All mine that are used for Big Game have been replaced, Not a Good Feeling when a Big Buck is approaching & your Rifle Fires when you take the Safety Off 🔥 💥!

I don't know if that suit ever got going. Last I heard, a judge had dismissed it.
Remington was sued by owners of the model 700 because it was defective. A number of people were either killed or wounded because of the faulty trigger, bolt assembly that caused the rifle to fire when the bolt was being closed.
I saw a documentary on the "Remington moment" a few years ago.. they had fired also when the safety was moved to fire.. When i was 16, i had one go off (in the air, when i was standing on the front porch.., nov 1975.) when i came out of the woods from hunting & flipped safety off (30-06 ) to unload. , one had to take the safety off to pull the bolt back & extract the round.. Dad tried his best to get it to repeat & it didn't so it was assumed i had my finger on the trigger. Dad had been dead many years when i saw the show, (which had Mike Walker interview, he had a better trigger design that Rem did not use! which blocked firing pin drop. & allowed bolt retraction with safety on.. Rem didn't want to change because it was cheaper to use the old design., & it was 2006 before it was really fixed. I knew i didn't have my finger on the trigger but it went bang, & that was the only way it could have happened.. (so the adult men thought).. Several people were killed & injured by this exact problem.. I wish dad had been alive to see me vindicated (35-40 yrs after the "Remington moment".)... It was so cold that day i came out of woods because my feet were freezing... so the rifle was very cold.

Last edited:
I guess if you think that was a documentary, our definitions of the word differ.
I'm not doubting what your experience was. I do agree decisions are made all the time in the business world with the bottom line being the 800 pound gorilla in the room when they decide.
This thread isn't about that, though. It's about how Remington is being sued because someone used one of their products. More people are killed every year by drunk drivers, but no one sues Ford/GM/Toyota, to name a few, because it doesn't make sense. They aren't responsible for the illegal acts of others. Remington isn't responsible for a young man killing his mother, illegally accessing her legally owned rifle, and going into a gun free zone hunting unarmed children, and adults.
When the Newtown tragedy occurred, and the debate started about arming school staff, I made pointed references to how that principal must have felt, when she looked into the CCTV monitor, and saw Adam Lansa, armed with a rifle and a pistol, shooting his way through the security doors. What did she have to defend the children under her charge, a stapler and a dirty eraser?

At the time I suggested they ask the teachers for volunteers to conceal carry in school. Have them properly trained and repeat the training often. The principal and some administrators should almost be require as part of the job. IMHO

I’ve had (2) Accidental Discharges with (2) Different Older Rem 700s. Mine were when pushing the Safety to the Fire Position! Both times it was during extremely cold weather 🥶 I know several other people that have had the same experience. As mentioned above at a minimum use a Bore Guide when cleaning & Flush the Trigger thoroughly with Lighter Fluid. The Pre ‘83 Models Locked the Bolt & had to be taken Off Safety to Unload! All mine that are used for Big Game have been replaced, Not a Good Feeling when a Big Buck is approaching & your Rifle Fires when you take the Safety Off 🔥 💥!
Finally, someone who has had the same experience as I had!! Takes a while to get over that, and when the rifle is brand new it's hard to convince people about what happened.

Mine was a pawn shop find, so I don't know who did what to it, but I had a 700 fire when I closed the bolt. 😧 The only other indicator was that the safety started getting hard to disengage. I didn't own it for much longer after that. I also don't judge all 700's for that. But it sure did reinforce good gun safety practices!

I guess if you think that was a documentary, our definitions of the word differ.
I'm not doubting what your experience was. I do agree decisions are made all the time in the business world with the bottom line being the 800 pound gorilla in the room when they decide.
This thread isn't about that, though. It's about how Remington is being sued because someone used one of their products. More people are killed every year by drunk drivers, but no one sues Ford/GM/Toyota, to name a few, because it doesn't make sense. They aren't responsible for the illegal acts of others. Remington isn't responsible for a young man killing his mother, illegally accessing her legally owned rifle, and going into a gun free zone hunting unarmed children, and adults.
When the Newtown tragedy occurred, and the debate started about arming school staff, I made pointed references to how that principal must have felt, when she looked into the CCTV monitor, and saw Adam Lansa, armed with a rifle and a pistol, shooting his way through the security doors. What did she have to defend the children under her charge, a stapler and a dirty eraser?
It was 2 hours about the "remington moment", looked like a documentary to me

I have read the posts about the 700's firing, got me wondering about mine, never had an incident with it. I bought it from a friend in 1975, hunted with it in Wisconsin and upstate New York winters. Should I be wary about using it or is there a serial number cut off, something like that to be sure I'm ok with it?

If it is from 1975 it is definitely on the Recall List. On Pre ‘83 Models Remington allowed you to take it to an Authorized Dealer to have the mechanism removed that required the Safety to be Off to Unload the Rifle (the Safety Locked the Bolt) This still didn’t Fix the Problem as I had the Accidental Discharges after this work was done.

I question the documentary because of how the show was done. Kind of like that extra igniter under the truck to get the fuel to burn when those trucks were t-boned.
As I recall, the military/law enforcement segment was a little short on objective verification. The opening bit about the mom having the accidental discharge, shooting her son through the horse trailer glossed over the "improvements" done to the trigger by the daddy-o, and the lack of cleaning performed. When you bugger with the trigger mechanism, the manufacturer should definately be responsible, right?
So while the show was called a documentary, I think the inherent bias of the production negates the factual nature of it. Like I said, kind of like the igniter that show added to the truck, for effect.