Round balls in a sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Night wolf, they have peddles like a normal sabot. The poly patch was a solid cupped unit, cups on both ends, it was extruded by the barrel to grip around the ball. I used them for years with a tight .500 ball never had a problem with a loose ball problems happened with .490 balls cause people didn't like the tight fit went the easy lane and the ball would slip off the patch.
I was only 8 when my father had them, so my memory is little vague.

OK, Its more the round ball I am looking for. Found some but hey, they were sold out like everything else.

Night wolf, they have peddles like a normal sabot. The poly patch was a solid cupped unit, cups on both ends, it was extruded by the barrel to grip around the ball. I used them for years with a tight .500 ball never had a problem with a loose ball problems happened with .490 balls cause people didn't like the tight fit went the easy lane and the ball would slip off the patch.
I used the poly patch sabot in my Hawken. prior to that, it was Crisco and old sheeting.

I have shot prb in my Omega Z5, it's a .50 cal 1-28 twist, .490 hornady ball and the pregreased patches from Cabela's I want to say were .015?? Anyway they load tight but if I backed of the powder charge to less than about 45gr by volume T7 then they would actually shoot pretty accurately around 1" groups at 50 yards, I seem to remember 30gr was best though, and with that little powder the crud never built up, I shot over 30 shots in one sitting without swabbing the barrel and little change in loading or accuracy.

Back