remove Scope to clean?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie2112

Reaction score
Just got a scope for my muzzleloader. First scope ever, actually.

After much research, got it mounted and boresighted. Going to the range today to zero it in.

But, I'm wondering......cleaning this thing will be a lot harder with the scope attached.

Should you remove the scope (remove the scope keeping the rings attached) for cleaning?

Or, do you clean the rifle with scope attached?

Thanks!

Mookie

Last edited:
You don't say what type of rifle you have. If it's an inline, no problem leaving it on.
I had put a scope on one of my sidehammer guns once and discovered that I couldn't remove the barrel with the scope on.
Maybe I was just lucky but I removed the scope cleaned up and put the scope back on.
Never lost my zero.
You could get some quick detach rings for your gun. Then for sure you'll have no worries.

You don't say what type of rifle you have. If it's an inline, no problem leaving it on.

It's a Traditions Tracker. Just cleaned it today with scope on, but it's definitely nicer and easier to clean with scope off.

I have the rings installed with thread-lock (the blue stuff), and the mount bases are Weaver style.

Thanks!

Hatchet Jack, you just reminded me that I have a set of those rings somewhere in my stuff. I'd sell them for $ 25.00.
If Mookie isn't interested in your quick release rings I would be. Please send me a PM with brand, etc. Thanks.

If you have to remove the scope to clean the gun, buy a new gun. Seriously. that is a lot of effort, and I've never removed a scope and replaced it without having to sight it in again.

I won't own a M/L without quick detach rings of some type. I have had good luck with Leupold, Knight, Talley and Warne. All returned to zero without fail. Makes clean-up much easier. YMMV

Bill

For a Muzzleloader, Especially if shooting Real Blackpowder such as i do, I want to be able to easily remove my Scope so i can thoroughly clean the Bore, and Action. For me, This involves Dunking The Action end in a Bucket of Water, Obviously this isn’t gonna Work with a Scope on the Rifle.

For Scope Rings and Bases, I want STEEL on STEEL, That meaning STEEL Bases, and STEEL Rings, They can be Repeatedly Removed/Replaced on a Daily Basis if wanted? And will Return back to ZERO Everytime, I would NEVER Trust Aluminum Scope Rings & Bases for this type of Application.

My favorite Rings are Leupold Mark 4 Steel Rings, and Nightforce Xtreme Duty Rings. Scope is SIMPLE to Remove with a 1/2” Wrench or Socket. When i am ready to Re-assemble, I simply set my inch Pound Torque Wrench for 65 inch pounds and Re-install, No worries of losing ZERO.

Like this

Like most anything of HIGH Quality, it usually comes at a Price, The above is no exception. That said, I personally would Rather Pay the Price 1 time and KNOW that i can trust my Gear, Than Try and save a Few bucks by going with lesser Quality and NEVER Having confidence in my Gear. That’s me, and my opinions, Your Welcome to Take, or leave them :lewis:

Like most anything of HIGH Quality, it usually comes at a Price, The above is no exception. That said, I personally would Rather Pay the Price 1 time and KNOW that i can trust my Gear, Than Try and save a Few bucks by going with lesser Quality and NEVER Having confidence in my Gear. That’s me, and my opinions, Your Welcome to Take, or leave them :lewis:
X2

I would worry less about little QR levers and more about HOW they actually return to zero when remounted. There are several rings that conform to STANAG spec such as Seekins on the upper end and they dont use a QR lever. They use 2 small allens or torx to attach to the base.

Putting $120 rings on a $150 rifle though is a whole other matter. Good bases and STANAG rings have probably double the ring to base contact area. Then again we are back to good bases offered for that particular rifle. There simply are not any except for maybe Warnes. Hole spacing for other Traditions appears to be .860" which is the same as CVA break actions. I have no idea about the spacing on the Tracker model but its worth checking into. Warnes offers a set of steel bases for break action CVAs. Part# 980/982

Last edited:
I have never seen a good target rifle or hunting rifle with QR rings unless it has a very good set of back up open sights for the intended purpose.
Steel base and rings are the only way to go for dependability on a hard recoiling gun. If it's soft shooter you can get away with about anything within reason. Many Aluminum scope mount component work great and help keep the wht. down.

Seekins uses 7075 machined from billets. Not extrusions. They are one of the more popular rings used by NMLRA inline match and SML shooters. They are $130 and i just cant see the OP spending that kinda cash for his setup. I will wager my Contessa light weight dual lug rings return to zero for many many years but you got to have a true picatinny base for them to fit.

Best bang for the buck is IF the Warnes CVA bases fit the Tracker and a set of Warnes Horizontal rings. Both are steel and the new Warnes rings conform to STANAG style contact area. All together that would be well under $100 for rings and bases. Probably close to $75 total if you shop around. Ive seen those rings for about $50.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-1-inch-fixed-pa-riflescope-rings.html
I would double check the spacing and maybe call Warnes about these bases.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-rifle-scope-cva-all-round-barrell-models-2-pc-steel-base.html

Last edited:
If a scope is removed from a gun for cleaning regardless of how it is mounted it will require to be shot and resighted. Some more some less . The QR will get you close but never back to before removal. Just saying!.

Seekins uses 7075 machined from billets. Not extrusions. They are one of the more popular rings used by NMLRA inline match and SML shooters. They are $130 and i just cant see the OP spending that kinda cash for his setup. I will wager my Contessa light weight dual lug rings return to zero for many many years but you got to have a true picatinny base for them to fit.

Best bang for the buck is IF the Warnes CVA bases fit the Tracker and a set of Warnes Horizontal rings. Both are steel and the new Warnes rings conform to STANAG style contact area. All together that would be well under $100 for rings and bases. Probably close to $75 total if you shop around. Ive seen those rings for about $50.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-1-inch-fixed-pa-riflescope-rings.html
I would double check the spacing and maybe call Warnes about these bases.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-rifle-scope-cva-all-round-barrell-models-2-pc-steel-base.html
I have used the Warren bases and rings (steel) they are very good for the cost and will take anything you can give them If you get them on correctly.

I have never seen a good target rifle or hunting rifle with QR rings unless it has a very good set of back up open sights for the intended purpose.
Steel base and rings are the only way to go for dependability on a hard recoiling gun. If it's soft shooter you can get away with about anything within reason. Many Aluminum scope mount component work great and help keep the wht. down.

On anything but a Muzzleloader, I am fine with a Good Quality set of Aluminum Base/Rings, I have them. But on a Muzzleloader (I shoot Real Blackpowder ONLY) I can’t leave a Scope on the way i clean, The scope MUST be Removed every single time i shoot the Rifle, be it 1 Shot or 20 Shots, Doesn’t matter. For this, i would use STEEL on STEEL ONLY for the Durability of Constant ON/OFF Use.

The Guy’s shooting BH209 Have Totally Different Cleaning Methods that Don’t Require them to Remove the Scope, I can see a Good Quality set of Aluminum Base/Rings being Just fine here :lewis: But shooting Real Blackpowder like i do, That stuff is NASTY, The Action of a Plunger Style Rifle gets Really DIRTY from “Blow By” For this, I see no other option but to Remove the Scope so i can Access the Breech end, To scrub the Fouling from the Action, an Old Tooth Brush with Dawn Dish Soap, in a Bucket of Water, When I’m done i Turn it up and Run Clean water through it.

My Old Knight MK-85, Note the STEEL Bases, And My Scope had STEEL Leupold Mark 4s on it :) Try cleaning this PIG SH&T Nasty thing with the Scope Left on
M3rNfx0.jpg

meVzipC.jpg

I Cleaned my Modern Knight Mountaineer .45/1:20 The Same way as above, Since i shot Real Blackpowder in it as Well.
9lr5RjK.jpg

I'm with you Idaho on your cleaning and fully understand. You do enough shooting to check the gun after cleaning and tweak the scope and gun back on target. I'm sure it only takes a few shots or less. Just a bummer having to remove a scope but necessary on some guns. I use the blackhorn and as you know it's like cleaning up a center fire. I use hot water in my round ball guns they only use FFG Goex. Still have almost a case of it. And probably will have that powder a long time for my round ball guns haven't been fired since 1993. Their oiled and greased sitting there under glass looking pretty. One is a 60cal English sporting rifle walnut stock Swamped barrel single trigger. The other one is a full stock Hawkin, walnut stock 58 cal set trigger. They are percussion, Both are pretty fancy , good engraving, wire inly and so on. If I get around to it will get some pictures to show. I built these guns years ago. Don't have a camera that is of the quality most use on this Blog. But if I'm going to brag I better get some pictures going.
I used to be able to checker and chase engrave. Not anymore my eyes have grown pretty tired even with glasses and magnifiers hood.

Back