Rifle #2. Made my decision but need a bit of guidance.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertyman777

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a little TC Seneca in .36. It’s slick as a button and I’m very pleased.

I’ve decided to go in-line next. Maybe smokeless with the rifle primer ignition.

I would like to shoot cast projectiles, either paper patched or with grease. And of course the option of shooting sabot rounds as well.

If I go smokeless, I would probably use a Savage or Remington donor an swap the barrel. I’ve done it before with cased cartridge rifles, it’s easy enough but I wonder how to headspace. I guess it’s different for a muzzleloader.

But if I go with a factory ML, which one?

I’ll hunt of course, but my main purpose is to ring steel at my buddies farm. We’re gonna hang steel from 200-800 yards. Advice?

With any possibility of going SML, unless you already have an action, go with the Remington Ultimate. A couple quick upgrades and you have an excellent long range rifle. If down the road you decide to go SML, you have an action.

With any possibility of going SML, unless you already have an action, go with the Remington Ultimate. A couple quick upgrades and you have an excellent long range rifle. If down the road you decide to go SML, you have an action.

What upgrades would you recommend?

Also, I understand that the primed cases are of a non standard size. Do you happen to know what size and can they be reprimed by the owner?

What upgrades would you recommend?

Also, I understand that the primed cases are of a non standard size. Do you happen to know what size and can they be reprimed by the owner?
Oh boy............. LOL

With a RUM, the first thing you should do is to contact Luke at Arrowheadrifles and get rid of the OEM ignition system. However, if you're the type which only shoots a muzzleloader a couple times before hunting, then you would likely get by with the OEM. Next would be to purchase one of Levi Reed's muzzle brakes and have that installed.

LET ME BE CLEAR ABOUT SOMETHING............ You see guys complaining about recoil using 120grs volume of BH209 and granted, their rifles normally weigh slightly less than a RUM. But be sure you understand this................ If you shoot maximum charges through a RUM, such as 200grs volume of black powder or 180grs of T7, you'll find out what recoil is. 120grs volume of BH is a pup load when compared.

If you go with the Arrowhead ignition system, it eliminated ALL leaking of gas and it also eliminates the brass primer carriers. Primer carriers...... brass cases..... the head thickness of the Remington brass can vary as much as .020", which makes it impossible to have correct head space. Then the primer flash hole in the brass can also be off center by quite a little.
The Arrowhead system completely eliminates problems. You're done and go shoot all you want. :)

I will second the addition of a LR Customs muzzle brake to your rifle. My CVA Optima V2 pistol just went from Levi Reed's shop in Utah about 3 weeks ago, to Doc White's shop approximately 20 minutes away. I had both the sabot, and the lead conical brakes installed on the pistol at the same time.

This was the first pistol that Levi has installed one of his .50 caliber, MZ REX2 brakes on. He test fired it with a 375 grain bullet in a sabot through the sabot brake. He stated to me that he had a "Death Grip" on the pistol with both hands the first time he shot it. This was with the terribly designed, plastic factory stocks that come with the pistol. They are known to punish a shooter's hands with any bullet weighing more than 250-270 grains. Most owners elect to shoot 240-250 grain bullets out of a sabot.

When I talked to Levi on the phone, he told me that he was very surprised at how pleasant the pistol was to shoot with such a heavy bullet. He was already aware of how much pain the factory stocks were capable of inflicting, depending upon the weight of the bullet being fired, the shooter's tolerance for pain, and the total number of shots being fired in a session.

The perceived recoil with the above load, according to Mr. Reed, was somewhere between a heavy .38 Special, and a very light .357 Magnum.

These brakes, even without Doc White's Javelina stocks, will allow a hunter to shoot 400 grain bullets out of a 14" long pistol barrel.

Turning the CVA Optima V2 pistol into a world class, black powder/Blackhorn 209 hunting handgun.

In my opinion, the factory stocks need to be redesigned. Having custom stocks made, like I am by Doc White, is at least a $200.00 proposition. My Javelina, 2-handed, double pistol grip-style stocks are going to set me back approximately $450.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back