Rookie anxious to learn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxxy

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help and patience in advance. I am somewhat familiar with the side lock muzzle loaders but would like to investigate the inline market. I would like to eliminate the click prior to firing for hunting purposes, going from safety to fire I have on the side lock. I would also like to use the rifle primers. I do not under stand anything about the breech plug, I see some breech plugs have a thumb grip removal. When do you remove the breech plug? Thank -you. Waxxy

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Part of your question about the breech plug, I remove mine to clean after each range session. A dirty or powder fouled plug won't fire off the charge.

If the hammer click is your biggest concern you can cock them noiselessly. Put your thumb on the hammer, pull the trigger, cock the hammer but hold it, release the trigger and then release the hammer. With practice you can do it quickly and folks have been doing that as long as there have been guns with hammers.

First off, Welcome to the Forum :lewis:

Here was a Recent thread on the “Click” when cocking a Sidelock, And how to get around it. There are many nice inline rifles out there, I don’t feel they are any better than a Sidelock Muzzleloader though, I have opened MANY Eyeballs on here with Sidelock Muzzleloaders, even stock 1:48 Twist Sidelock Rifles, When given the correct components, they FLAT OUT Shoot

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/can-you-quiet-down-the-cocking-of-the-hammer.37193/

Thank-you, I feel less intimidated now. i have two TC 50 cal Hawkins. I do not know the barrel twist but I was under the impression that I was limited to round balls. Am I incorrect? I would like a heavier hunting load if that was possible. I have played with the Black powder but I would like to check out the pellets. Thank-you once again. Waxxy

Thank-you, I feel less intimidated now. i have two TC 50 cal Hawkins. I do not know the barrel twist but I was under the impression that I was limited to round balls. Am I incorrect? I would like a heavier hunting load if that was possible. I have played with the Black powder but I would like to check out the pellets. Thank-you once again. Waxxy
You should check their twist rates. Its easy. Load a real tight cleaning patch on a jag, mark the ramrod somewhere near the top or middle and when pushing the jag into the barrel measure how many inches it(ramrod) goes in to make 1 full revolution. Or just see how far to make half a rev. Then double that number.

Back