Renegade Barrel Length?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all the naysayers, answer me this?

Where will anyone find a medium-to-high quality, percussion, sidelock, short-barreled, light weight, .45 caliber, 1:14" twist rifle capable of light to medium loads with saboted bullets, bore riders, or lead conicals? With adequate iron sights out to 50 yards, and scoped with Q-D rings, as well? Weighing NO MORE THAN 7.5 pounds, all up.

MtMonkey has quite specific desires in a sidelock, and frankly, those desires simply CANNOT BE MET without spending some decent money. The average Thompson/Center rifle weighs WELL OVER 8 pounds from the factory, and that's in the larger .50 & .54 caliber bores. When you factor in the weight of .45 caliber barrels in 15/16" & 1" oçtagon, the weight of a rifle starts to climb rapidly.

A Thompson/Center Hawken with a 32" long, 15/16" diameter Green Mountain Long Range Hunter drop-in barrel in .45 caliber weighs almost 10 pounds. A Renegade with a Green Mountain, 32" long, 1" diameter, Long Range Hunter drop-in barrel in .45 caliber weighs over 11 pounds.

The 22" long Green Mountain Long Range Hunter drop-in barrels are as rare as hens teeth. I have never seen one in .45 caliber, and even if one could be found, a brand new Rice Fast Twist barrel would be a better bargin. Because, people are asking STUPID MONEY for used Long Range Hunter barrels.

So, for all you dedicated sidelock shooters, and that includes myself, don't judge MtMonkey too harshly. He got his start in muzzleloading with scoped inlines, then progressed to scoped smokeless muzzleloaders, and he wants a percussion sidelock to be short, handy, light, .45 caliber with a 1:14" twist, and to wear both iron sights and a scope.

That's what HE WANTS/NEEDS.

And, who am I, or who are you to judge?

There's room in the sport for all of us!!!!!
I am selling a 6 1/2 Lb TC custom shop Buckeye special 1-48 /50 cal today will kill to 173yds ranged , particulars in classified soon/Ed

My first longrifle had a 40" long × 13/16" straight octagon barrel in .45 caliber. I never noticed that it was muzzle heavy. In fact, for a half blind teenager, I was able to shoot pretty good groups offhand with it. Nowadays, swamped octagon barrels are far more common, and not just the province of specialty barrel makers.

You don't see too many builders using straight octagon barrels any more. A Rice 3/4" straight octagon barrel in .40 caliber makes for a super light weight rifle.

Back around 1995 or so, I bought a new Thompson Center Black Mountain rifle. Ordered it with a walnut stock. It was a beautiful gun but heavy. I think it weighed 8 pounds or more.
As I get older, I don't really want to lug around any heavy hardware in the deer woods. Lighter is better for me.

Thanks, but what I need to know is the length of the barrel as MEASURED 1" past the first ramrod pipe. That measurement should correspond closely to the 21" length of a White Mountain Carbine barrel.
Very recently I wrote on the "smokeless muzzleloading" segment of this forum that the barrel length of the Renegade was 28", in keeping with the optimum length for maximum velocity from a given charge of BP. That was wrong: it was the earlier, brass-mounted T/C which looks just like the Renegade except for the patch box and has the same lock internals, which has a 28" barrel measured from the front of the snail to the muzzle.
The Renegade, both .50 and .54, has a 26" barrel. If you want to cut a Renegade barrel to 21" from the front of the snail, that would be 5/16" behind the rear of the front ramrod pipe. And a cut-off there would leave you with a length of underrib in front of that rear pipe that is very close to the length of the underrib in front of the current front pipe on its 26" barrel.
If you cut an inch in front of the front ramrod pipe that would give you a 23 7/8" barrel, call it 24".
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Here's an idea I haven't seen proposed yet. Buy a 50 caliber White Mountain Carbine and send the barrel to Bobby Hoyt to be relined to 45 with the exact twist rate you want. There is a nice little White Mountain Carbine on GunBroker right now with a slightly pitted bore for $250.... been sitting there for a while now. Bobby Hoyt can turn it into exactly what you want for about $200 to $250 including shipping. I have a 58 caliber fast twist barrel he made for me to my exact specs. Give him a call and talk to him about what you want.

Here's my 3 Renegade's for reference.

Attachments

• 20230926_200533.jpg
    20230926_200533.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Here's an idea I haven't seen proposed yet. Buy a 50 caliber White Mountain Carbine and send the barrel to Bobby Hoyt to be relined to 45 with the exact twist rate you want. There is a nice little White Mountain Carbine on GunBroker right now with a slightly pitted bore for $250.... been sitting there for a while now. Bobby Hoyt can turn it into exactly what you want for about $200 to $250 including shipping. I have a 58 caliber fast twist barrel he made for me to my exact specs. Give him a call and talk to him about what you want.

Here's my 3 Renegade's for reference.
Knowing Bobby in the past and how backed-up he constantly was 10-20 years ago, perhaps he has able assistants now and can get work such as this out in a hurry. But having worked in a cut-rifling shop once a week for four years I know how more fame equals more barrels in the shop equals longer and longer wait times to get your new barrel or recut barrel. Thankfully, relining is not nearly as time consuming as boring and cut-rifling a cartridge barrel, then rechambering, and that would sure help on wait time.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Back