remove Scope to clean?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Knights are nearly spotless in the breach regardless of powder used BUT i still prefer rings that come off and return to zero well. Its one of the reasons i DONT like regular Warnes rings. The 2 bottom screws hold them to the base and the scope. I do prefer steel bases but there are several excellent 7075 rings out there. Even Night Force has some top shelf 7075 rings. Seekins, TPS, APA, USO, NF ect ect, the list is pretty lengthy for well made alloy rings but you will pay dearly for many of them.

Depending how the Contessa work out i may try these next if i upgrade to a 30mm scope. I would still like a SWFA SS or Verocity for my Mountaineer 45 fast twist.

TPS X-Rings...about $130 a set.
hybrid-ring-black.179_300.jpg

Nice looking ring (very strong) although not a quick release. Should do well on a good base. Similar to the Warren design
None of my guns require removing the scope for cleaning. More work than I want to do. I keep the scope lenses clean and that's it.

One little Torx 25 removes them. Hardly an issue considering you need a 1/2" socket for some of the high end steel rings. The key, like i said is HOW they mount to the base. They sit flush on the top of the base. Warnes Maxima or QR Maxima DO NOT. Leupold QRW2 and PRW2 dont appear to either.

The only contact rings like that make are on the angled edges of the Weaver style base. You can tell by looking at the bottom of some rings. 7075 on 7075 is rock solid when they mount correctly. Steel on steel is far better if its just your typical Weaver contact points. So for the OP, Warnes bases (if they fit) and the new Warnes Horizontals are by far the best bang for the buck. He only needs a cheap little Torx to take them off. Return to zero will be about as good as you will achieve at that price point.

The new Warnes Horizontals should mount like the right pic Other Maxima rings from Warnes wont.
Picatinny-vs-NATO-rail-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Warren Maxima rings will only sit flush on a warren base I just checked 2 guns both are flush. Can't tell you about the QR rings have never used them for my guns or a customers gun. Have never had any issues with interchangeable weaver style or Picatinny rails All Leupold stuff works well together as well as Redfield. Can't go wrong with Weaver on a low cost Firearm if there put on correctly and some one is on a budget.
Just remember each and every time one removes a scope from a rifle regardless of mount type it will have to be re- sighted. For a gun that has to take a lot of abuse Night Force is hard to beat.
I have also used Talley, Vortex and Burris with very few issues. Just the Vortex on ML guns
For CVA guns their cintered cast base works fine

Mine dont. Hard to see in this pic but my Warnes on Warnes are not flush. Then the kicker is like i said.....The same 2 screws that secure them to the base also tighten the scope. Its a very poor design to take on and off a base if you want to return to zero. Put them same rings on a picatinny base and you have even less contact area because spacing is not the same.
gfAeRkF.jpg

pURXMhK.jpg

C2XpRSl.jpg

Put NATO-STANAG rings on a picatinny rail and you get full contact.
0LA7F2u.jpg

bJyoYdw.jpg

What you see may not be what you get try to slide a .001 shim stock under there. See what happens. Your top photo is not a Maxima Horizontal which is what I use. Try a Horizontal you might like it P/N 502 L. M. H. High
Nice pictures!

I believe that is what i said numerous times already...USE THE NEW WARNES HORIZONTALS. They are made to sit flush.

If a scope is removed from a gun for cleaning regardless of how it is mounted it will require to be shot and resighted. Some more some less . The QR will get you close but never back to before removal. Just saying!.

On my Optima pistol I removed my Leapers 2X7 scope and put on a 2.5moa Red Dot. After shooting in the Red Dot I decided I didn't really care for it and put the Leapers back on. I assumed that I'd have to re-sight but the first 5 shots at 50 yards were right where they'd have hit before I removed the scope and if anything the group tightened up a hair. The Leapers came with a set of steel rings that clamp to the base with 1/4" bolts/nuts and I feel that this has much to do with not needing to actually re-sight the gun. My suggestion is to spend the money on decent rings but I agree with your some more, some less and I also agree that any time the scope is removed and replaced it should be shot to assure things have stayed the same. I'd never hunt a gun without making darned sure anything I've done regarding the scope or sights hasn't changed things.

I haven't tried them yet but they look good and price is good. I will be replacing my last set with them sometime later in the year. All depends on being able to have a range available. The one nearest me is still closed for some maintenance issue and dispute with the contractor. Its a huge fuster cluck from what ive read.

I really think if you want steel and a reasonably good chance of returning to zero this new Horizontal ring from Warnes is the way to go unless you want to spend quite a bit more $$$. You might find some Chinese made stuff cheaper but you wont save much.

Back