Renegade Laminate stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blows my mind seeing a traditional cap lock with modern sights.
What ever floats ones boat
To each their own Things have changed dramatically

"The first use of scopes in this country predates the civil War and were non magnifying."

There WERE magnifying scopes in use at the time and earlier. And they were used all over the world. This is not the only country with a broad history of firearms use and manufacturing. The Czar of Russia was known to have participated in a shooting event in 1737 using a rifle with a magnifying scope on it. At that time it was considered modern as well. At what age does something go from modern to traditional? Or is it just subject to the whims and fancy of the group of people who record these things? Apparently your info is incomplete. But it sounds like you're saying that a scope IS a traditional sight.

"The Aperture sight really came into it's own in the 1700's as the cartridge guns evolved and the muzzle loaders became obsolete"

" Came into its own" is just an opinion and is irrelevant. They were in use and not uncommon. Common or not has no relevance here anyway. Just someones viewpoint at a certain place and time.

"Been shooting Black powder before you were born, I was born in 1947 my boats been floating for a long time. And I will shoot hole in your boat any time, Speaking hypachetical"

It seems like most of your info and experience is outdated and possibly missremembered due to your advanced age and the maladies that accompany it. As your confusing MLs with boats would seem to indicate. Possible signs of encroaching dementia? Being stuck in your ways doesnt make you traditional. This forum is 'Modern Muzzleloader' not 'Traditional Muzzleloader' That sight already exists and is full of like minded oldtimers who are also 'stuck in their ways', convinced that the old ways are better. Regardless of what you think is true or appropriate or right. The Renegade is far from a traditional ML. Not a factory copy. It isnt copied from any known gun afaik. It is a Modernized version of a design that has been improved upon for many many years. Its a caplock not a flintlock. Does that make it a modern gun? A flintlock is more modern than what came before it and yet it is not called a modern firearm. The first weapon was likely a rock or a stick. Compared to that all weapons are modern, even bows. Will laser, plasma, or rail guns make cartridge guns "traditional? To put an old "traditional" sight on this modern sidelock gun would be an insult to its designers and gunbuilders who created it and were always looking for ways to improve it. Making the stock, barrel, sights, butt pad, ramrod, and any other parts, by a robotic or computer controlled machine to achieve the utmost in precision and accuracy makes this gun as modern and non-traditional as any cartridge gun for sale currently. To get the most out of this modern gun, or any firearm, one would have to be a fool not to put a modern sight on it. So mosey on over to tradional MLs and have a nice day.

"Keep your boat floating If you shake a tree your liable to get hit on the head"

"Speaking hypachetical"

BTW, it's spelled 'hypothetical' and i dont understand what your reference to Newton and gravity has to do with anything.

That’s enough bickering you two. Keep it on topic and stop with the insults.

I saw that Friendship picture with a scope on a flintlock. I agree some allowance should be made for us older fellas with eyesight issues. But, it sure doesn't look right to me. I'm thing of an antique looking brass scope with all the modern improvements over the civil war era scopes. Anyone seen such a scope?

I saw that Friendship picture with a scope on a flintlock. I agree some allowance should be made for us older fellas with eyesight issues. But, it sure doesn't look right to me. I'm thing of an antique looking brass scope with all the modern improvements over the civil war era scopes. Anyone seen such a scope?
I havent but Im going to look for one. Bet GM54-120 knows. That guy is Mr Optics.
Those long brass scopes are very cool. On this LRH barrel it would be perfect.

His name is "Mingo" Mings
109935441_1674144106069578_647251298079732227_n-jpg.9931
h

Last edited:
There was a brass tube telescope reproduction in the mid 1970's It may have been Lyman. I have seen one since but don't recall where that was.
There are 2 available today, both From Dixie gun Works. May or may not be brass. I don't know.

Very possible Mingos gun has a muzzle finished to facilitate starting a bullet. There were other photos showing the gun in a gun rack. Maybe that would be more explicit.

Latest posts

Back