Rifle barrel fluting or contouring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay guys,here goes.A year and a half ago I had a gunsmith in Ok.put a 308 cal bull barrel on a h&r frame for me.He has been in business building guns for military branches and other people for 38 years.When he said it was going to be a (bull) barrel I expected what I thought was going to be a bull barrel like from the factory.When I got the gun back it was,and still is beautiful.Did a 1;10 twist barrel,bead blasted the barrel and did a 11 degree muzzle crown.Problem you say?Well it turns out his defintion of a bull barrel is like that of a gym bar bell.The chamber and the muzzle is the same diameter the whole length of the barrel.It shoots fantastic but carrying it to the tree stand and in the ground blind is like doing a work out.My brother says I need to put wheels on it and pull it around like a cannon.So I am looking in to a barrel contour or fluting the barrel.Pros and cons on both and any recommendations would be extremly helpful.I am going to use my knight 45 cal mountaineer muzzle loader the rest of our gun season here in Indiana and in our muzzleloading season in Dec.The 308 seems like it was built for bench rest shootin and not field hunting.

Never had much faith in cutting ‘flutes’ after market, not done at the original factory. It just seems to much could go awry. I also never had it done, so WTHDIK?

If you look at getting flutes cut, you have to compare that price with that of a new barrel, swap, & sell the old. Yeah, I don’t care for real heavy guns for most hunting.

Personally, I think you would be better off with 'contouring' the barrel to your choice. Although fluting can really help stabilize your 'barrel harmonics' created when shot - which can also help accuracy, as the barrel becomes more ridged. But.. I believe you would loose more weight be contouring and fluting.

I would prefer to have it contoured as well.Just finding someone I could send a picture to and see if it can be done.Have it look like a normal rifle instead of a weight lifting bar.🏋️‍♂️

I would prefer to have it contoured as well.Just finding someone I could send a picture to and see if it can be done.Have it look like a normal rifle instead of a weight lifting bar.🏋️‍♂️
You might try Levi at LR Customs. I know he has all the necessary machinery to do or make anything. Try emailing him.

Jeff is the one who turned my knight mountaineer 50 cal into a 45 sml with a brux 25'' s s barrel for me about 5 years.Only use it during our muzzleloading season herein Indiana.If I can't get my rifle barrel contoured this year I will turn to the 45 both seasons next year.

checked out lrcustoms and he is not set up for that kind of work.But on a brighter side he gave me the information of a machhinist in Douglas,Wyoming that can and will do what I am looking for.The company is called TWISTED BARRELS and all he does is pretty much contouring or fluting barrels.So after thanksgiving I will be sending my barrel off to him.His turn around time is 2 weeks and at a price I can afford without selling a kidney.Going to get rid of that weight lifting bar. 🏋️‍♂️ No more!

It has been a couple of goofy days for me, so I am late to this topic, but have you thought about making it an octagon? Perhaps half round, quarter round and the rest octagon? The only reason I ask is that it is much easier to make an octagon than a fluted barrel.

One of my friends geared his mill table to a rotary table so that when the mill handle is cranked the rotary table turns allowing him to cut flutes. I am too lazy for that and just mount the rotary table on the mill table and hand crank in the number of degrees to achieve an octagon.

Since you already have a plan, just consider this info on the web from a gun nut.

It has been a couple of goofy days for me, so I am late to this topic, but have you thought about making it an octagon? Perhaps half round, quarter round and the rest octagon? The only reason I ask is that it is much easier to make an octagon than a fluted barrel.

One of my friends geared his mill table to a rotary table so that when the mill handle is cranked the rotary table turns allowing him to cut flutes. I am too lazy for that and just mount the rotary table on the mill table and hand crank in the number of degrees to achieve an octagon.

Since you already have a plan, just consider this info on the web from a gun nut.
I wish i had that equipment and could make or mod parts like you machinists.

You mentioned OK. There is excellent gunsmith in Jones, OK, Steve Baldwin (405)399-2875. He can do it all

Found a guy out in Douglas,wyoming who does nothing but rifle barrel fluting.His designs looked great,prices are reasonable, and turn around time is 2 weeks or less.I sent my barrel out to him this morning.The companys name is TWISTED BARRELS,LLC.I should have it back long before christmas.A member on the forum here turned me on to the information,so thanks for the tip.

Jeff is the one who turned my knight mountaineer 50 cal into a 45 sml with a brux 25'' s s barrel for me about 5 years.Only use it during our muzzleloading season herein Indiana.If I can't get my rifle barrel contoured this year I will turn to the 45 both seasons next year.
I would like to know more about this! What was the cost and how does it shoot. I'm assuming it's a one piece Brux barrel/action using all Knight parts?

Other than bench rifles that need a carriage to tote around, I can't stand heavy rifles, so I feel your conundrum . I've reprofiled a few of my own barrels.

You can contour the barrel, but you need to do it in a lathe or drill press (vertical lathe) to do it properly (I, in my youth, reprofiled a barrel with an angle-grinder, a hacksaw blade (to make sure the taper was consistent), cold water, and a vise- def. not the best way, but if you take you time, it can turn out fine). Use a live-center, files (or actual turning tools), and run it, take measurements frequently. Flutes DO NOT MAKE a barrel more rigid, there is less material, less material to resist movement (this has been discussed extensively here and in many other places, but people keep saying that fluting makes a barrel less flexible). Biggest thing Flutes do (aside from looking pretty) is increase the surface area of the barrel to help it cool down. Aside from cooling, fluting just reduces weight, the same as a thinner contour would, but it's more complicated to do properly. Removing material changes the way the barrel vibrates when firing, and so your accuracy nodes will most likely shift.

Unless you want to change chambers or rifling, or have someone lined up to buy the barrel as is, I would reprofile it, if it were mine.

Back