Rescued me a .50 Renegade rock lock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I told myself I was done with flinters. But I say this early 'gade, # 7489x, dirty but not fouled, with a great lock ( no hammer wobble on the tumbler) and the sweetest unset trigger ever.
The bore patched a little rough and showed some orange, but some steel wool and JB took care of it. Only one defect a little larger than an AR 15 gas port. Hopefully that's all the is.
She has the old Patridge sights and wood/ metal finish is almost 100%.
Up until now the flintlock has beaten me. I hope this one breaks the jinx.
Lots of work to do to be ready for December...

I went after the bore with a vengeance. JB'd the living daylights out of it. The lands are loaded with tool marks. The bore also is not exactly uniform. Lots of tight/ loose spots. Very evident when ramming. She shoots 3 into 2 1/2 inches at 50 yards. A .490 ball in .015 ticking (Ox Yoke commercial stuff) 70 gr of 3f Swiss.
Went to Dixon's yesterday and had a Lyman frizzen put on it. Sparks better now.
I didn't notice myself flinching like I used to. That's good!
I'm hopeful I can improve on things a bit. She loads REALLY tight so I might try lapping to smooth/ even things out some.
Oh the joy...

Or just do a Copy (on the pic on your computer) then just Paste it in the post window with your text.

There's nothing like a flintlock, learn to knap your own flints and to make your own powder. The self suficientcy is very rewarding, but also you have a arm that a the government can't meddle with.

Back