Round ball twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that inline rifles are pretty much all fast twist barrels. You could shoot a patched round ball out of one but you'd have to keep the powder charge on the lower side for any decent accuracy.

Yeah that is what I determined after seeing what is available for sale. I am surprised that someone does not offer one.

I’m building a 54 RB gun, using an old Knight for parts…cut the old Bbl off and threading a new one.
I may get it done before the fall..
I’m slow..

Most who buy an inline wants to shoot modern bullets. That's the point of buying a modern inline. Modern powder, primers, bullets, and a scope.

I'm not sure you could shoot a heavy enough powder load to kill big game. It might be a good small game gun.

Most who buy an inline wants to shoot modern bullets. That's the point of buying a modern inline. Modern powder, primers, bullets, and a scope.

I'm not sure you could shoot a heavy enough powder load to kill big game. It might be a good small game gun.
:oops:? PRB has been getting meat for hundreds of years.

After reading it again I think you were commenting about using a small powder charge. That makes sense.

I see no reason why an inline with the correct twist would not work well.

As I read this thread and the more I think about it, about the only exception is, at least in my shooting experience is my CVA Optima V2 pistol.
I have shot patched round ball out of it with very good accuracy.
60 grains of 3f Swiss powder. I only shot out to 50 yards but it's dead on.
I think it has a 1/28 twist barrel?
I'm sure it will kill a deer no problem at close range with that load.

As I read this thread and the more I think about it, about the only exception is, at least in my shooting experience is my CVA Optima V2 pistol.

I was going to try that when they first came out for deer. Not with a PRB but being a pistol it would eliminate recoil on my cheek. For the life of me I couldn't convince the DOW that it would kill a deer and they banned them from hunting big game.

Since I got the pistol last year, I been trying different bullets and powders.
Lately it's been Triple 7, 75 grains by volume with the Hornady XTP, 240 grain bullet.
That's a good load for it.
I've also used Hornady PA conicals. They shoot good too.

Plenty for deer if you don't take long shots.

It would have been a fun hunt. I wish I could have done it.

Are you going to hunt with it?

Traditions offered a special order inline 50cal 1-48 twist for PRB.
mesHCU8.png

What about that thumbhole 54 cal Knight MK85 with muzzle break on GB? Last 3 letters on the serial number are PLB which folks are saying means Patched Lead Ball. Might look at it if you are interested.

My cva rifle will shoot a PRB great to around 50 or 60 yards but at a 100 yards the target looks like buckshot

Anyone making an inline with a twist suitable for patched round ball? 50 or 54?

Not really.

Having said that, i've been shooting patched round balls from inline rifles for 20 years, killed some deer and numerous wild hogs using patched round balls fired from inline rifles. There's another factor besides rifling twist rate, the depth of the rifling. Patched round balls like deeper grooves.

My favorite inline for use of patched round balls is a .54 caliber TC Fire Hawk. The twist rate is 1/38". It's very accurate with up to 90 grains of Black MZ powder.

My cheap old CVA Stag Horn rifle with it's 1/32" twist rate is very accurate using patched round balls.

Doc White has also shot a lot of round balls from fast twist inlines:

Round Balls In Fast Twist Rifles | White Muzzleloading

Are you going to hunt

Are you going to hunt with it?
Oh yeah, I hunted with it last year.
Opening day I missed a shot on a doe. She came in to about 15 yards from me. I don't know how I managed to screw up a easy shot like that but that's hunting, Lol

1:38 or 1:32 will shoot prb decent with hunting loads, might look for a old T/C Black Diamond or Firehawk and have QLA cut off barrel.
What Okie Hog said already posted didnt see his post should of read everything 1st.

Traditions offered a special order inline 50cal 1-48 twist for PRB.
mesHCU8.png

Never saw that before. Funny what they made the gun for. I guess they wouldn't dream anybody would want to hunt with a PRB?
Not really.

Having said that, i've been shooting patched round balls from inline rifles for 20 years, killed some deer and numerous wild hogs using patched round balls fired from inline rifles. There's another factor besides rifling twist rate, the depth of the rifling. Patched round balls like deeper grooves.

My favorite inline for use of patched round balls is a .54 caliber TC Fire Hawk. The twist rate is 1/38". It's very accurate with up to 90 grains of Black MZ powder.

My cheap old CVA Stag Horn rifle with it's 1/32" twist rate is very accurate using patched round balls.

Doc White has also shot a lot of round balls from fast twist inlines:

Round Balls In Fast Twist Rifles | White Muzzleloading

Yes, a true round ball rifling will be deeper. However, the TC Hawken proved shallow rifling in a 1-48 twist will shoot a hunting load pretty good.

An inline with a deep groove 1-48 twist would be a good PRB gun and could still shoot some conicals.

Back