Rice barrel virgin range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to get my new Rice .45 cal 1:18 twist barrel out today for a couple hours just to get an idea what it likes. I still have more work to do but the barrel shows promise. I want to find its pet load before I stretch the range out to 100+ yards.

Attachments

• rice virgin shoot.jpg
    rice virgin shoot.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1
that bottom group (3 shot) is not bad,, can't read your notes,,, what was it with???
Actually there were 2 decent groups. The bottom one was with Accurate mold 340-I bullet and the one group in the middle was with Accurate 355 gr paper patch bullet. Both cast with pure lead (7.5 BHN) Both groups were right about 3/4" C-C. Load was 80 gr of Goex FFFg and a 1/8" over powder wad. The small group in between the 2 dots is also 3 shots but 2 of them went almost in the same hole. You can just make out the 2 entries on the target itself.
The other group in between the dots was 80 gr of Pyrodex P and the 340 gr bullet but that was 2.5" ! Not good at all.
This barrel still needs to get shot more and also the find its sweet spot. I just picked 80 gr as a starting point and I was limited in time today.
The big bunch of holes in the middle were where I kept doing sight adjustments. I didn't realize I had to move the peep up so much to get to the upper dot!

Last edited:
Actually there were 2 decent groups. The bottom one was with Accurate mold 340-I bullet and the one group in the middle was with Accurate 355 gr paper patch bullet. Both cast with pure lead (7.5 BHN) Both groups were right about 3/4" C-C. Load was 80 gr of Goex FFFg and a 1/8" over powder wad. The small group in between the 2 dots is also 3 shots but 2 of them went almost in the same hole. You can just make out the 2 entries on the target itself.
The other group in between the dots was 80 gr of Pyrodex P and the 340 gr bullet but that was 2.5" ! Not good at all.
This barrel still needs to get shot more and also the find its sweet spot. I just picked 80 gr as a starting point and I was limited in time today.
The big bunch of holes in the middle were where I kept doing sight adjustments. I didn't realize I had to move the peep up so much to get to the upper dot!
i was told by a very respected manufacturer that once the load was found,, it didn't matter the bullet weight... Have you observed such?? I know thats way off in centerfire/smokeless reloading for groups.... I don't have enough black powder experience to have an opinion either way,,, if i based an opiniion on my (competitive) centerfire experience,, i would say it is way off base.... I won't prof an opinion on this until i have alot more experience...

Looking pretty good there Bronko. Probably would have been a little better if they had been shot by a younger fella who didn't quiver and shake so much, and could actually see fifty yards.

The Pyrodex P was probably giving you significantly higher velocity than the GOEX with the same load. That said, I've bought one can of Pyrodex P in my life and tried it in several guns. I couldn't get it to shoot well out of any of them.

We got lucky on our timing with the purchase of these rice barrels,,, i talked to Jason a couple times lately and the wait for a blank is 8-10 months right now!! I traded a fellow for an 18 twist rice barrel (blank) (for use on my renegade)... i just sent it to rice to be turned into a "drop in" for my renegade. (Jason said it should be finished in 2-3 weeks) .. when its done and my hawken barrel gets back from blueing, i'll have a couple to test this summer! Should be fun!!! if you get a good load posted,, i'll have a real head start!! i would say our 2 barrels are very similar, if not identical??? i'm hoping the paper patch ones will do well

The Pyrodex P was probably giving you significantly higher velocity than the GOEX with the same load. That said, I've bought one can of Pyrodex P in my life and tried it in several guns. I couldn't get it to shoot well out of any of ththem.Van
Van I had a GM LRH barrel that shot 70 gr of Pyro P and 200 gr 10mm XTPs in a blue Harvester CR sabot with MOA accuracy but I want to shoot heavier bullets in the rifle.

Do you have any longer bullets? That 1-18 twist will probably behave better with a bullet 1 inch plus in length. That "I" bullet is kind of short for the twist. However for short range work and putting deer down fast your targets are looking good. I know Lewis really shot great groups with bigger lead with his rice 45's.

Maybe this will help. I enlarged everything.View attachment 32668

Awesome Bronko, mine started to shoot really good after about 30 rounds or so. Now this could either have just been me getting comfortable behind it, or not.
I tried some of the Baco .444 500 gr PP today with 90gr of 2F swiss behind them and Strathmore tracing paper as the patch. The barrel shot lights out with them.

Awesome Bronko, mine started to shoot really good after about 30 rounds or so. Now this could either have just been me getting comfortable behind it, or not.
I tried some of the Baco .444 500 gr PP today with 90gr of 2F swiss behind them and Strathmore tracing paper as the patch. The barrel shot lights out with them.
buy some seth cole 55y or 55w 8 lb. onion skin

Back