Round ball info

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take a big shortcut and order my Wonderlubed pillow-tack patches from TOTW.
Precision Shooting Patches for round ball - Track of the Wolf
I haven't shot a muzzleloader as long as some on hear say they have, but I guess it's been over 30 years of playing with them. For the first 15 I used wonder Lube 1000+ As my patch lubricant. Then of course I read too many of these sites and I thought I should try something perhaps new and better. So I made moose milk, ordered frontier brand, another from Tennessee from the Homestead Company, ordered some pure lanolin, tried go Jo, fast orange and kerosene. They all worked, Moose milk dried patches started a grass fire for me so I quit them, and it was a tossup between homestead company and go Jo as to which one was the best. Three days ago, I was out shooting and nothing seemed to group very well at 50 yards. Flintlock rifle, homemade 177 grain balls, good rest and no wind. Finally remembered I had some 1000+ patches in my what'sit box, lubricated a year ago, but only had three patches. Shot those three and 2 went in the same hole and the third one was a half-inch above it, so you know I'm going back to 1000+ and leave all the experiment to somebody else. I wanted something I could leave loaded during hunting season without rusting up the barrel and I've did this before some 25 years ago, and it gave me no trouble, so Anonymous, the only difference between us, is you order your patches prelubed and I Lube my own.
Squint

I clean with Windex and lube with Borebutter. Easy and no rust, misfires, no issues.

That is what I use and just made some up and loaded my REAL's with it
I too played with real bullets in a TC percussion some 25 years ago, and didn't get real good accuracy. Haven't tried them since, but I never thought of using different lubes on them at that time. It was a 50 caliber one in 48 twist. I have lots of beeswax and perhaps a little landolin would soften it up enough that it would work. I don't have any bear grease, And I might even try neets foot oil.
Squint

Back