Ron's bullet testing results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooting, and attempting to catch the bullets was a way more fun than work. Thank you for sending them Swift bullets.

Compiling the list of bullets was more work than fun; was pestered to do so.

I've scoured Google looking for a smokeless test on the .40 Hornady 200 grain HAP. Found a reference to wanting to test that bullet in 2016, but I could never find if it was accomplished or results.

I have a box that I got to get sighted in roughly before switching to the Barnes 195's. I would be happy to send some for testing.

I would be interested in what the performance would be launched out of a .45 in a Harvestor sabot at about 2500 fps or so.

I'd be glad to send em and you could see what they do at whatever speed you could get them to.

I am a fan of Fury bullets and I have a question regarding the posted test results using the bonded Fury 40 cal 225 star crimp & the bonded Fury 452 star crimp bullets. It appears that the 452 bullets did not fare well in the test (did not open up) and one of the speculative reasons was that it was a 'harder' version meant for smokeless velocities. The Fury 40 cal 225s appeared to do very well in the test, great expansion. To the best of my knowledge these same tested bonded 40 cal 225 grain are also meant for smokeless velocities! The fury web site only lists them for smokeless. Did there used to be two versions of the 40 225, one softer for smokers and one harder for smokeless? If not, what am I missing? Does the Fury bonded 40 cal 225 have characteristics which permit it to perform well in both smokers and smokeless?

There is only 1 version of .40 cal. They perform well in both. The .40 cal star tip will typically always be shot in a sabot. Which will limit the velocity of either. Sabot can only take so much. D

Last edited:
I've scoured Google looking for a smokeless test on the .40 Hornady 200 grain HAP. Found a reference to wanting to test that bullet in 2016, but I could never find if it was accomplished or results.

I have a box that I got to get sighted in roughly before switching to the Barnes 195's. I would be happy to send some for testing.

I would be interested in what the performance would be launched out of a .45 in a Harvestor sabot at about 2500 fps or so.
At 2500 or so, BOOM!!!!

Ron, I read all the posts here and have looked thru the list of bullets you have tested, and was wondering, would you have an idea, or possibly know, with the 50 gr charges you used for the down range testing, what the range would actually be, or close to it? Would these tests you ran be for 150 yd performance, 200 maybe? Just curious. Thanks for all the work you did in putting this together. very informative.

with the 50 gr charges used for the down range testing, what the range would actually be, or close to it?

Lots of variables here; let's pick a couple.

For a powder charge of 100g Blackhorn.
For a 250g bullet with a plastic tip.

The bullet speed around 300 yard would be similar to the bullet speed using 50g Blackhorn at 25 yard.

Latest posts

Back