Round balls in a sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Would it be possible to put a lead .454 ball into a sabots?

.454 lead ball in sabots shot out of a modern inline .50 cal.

Bullet supply is low but I have round balls.

I don’t see why not... depending on rifle twist rate you may want to back down the charge to 50-60 grains depending on powder. Just today seen a guy on another page who was using patched round ball in his cva optima because billets were hard to come by

I don’t see why not... depending on rifle twist rate you may want to back down the charge to 50-60 grains depending on powder. Just today seen a guy on another page who was using patched round ball in his cva optima because billets were hard to come by

Thanks I am going to give it a try.

I came across these too.

What do you think? Going to shoot light loads. Not looking to hunt this season.

Screenshot_20200925-223604.png

I have used simple cast pistol bullets, casual shooting and some hunting. As long as the size relationship is correct, works fine. I used a sabot to hold the bullet.

My first muzzleloader was a .58 caliber shooting round balls with sabots. They were shaped to fit the round ball. I could bark squirrels at 50 yards, but couldn't hit a pie plate at 100. I was never sure the ball wouldn't roll out the end of the barrel, because the sabot didn't hold it very tightly.

Are sabots with round balls more accurate than patches? I wouldn’t think so. I shoot Minie’s out of my sons .58 and they shoot awesome.

You can buy them that way. Dunhams Sports usually has them in stock.

In which store? The ones I looked at comes up with the fallowing when I do a search of "Round balls"
- Disco balls
- 8 versions of Pinemeadows mens PGX golfclub
- a pocket washer golf ball cleaner.

No round balls.........

In which store? The ones I looked at comes up with the fallowing when I do a search of "Round balls"
- Disco balls
- 8 versions of Pinemeadows mens PGX golfclub
- a pocket washer golf ball cleaner.

No round balls.........
The Dunhams Sports in Howell MI always carries them. I havent been there in a while tho.

Didnt find at Dunhams in MI but at Midway.
Any idea where one can find 12 gauge round balls?

Check out track of the wolf website. They have a good selection of muzzleloader balls and bullets. Maybe you'll find what you're looking for there.

Night wolf, they have peddles like a normal sabot. The poly patch was a solid cupped unit, cups on both ends, it was extruded by the barrel to grip around the ball. I used them for years with a tight .500 ball never had a problem with a loose ball problems happened with .490 balls cause people didn't like the tight fit went the easy lane and the ball would slip off the patch.

Latest posts

Back