Robert Hoyt barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ninering62, that was pretty blunt . if this critter had a number to call he wouldn't have to ask all the critters in the barn . thats my way of thinkin.
I'm a very blunt no BS individual & wouldn't have it any other way. But I wasn't trying to be a jackass either. Hope ya didn't take it like that. I can't see your point at all though, with the internet, not having someones/anyones phone number is no bid deal & irrelevant when its as simple as typing the name you want to find in a simple Google search for example. No phone book, no phone number, no mailing address needed whatsoever. I've found that asking every other critter in the barn what the horse is thinkin instead of just seeking the horse out is the amount of wrong, inaccurate, unnecessary ( whether in part or in entirety ) info that facilitates to deal with & sort out.
For example, I could have offered some sound advice on how to ship a muzzleloader ( never shipped a CF thru an FFL ) but I've not shipped one to Bob Hoyt so what I could offer may not be correct or helpful per his specific criteria. I pulled the trigger from my receiver, removed the stock, removed the bolt, removed the scope &1pc mount, & asked the gunsmith I chose ( the same exact way - simple internet search for gunsmiths in my zipcode ) then contacting them until I found one to thread my CVA Paramount barrel & install/time my 1pc brake ahead of time if he wanted me to separate the receiver from the barrel before I shipped it to him & if there would be an extra charge for him to do it. I packed the barrel, receiver & muzzle brake into a 3" PVC pipe I cut to the length I needed & used bubble wrap to very tightly hold everything safe inside the tube. Good ole duct tape on both ends & shipped it UPS. Now granted, my packing method may be safe, sound & helpful, but again, it may not be what Mr Hoyt wants. That was my point in length. Kind regards & good luck

Last edited:
Most custom barrel makers are really busy these days, have used Hoyt's barrels and several others.

The very best barrel bar none was Ron Long's barrels, his stuff was always being tested by the writers, never ever had an issue with them. I still have a .36 and a .58 calibers made by him as well a Shiloh Sharps rebarrel by Long. All shoot like they were built to do.

I packed the barrel, receiver & muzzle brake into a 3" PVC pipe I cut to the length I needed & used bubble wrap to very tightly hold everything safe inside the tube. Good ole duct tape on both ends & shipped it UPS. Now granted, my packing method may be safe, sound & helpful, but again, it may not be what Mr Hoyt wants. That was my point in length. Kind regards & good luck

I have seen UPS and USPS employees throw packages like you mention into their containers several times. One guy had issues with working from the way he handled himself. Several of us complained about him and his manner in doing his job (took 3 months of his bosses watching him before he was kicking rocks going down the street).

The advice I read was to call 8am or so. I ended up contacting him around 5 pm. There is no voice mail. He said due to the virus conditions he has more time on his equipment.

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread, but I am hoping to get y’all’s opinions…

I have a .50 Renegade that I am thinking of having Mr. Hoyt bore to a larger caliber for me. I was thinking of .54 smoothbore, but wanted to see if anyone would offer a different suggestion. I currently have .45, .50, and .54 RB twist rifles, and .50 and .54 1:48 twist ones (in addition to the Renegade). I figured I could shoot my .54 RBs through the new Renegade, or use it as an (approximately) 28 gauge. Should I stick to the .54 or is there a good argument to go to .56 or .58? I don’t currently have any .56 or .58 RBs, and I am not looking to make this a complete cannon to shoot (ie thump at both ends :) ). I appreciate your insight, gentlemen.

‘Poet

Also, as to usage- I will probably mostly shoot it for fun, and if I hunt with it, it will probably not be used for anything larger than Eastern whitetail.

Thanks!
You know, even if yo only use for shooting fun. Everything you just asked about would be fun. There is no up or down to your suggested usage. Sounds you have a tough decision to make, as would I, if it were me.

Bobby has done several .45 caliber fast twist barrels for me, two .40 caliber fast twist barrels and four ball shooters in 50, 54 and 58 calibers. Three of these were sleeved barrels which is a bit more expensive but the results are very good. For the price, he can’t be beat.

Back