Rice .50 Cal 1-24 Twist 350 Yard Gong

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Yesterday was a SOLID Down pour of Rain, This morning was decent, So i loaded up to go Shoot the New RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, This time with my 610 Grain Grease Groove Bullet.

350 Yard Gong, 610 Grain Grease Groove, Cast of 1-20 Alloy, Lubed with My “Tweaked” Bullshop NASA. Powder charge was 100 Grains of Swiss 2F, Going off of my Chrono data from the other Day with my 615 Paper Patch Bullet, i would bet this Bullet was in the 1,375 Fps Range, or there very close abouts. This is a SERIOUS .50 Caliber Muzzleloader Guy’s :lewis:

My Gong is setup down at the End of this Old Gated off Rd

VjmPV2d.jpg

610 Grain Grease Groove Bullets Today, Ahead of 100 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8“ Wool Felt Wad
va3phQK.jpg

The ”SLEEPER” .50 Hits the Old Plow Disc Gong like a Loaded Coal Train :D

I browsed your channel last night after dinner and watched the videos on your new Rice barrel.
Brand new barrel, you load up and shoot basically a one hole group with the very first combo you try. Then turn around and decide to try a different bullet, run the calculations, and smack the gong with it at 350 yards with all three shots. You were off by what, 1 MOA on the wind (corrected after 1st shot) and another 1.5 MOA on drop? Just terrible Lew...you need to get better at this stuff. :moon: 🤣

Yesterday was a SOLID Down pour of Rain, This morning was decent, So i loaded up to go Shoot the New RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, This time with my 610 Grain Grease Groove Bullet.

350 Yard Gong, 610 Grain Grease Groove, Cast of 1-20 Alloy, Lubed with My “Tweaked” Bullshop NASA. Powder charge was 100 Grains of Swiss 2F, Going off of my Chrono data from the other Day with my 615 Paper Patch Bullet, i would bet this Bullet was in the 1,375 Fps Range, or there very close abouts. This is a SERIOUS .50 Caliber Muzzleloader Guy’s :lewis:

VjmPV2d.jpg

610 Grain Grease Groove Bullets Today, Ahead of 100 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, 1/8“ Wool Felt Wad
va3phQK.jpg

VjmPV2d.jpg

va3phQK.jpg

Loved the video!

VjmPV2d.jpg

va3phQK.jpg

Think that gong is going to surrender and wave a white flag ,you might also be accused of gong abuse !/Ed

I browsed your channel last night after dinner and watched the videos on your new Rice barrel.
Brand new barrel, you load up and shoot basically a one hole group with the very first combo you try. Then turn around and decide to try a different bullet, run the calculations, and smack the gong with it at 350 yards with all three shots. You were off by what, 1 MOA on the wind (corrected after 1st shot) and another 1.5 MOA on drop? Just terrible Lew...you need to get better at this stuff. :moon: 🤣
Lmao! That was good!!!!! U the man Lewis !!! Keep it going down range!!!

Great shooting!!
Just for kicks. The stability calculator has the number in the green box. How high is that number with those big bullets?

Ron, Take those Calculators with a Grain of Salt. That JBM Twist Calculator that i showed you in your Rifle Thread is the one i use exclusively.

Don’t get me Wrong, i ABSOLUTELY believe in them, But not til you get Waaaaaaaay out there. When designing a long range Bullet to a Particular Twist i make sure and line it up with a Twist Calculator.

With the above said, I have shot MANY MANY different bullets, in Various Calibers & Twist Rates that DON’T line up with the Twist Calculators, Yet they Shot STELLAR. Take the Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade for Example (Just 1 of MANY) I shoot a .492 Diameter PP Bullet that measures 1.060 Long in a Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Rengade, That Bullet will Shoot through the Same Hole, LAZER Accurate! And I know for a Fact, from Hands on experience that it stays that way to at least 300 Yards, Now lets look at that Bullet in the Twist Calculator for 1:48 Twist

The Twist Calculator say’s NO (We are looking for as close to 1.5 in The Stability Box, Which would be GREEN, and is The Military Standard for Stability)
wUoqzEv.jpg

And here is a 4 Shot Group with that 1.060 Long SOFT LEAD PP Bullet from my Stock 1:48 Twist Renegade, Its obvious by looking here that my Rifle STRONGLY disagrees with the Twist Calculator :D And it does so To at least 300 Yards
6kWLEWg.jpg

And here is the Lyman Plains, again the Twist Calculator say’s NO
apLAK19.jpg

And here is a 5 Shot Group with the Lyman Plains Bullet from my Stock 1:48 Twist Renegade, Its obvious by looking here that my Rifle disagrees with the Twist Calculator as well :D
LhGnw6f.jpg

And Stil Disagrees at 260 Yards
Z380kAH.jpg

And last, here is the S&W 500 Bullet Cast of SOFT LEAD in my Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade. Again, according to the Twist Calculators this Bullet is a NO, But it Shoots VERY WELL! I get a Kick out of it when i see Folks say “Nope, won’t work, to long for 1:48” They are FULL of 💩 And need to Actually test these things like I HAVE Done, before Running their mouth.
OMoIDhP.jpg

Great shooting!!
Just for kicks. The stability calculator has the number in the green box. How high is that number with those big bullets?

I wanted you to better understand the Twist Calculators above with REAL LIFE DATA I acquired

Now to better answer your Question :D Both my Designed PP and GG Bullets are High 1s, low 2s in the Twist Calculator Box, In order to hit the 1.5 Dead on i would of needed a Bullet in the 1.4-1.5“ inch long Range, and about 700-750 Grains for this 1-24 Twist. Simply put, I was NOT interested in the that :) Be like lobbing Turds, SLOW. I wanted at least 1,300 Fps (ended up with 1,350) that is plenty enough to get these Big 610-615 Grain Bullets WAAAAAAAAY Down the Alley. I knew what i needed, and that’s what i have :lewis:

Ron, Take those Calculators with a Grain of Salt. That JBM Twist Calculator that i showed you in your Rifle Thread is the one i use exclusively.

Don’t get me Wrong, i ABSOLUTELY believe in them, But not til you get Waaaaaaaay out there. When designing a long range Bullet to a Particular Twist i make sure and line it up with a Twist Calculator.

With the above said, I have shot MANY MANY different bullets, in Various Calibers & Twist Rates that DON’T line up with the Twist Calculators, Yet they Shot STELLAR. Take the Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade for Example (Just 1 of MANY) I shoot a .492 Diameter PP Bullet that measures 1.060 Long in a Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Rengade, That Bullet will Shoot through the Same Hole, LAZER Accurate! And I know for a Fact, from Hands on experience that it stays that way to at least 300 Yards, Now lets look at that Bullet in the Twist Calculator for 1:48 Twist

The Twist Calculator say’s NO (We are looking for as close to 1.5 in The Stability Box, Which would be GREEN, and is The Military Standard for Stability)
wUoqzEv.jpg

And here is a 4 Shot Group with that 1.060 Long SOFT LEAD PP Bullet from my Stock 1:48 Twist Renegade, Its obvious by looking here that my Rifle STRONGLY disagrees with the Twist Calculator :D And it does so To at least 300 Yards
6kWLEWg.jpg

And here is the Lyman Plains, again the Twist Calculator say’s NO
apLAK19.jpg

And here is a 5 Shot Group with the Lyman Plains Bullet from my Stock 1:48 Twist Renegade, Its obvious by looking here that my Rifle disagrees with the Twist Calculator as well :D
LhGnw6f.jpg

And Stil Disagrees at 260 Yards
Z380kAH.jpg

And last, here is the S&W 500 Bullet Cast of SOFT LEAD in my Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade. Again, according to the Twist Calculators this Bullet is a NO, But it Shoots VERY WELL! I get a Kick out of it when i see Folks say “Nope, won’t work, to long for 1:48” They are FULL of 💩 And need to Actually test these things like I HAVE Done, before Running their mouth.
OMoIDhP.jpg
so don"t hold back tell us how you really feel /HA

VjmPV2d.jpg

va3phQK.jpg

NIce rifle & massive bullets. Another great video & nice shooting.

Latest posts

Back