Rice Barrels BIG .50 Cal at 1,200 Yards, 3 Consecutive Hits on Steel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the ethical side of the argument, I think it's no different with centrefires once you're out at that range. I've always wondered in those long range "hunting" videos how many misses and woundings go into every video you actually see of a successful hunt.

From my experience in Long Range Shooting, I would BANK ON IT Being a LOT. I absolutely love long Range Shooting, Testing my ability, But i do so on Targets. I have seen things go WILDLY Wrong to many times when Shooting Long Range to try it on Big Game Animals. I Live & Love to Hunt, I Was Born & raised in it (I Started when i was 8 or 9 years Old) I have the UTMOST Respect for the Big Game Animals that i hunt, I am truly compassionate about them & their Conservation. I feel i owe it to the Big Game that i pursue to do my ABSOLUTE Best to Kill them as SWIFTLY & HUMANELY as Possible. Fact is, Mistakes can be made at ANY Distance, But the longer the Range, the Bigger the chances are of making a Mistake and Wounding/Crippling an Animal. Why chance it on a Magnificent, Living, Breathing Creature? They already have a tough enough time as is

I feel Long Range is defined by each of us individually, I Deer hunt with my Scoped Centerfire Rifles, My personal MAX Comfort Zone in perfect Conditions at a Deer or Elk is about 400 Yards. My MAX Comfort Zone at Targets? ANY Distance i can Safely Fire at :lewis:

IdahoLewis, ive seen your pics of the difference between a TC breechplug flame channel and a Green Mntn flame channel. What does the flame channel look like on the plug you have on your Rice barrels? Is it similar to the GM?

IdahoLewis, ive seen your pics of the difference between a TC breechplug flame channel and a Green Mntn flame channel. What does the flame channel look like on the plug you have on your Rice barrels? Is it similar to the GM?

Just like the GM Plugs :lewis: Except no Cleanout on the Nipple side, The flame Channel is bored across from the Opposite side (Like some TC’s were) With an Allen Head Set screw Plugging the Hole. These Rice Breech Plugs are CNC Machined from Solid Bar Stock, They are NOT Cast like GM, TC Etc.

The Bullet is capable of Killing Game WAY WAY Out there, It really comes down to the Shooter’s ability, Weather conditions, and what the Animal is doing?

Example, The problem with BIG lead at the Velocities i get with Real Blackpowder at really long range like the above 1,200 Yards is the “Time of Flight, Trajectory Rainbow” I have no doubt these bullets yesterday would have Killed an Elk at this 1,200 Yards if Hit Behind the Front Shoulder (Lung Shot) The problem is how long it takes the Bullet to get there. This BIG Bullet is in the Air a LONG time, A feeding animal could literally Walk away from it.
EXACTLY!! That bullet, and gun are very capable of a clean kill at that distance. Too much can happen after the trigger is pulled though.
I recently bought a long relief 2-7x specifically for my TC Renegade. I haven’t got it mounted yet. When I do, I want to stretch that guns legs a little.
You are an inspiration Lewis! Great shooting!

EXACTLY!! That bullet, and gun are very capable of a clean kill at that distance. Too much can happen after the trigger is pulled though.
I recently bought a long relief 2-7x specifically for my TC Renegade. I haven’t got it mounted yet. When I do, I want to stretch that guns legs a little.

Thank you my friend! I am looking forward to your Scoped results with the Renegade, Your Ole Renegade is VERY Capable with the Right Components in it, Soft Lead is your Friend in the 1:48 Twist :lewis:

A Inspiration is an understatement!

Latest posts

Back