Replacement WGRS base for CVA Accura LR/X?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defens

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! New member here from Monroe, Washington.
I recently purchased a CVE Accura LR/X with the factory setup of Williams rear peep sight and front fiber optic post. Pretty decent rifle. with some of the same features others have noted, including the slightly off-center forearm. Other than the fairly cheap plastic stock, I think it's a nice investment of $650.

While sighting the rifle in, I ran into the same problem that many have mentioned - I ran out of elevation to center the point of impact at 100 yards. I was shooting two, 50gr T7 pellets behind a 250 gr. copper PowerBelt bullet. With that combo I'm shooting about 6" low at 100 yards, with elevation maxed out.

With early muzzleloader season starting in a couple of weeks, I'm willing to shim up the rear sight, but I also called CVA customer service. The rep said that Williams is supplying a different (presumably taller) sight base for the WGRS sight, which will totally fix the issue. They expect these "any day now."

With a bit of skepticism, I thought I'd ask the forum:
  1. Has anyone here actually received one of these sight bases, and was it tall enough to center the elevation so you have a bit of room to adjust up or down for longer range zeros or heavier/lighter bullets?
  2. If so, how long did it take you to get the sight base, or is this a promised fix that hasn't actually made it into anyone's hands yet?
  3. For those who shimmed the site themselves, how thick of a shim did you end up using toe get the elevation ramp sort of centered?
  4. Has anyone found a Williams FP sight that will fit, with the 1/4 minute clicks instead of the hold-yer-tongue-just-right-as-you-tighten method that requires a tiny screwdriver and four hands! :)
Thanks for any advise or recommendations! Surely appreciated and happy to be joining the ranks of muzzleloading enthusiasts. My prior interests have been long range precision rifle, self defensive classes, and IPSC/USPSA competition.

Last edited:
For those who shimmed the site themselves, how thick of a shim did you end up using toe get the elevation ramp sort of centered?

Three pieces of shim stock were used on a pre QRBP Accura years ago to make a WGRS sight work. Total added height was a tad over 1/8".

G_0202.jpg

G_0203.jpg

To close the topic, I received a new sight base the other day from CVA. The new base is about ,125-.1875 taller. It uses one of the screws from the original sight, and the upper part of the old sight (holding the peep aperture) slides right on. I havent shot it yet, but this should easily fix the elevation issue.

Latest posts

Back