Renegade Laminate stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of those long brass scopes one time. I believe it was Tasco. Very poor scope. It was used so maybe it was better when new. I gave it to a friend who was looking for a wall hanger.

The problem they had with the early scopes, They were not internal adjustable. They were a rigid tube with no field of view and had to be adjusted externally in the scopes mounts. If you look close at Jacks picture you can see the external mounts and no turrets on the scope. They had other issues but I'm not going into.
There has been a modern day version made by Unertal. Big $ Used for long range work.

There are quite a few remakes of the Malcolm style scope out there. Hi-Lux makes a cheaper version. MVA has several makes and models...mostly for BPCR , DZ arms sells their version. Unertl's are big money for a classic scope. The external mounts are quite expensive for high quality adjustable repeatable mounts. I have a 3x Malcolm by Hi-Lux scopes that I bought used for a Rem Rolling Block 40-65 wcf. The guy I bought it from had it mounted on a 54cal TC Rene...(original not Rene-corn ;) ). He claimed to have killed a pile of deer with that rifle scope combo. I remember seeing a picture a few years back showing Tony Bridges? with a Hi-Lux scope on a TC Hawken rifle. Full barrel length version. Looked pretty nice IMHO.

H Boss, The Unertl's were first used on a few WW2 sniper rifles. Always wanted one but never had the money.
I think that High Lux makes a nice setup for a high wall Remington. Fairly true to the period of gun.
Glad to hear you never put a variable power on it.

2305 hope you get a good fit on the Rene' Corn.
I'm going to the garden and pick tomatoes.

Yes back to the Topic. Michmuzzy, I know you're a long ways from the finish line on the Rene-Corn but have you considered a finish? I just finished a woodland camo laminated stock on a 35 whelen project. I used a super easy finish. Wipe on Poly..minwax product. Read about it on another site. It really mimics a hand rubbed oil finish and really made the colors in my stock pop out. I posted a picture of the rifle in the modern section. Doesn't build up like tru oil but does produce a real nice hard hand rubbed oil finish. Check it out. I think it would make that orange lam stock of yours fire right up. Or you could just paint it in a traditional walnut colored paint! ;)

Great thread!
“ This is not the only country with a broad history of firearms use and manufacturing. The Czar of Russia was known to have participated in a shooting event in 1737 using a rifle with a magnifying scope on it. At that time it was considered modern as well.”
And now in the words of the great Paul Harvey, “The rest of the story.”

In 1738 the Czar returned with a rifle sporting a fixed buckhorn rear and a German silver front sight in the shape of a turtle. It seems he’d been laughed at too long and loudly and so he conformed and lived happily ever after, if slightly disgusted with himself for caving in to the pressure. Many years later, his decision to become a traditionalist was used by the revolutionaries as proof of the Czars and Czarinas fecklessness. If Only he’d stayed his course, perhaps the Russian Revolution doesn’t happen, and then perhaps no USSR, no Cold War... the moral here should be obvious boys... don’t give up your optics lightly...

I've made several knives and letter openers with wood just like that.

d2FSpAY.jpg

F6zmhRr.jpg

If I knew someone to make a stock like this for my rifle I would do it in a heart beat. I like the color you picked. If you have it made and want to sell it let me know.

Update 3/8/21 from Pecatonica Long Rifles

"Today we were carving your laminated stock but could not find the paperwork. I opened up my computer to find your old e mail and right on top was your new one. Anyway, I think we will find the order. Jason is carving the O.D of the stock now and we should be inletting the lock, trigger and tang later this week. Thanks, Doug"

I grew up on a farm south of Rockford in Ogle County. I never knew of Pecatonica Long Rifles until just a couple of weeks ago. What is the current cost for milling your blank? I have air-dried cherry and walnut from the farm and it would be so cool to have it milled into a T/C Hawken stock...

Latest posts

Back