Ron's bullet testing results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron, I read all the posts here and have looked thru the list of bullets you have tested, and was wondering, would you have an idea, or possibly know, with the 50 gr charges you used for the down range testing, what the range would actually be, or close to it? Would these tests you ran be for 150 yd performance, 200 maybe? Just curious. Thanks for all the work you did in putting this together. very informative.

"Even though you use a calculator makes no difference , rifle must be shot to confirm the dope"....

45-70 posted this in another thread just a while ago and I think it pretty much pertains to what Ron's testing shows here with the two powder charges he's settled on for his testing. There are too many variables between guns and the components used in the guns to just say "this will work". I had a similar thought and actually took boxes stuffed with wet newspaper to the range and walked them out to 100 yards, then shot into them using the bullets I was planning to hunt with [a .451 250 grain XTP and a .429 250 grain XPB Barnes. Both bullets did what I wanted using the wet papers using the indentical 77 weighed grains of BH209. I needed two fair sized boxes of wet paper, back-to-back, to capture the bullets.

Everyone likes shortcuts. I know I do. Yet there are instances where guessing is just not the answer, especially if you're planning on hunting.

"Even though you use a calculator makes no difference , rifle must be shot to confirm the dope"....

45-70 posted this in another thread just a while ago and I think it pretty much pertains to what Ron's testing shows here with the two powder charges he's settled on for his testing. There are too many variables between guns and the components used in the guns to just say "this will work". I had a similar thought and actually took boxes stuffed with wet newspaper to the range and walked them out to 100 yards, then shot into them using the bullets I was planning to hunt with [a .451 250 grain XTP and a .429 250 grain XPB Barnes. Both bullets did what I wanted using the wet papers using the indentical 77 weighed grains of BH209. I needed two fair sized boxes of wet paper, back-to-back, to capture the bullets.

Everyone likes shortcuts. I know I do. Yet there are instances where guessing is just not the answer, especially if you're planning on hunting.
Yes I agree with you that every rifle is different etc. I guess what I was asking is if he knew off the top of his head what the "Down Range Testing" simulation might be in yardage? I thought maybe he knew what kind of FPS he was getting with the charge he was using, and was able to say its in the 100 to 150 yd range or something that's all.

I appreciate all the testing. I know I am looking for accuracy, first and foremost, followed by something that will expand nicely and leave a big exit hole. Those are the three factors that I want from a bullet. Of course the charge and distance plays in to many of these tests, and not all bullets are designed for certain speeds and distances.

Latest posts

Back