Renegade Laminate stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im having a laminate stock made for my Rene'. They dont have laminates so i have to supply my own. I bought one from Richards microfit in Apache Gold. I just received it moments ago. Its not what you would consider traditional or conservative. Its brown, blue, yellow, and orange. So far heres what ive got.
15959552659192830223071768259346.jpg15959553283818636637392733556393.jpg15959554123837399598035843793260.jpg
Doesnt look like much right now. My wife loves the colors so how bad can it be?
Apache_Gold_Sample.jpegsample.

That sample piece sure is striking. Your comments about the traditionalists in your other thread might be right though. I think it'll be an absolute show piece when its finished. Take that sample piece and drill a couple dozen holes in it and stuff some buckskin in a half dozen and show that to those who give you grief and tell them that the hide is from others of their ilk who gave you grief with the wife standing there. Tell'em she collected the hides.. and that she keeps count.

Im having a laminate stock made for my Rene'. They dont have laminates so i have to supply my own. I bought one from Richards microfit in Apache Gold. I just received it moments ago. Its not what you would consider traditional or conservative. Its brown, blue, yellow, and orange. So far heres what ive got.
View attachment 9926View attachment 9927View attachment 9928
Doesnt look like much right now. My wife loves the colors so how bad can it be?
View attachment 9929sample.
Thats out side the box cool my brotha. I'll be keepin up with this cleaver lil endeavor myself.

As a pure traditionalist, I am both triggered and outraged by this insult to the sport of pure, traditional muzzleloading. This is an unforgivable slap in the face to us pure traditionalists, and our brethren, the traditional purists. I believe that purely, muzzleloadering rifles, like the Renegade, should be kept in their traditional patterns, purely for the sake of tradition!

You, sir, should be ashamed!

...Oh, wait. This is the *Modern* muzzlelaoder forum. Sorry, dude.

I think that's going to look really cool! Keep us all posted.

tenor.gif

P.S. Is that an orange in your mouth??

As a pure traditionalist, I am both triggered and outraged by this insult to the sport of pure, traditional muzzleloading. This is an unforgivable slap in the face to us pure traditionalists, and our brethren, the traditional purists. I believe that purely, muzzleloadering rifles, like the Renegade, should be kept in their traditional patterns, purely for the sake of tradition!

You, sir, should be ashamed!

...Oh, wait. This is the *Modern* muzzlelaoder forum. Sorry, dude.

I think that's going to look really cool! Keep us all posted.

View attachment 9945

P.S. Is that an orange in your mouth??
ROFLMFAO Luv yer sense of humor, it's a welcome sight. A lil " intellectual slap n tickle " followed up with a nice belly laugh out loud = good medicine for the soul. TY

If the only m-l I owned was a flint longrifle, or smoothie.....

And, my eyesight had deteriorated to the point that I could no longer see the traditional iron sights.....

And, a tang-mounted ghost ring sight was of no help.....

And, my health was such that I had many more years/decades of hunting left in me.....

And, my heart was set on hunting with a flintlock for whatever reasons---- The challenge---- The connection with my ancestors---- The love of history......

Then, I would put a modern, variable power, illuminated reticle, telescopic sight on that bad boy in a heart beat.

AND, TOTALLY SCREW ANYBODY THAT DID NOT LIKE IT!!!!!!

The ONLY thing that makes a flint or percussion sidelock look odd/funny/wrong/not historically accurate is the individual eye of the beholder.

As long as someone is not trying to sneak such a gun into a historical reenactment, WHO CARES!!!

I'd love to see the rear lens of that scope after you fired it on a traditional flinter a few times. I know there are people doing it. And I can't speak from experience. Traditional guns do not use scopes. You loose the point of traditional M. Loading Don't spout off to much B. Mattes until you know what your talking about.
Traditional and muzzle loading guns is where this all started long before the modern telescope although some telescopes were used during the civil war. You get around some of the old timers with your telescoped rifle and they will possibly embarrass the hell out of you and turn you into a joke.
Traditional is the for front of what started this modern world of inlines a bolt action Muzzle guns because people can't master a traditional flint lock or caplock gun, Rifle or shot gun. Get a handle on what its all about not just you narrow view point. Don't screw up something not broken.

Muzzy, I think what you're seeing here is that this forum is a safe place for you to express yourself in a caring, judgement free environment. This is a place where you will find nothing but love and support...

wait a minute...

barf.gif

But, seriously, is that an orange in your mouth??

I'd love to see the rear lens of that scope after you fired it on a traditional flinter a few times. I know there are people doing it. And I can't speak from experience. Traditional guns do not use scopes. You loose the point of traditional M. Loading Don't spout off to much B. Mattes until you know what your talking about.
Traditional and muzzle loading guns is where this all started long before the modern telescope although some telescopes were used during the civil war. You get around some of the old timers with your telescoped rifle and they will possibly embarrass the hell out of you and turn you into a joke.
Traditional is the for front of what started this modern world of inlines a bolt action Muzzle guns because people can't master a traditional flint lock or caplock gun, Rifle or shot gun. Get a handle on what its all about not just you narrow view point. Don't screw up something not broken.
I do have a handle on what muzzleloading is all about. I am about the least narrow minded person you will ever meet.

At the age of 17 my Golden Age Arms Company, flintlock, .45 caliber, Douglas barreled, brass-mounted, Lancaster longrifle showed up at my parents house. I saved minimum wage, after school wages for nearly a year to pay for the $330.00 cost of that rifle. That was in 1971.

With the exception of the adjustable powder measure, and the Dixie Gun Works scissors ball mould, I made everything else for that first rifle. I was too poor to do otherwise.

I was forced to teach myself, using copies of Muzzle Blasts magazine, and the first edition of The Lyman Black Powder Handbook. I had NO MENTORS. I had to learn everything the hard way. Only GOD knows how I survived without making a huge mistake that maimed, or killed me.

The only shoot that my father and I attended in southern Maryland that year, I was shunned. I am guessing because we were from the BIG CITY. That put a real sour taste in my 17 year old mouth.

My eyesight has been terrible since I was a small child. I have been spitballing the idea of scoping a flintlock since my first one. The ONLY reason I never have is that I have let the narrow minded people that are stuck in a time warp influence me. That, and stupid club rules like no aids for those of us that are ageing.....tang-mounted peep sights to help with eyesight......standing cross sticks for those that can no longer hold a long rifle steady.

There should be room in the sport of muzzleloading FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

This sport is DYING!!!! PERIOD!!!!@

And, has been for years.

Go on ANY m-l forum, and whenever a poll is taken the mean average age is somewhere in the late 60's. Most of the ages are in the 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's. Very few people in their 20's, 30', & 40's.

And, regardless of what anyone might want to claim, it is this willingness to JUMP ON SOMEONE that offends another persons idea of what should be, that is discouraging the average hunter that only purchased an inline m-l for the extra deer tag, to become more involved in our sport. A single righteous minded person can turn away dozens of potential converts.

To get back to that first flintlock longrifle that I got at age 17 ( I am now 66).

You cannot imagine the amount of crap that I had to put up with from my peers, my parents, and their peers. For YEARS, the first time I saw someone the FIRST THING out of their mouth would be something like--"Do you STILL have that stupid OLD TIMEY GUN that you bought?"

ALWAYS said with a sneer on their face, and a nasty chuckle.

Because, for $330.00, any person in their RIGHT MIND would have purchased a Model 70 Winchester, .30-06, with a Leupold scope; instead of a STUPID flintlock rifle.

It wasn't until I went into the military, and moved away that I stopped hearing that crap.

So, after a succession of flintlock rifles, I figure that I have paid my m-l dues. And, if I want to scope a flintlock, then I will damn sight do so, regardless of what anyone might say, or think.

You go, Bruce!
As a young man, I loved all things archery. I even studied Kyudo, the Japanese martial art of archery.
Fast forward to 8 years ago and I can long longer operate a traditional bow. I've moved to crossbows, which still allow me to pursue my passion, albeit in a new form. I can still deer hunt, which is the main driver for me.
Any kind of tool or add on to keep your passion alive, get, use and enjoy.

I gotta say. I'm with Bruce on this one. No disrespect meant to anyone here. I am far from an expert here, but the way I see it, If I can get my 20 year old son, or my 23 year old daughter, 17 year old daughter... hell, even my 5 and two year old boys interested in muzzleloading by starting with an inline to pique their interest - maybe even move their interests into flints and caps, I'm going to do that.

And what do we say to those folks - me included (at nearly 50 - I'm not old like you, Bruce 😁 ) whose eyes are not so good? "Screw you if you can't see with them buckhorns!" Nope. The rifle's yours. It's yours to do with as you wish. People who are stubbornly immovable because of "tradition" oftentimes end up killing that which they are trying to preserve.

Besides, who here doesn't think Davy Crockett would have absolutely used a scoped ML if he had that technology. Maybe then his last words would have been, "I got this," instead of "Do you think they look mad?"

You get around some of the old timers with your telescoped rifle and they will possibly embarrass the hell out of you and turn you into a joke.
Agreed. Right up until they chase everyone away, save for those exactly like them. Then the sport dies with them.

Honey vs vinegar. That's all I'm saying.

To get back to the Apache Gold laminate blank , I can't wait to see how the color turns out after Pecatonica machines it into a Renegade stock.

I may have you all beat as far as age I was born in 1947. Read many a muzzle blast, have all of the Lyman books and belonged to the NMLRA for a very long time. Shot at Friendship in the early 1970's
Just be care full if you put a scope on a flintlock. Your going to have to use a heavy barrel 1in. or more if octogan. Reason being getting a good grip with the mounting screws for the scope and not compromise strength in the barrel. Screw holes are back in the breech area where the higher pressures are.
The better traditional guns are almost all octagon barrels as you know.
I have run the entire gamut of ML guns and love my smokeless ML guns
I have 2 very high quality percussion guns I built many years ago. The wood to metal fit is as good or better than most. My children will inherit them.
I suppose there are at least a dozen M. loaders I built still around in the mid west. I used to go to the trade shows.
Guns of the like today sell for a lot of money. If they sell them I hope they get the value that is there. I know my brother has two of them. One a 54 Hawken the other a 32 Kentuk. Squirrel rifle.

Muzzy, I think what you're seeing here is that this forum is a safe place for you to express yourself in a caring, judgement free environment. This is a place where you will find nothing but love and support...

wait a minute...

View attachment 9947

But, seriously, is that an orange in your mouth??
Thats actually my friend Jake, and he has a mouth full of cheetos. I am much more attractive and would never be photographed with a mouthful of anything orange.

I have built modern guns guns with Richards Micro fit birch laminates and found them a little soft as compared to Boyds. Laminates
Not trying to burst any bubbles Just speaking from experience.

Back