Ruger Old Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually us SPG lube over the xtp's and it is pretty stiff for grease. So no, I have not had any problems with the bullets jumping forward and tying up the revolver during recoil since switching to SPG. And the SPG really stays put over the bullets, unlike Bore-Butter/Wonderlube or lamb tallow mix..

The biggest problem with the heavy 250gr .452 XTP is that they hit quite high. I don't know if I even have enough velocity to get expansion with them, as I have not shot any deer (ect.) with them. But I am getting about 30gr of 3f Olde Eynsford under them. I suppose that 777 would raise my velocity some(?)

I actually us SPG lube over the xtp's and it is pretty stiff for grease. So no, I have not had any problems with the bullets jumping forward and tying up the revolver during recoil since switching to SPG. And the SPG really stays put over the bullets, unlike Bore-Butter/Wonderlube or lamb tallow mix..

The biggest problem with the heavy 250gr .452 XTP is that they hit quite high. I don't know if I even have enough velocity to get expansion with them, as I have not shot any deer (ect.) with them. But I am getting about 30gr of 3f Olde Eynsford under them. I suppose that 777 would raise my velocity some(?)
Those xtp's are supposed to have IDEAL performance from 800-1600 fps. I bet you are very close to that minimum with 30gr of powder. Only a chrony will show fer sure. You should set up something like RonLaughlin does and see what you get at 25yds and maybe 50 even. Im taking mine out to the farm this weekend to shoot some dif loads and some 45LCs in a conversion cylinder.

I use Kik 3f but do load down a bit from you guys. Also I use a thin leather wad( think chap leather) over the powder, then a pea sized drop of lube, followed by the bullet/ball. NEVER a had chain fire. And I've fired up to 60 shots without having to clean the gooey mess that you get putting lube over the bullet.

I use Kik 3f but do load down a bit from you guys. Also I use a thin leather wad( think chap leather) over the powder, then a pea sized drop of lube, followed by the bullet/ball. NEVER a had chain fire. And I've fired up to 60 shots without having to clean the gooey mess that you get putting lube over the bullet.
Yeah covering the bullet does "nicely lube" everything doesnt it.

Mo gooey mess with the Bore Butter. But the SPG does sound like a more efficient lube. Am definitely going to try it.

I just got back from shooting mine at the farm. I only shot 6 rounds that i put a homemade lube over the bullets. And a box of .45LC in a kirst konverter. The homemade is parrafin and beeswax and vaseline. Not near as messy as the bore butter was. Still makes cleanup a bit more ... messy.

I just got back from shooting mine at the farm. I only shot 6 rounds that i put a homemade lube over the bullets. And a box of .45LC in a kirst konverter. The homemade is parrafin and beeswax and vaseline. Not near as messy as the bore butter was. Still makes cleanup a bit more ... messy.

I am trying to find the post. Can you just use a drop of oil on the ball? Was supposed to work pretty good.

Do you know if they ever have the 1836 TEXAS PATERSON .36 9" in stock?
I dont know. I see that link is no longer available.
I am trying to find the post. Can you just use a drop of oil on the ball? Was supposed to work pretty good.
Probably putting lube or grease over the ball is overkill. I started doing it cuz i thought it prevents chainfires. Then i just kept doin it. A bit of oil probably works just as well. Turns out most chainfires happen at the nipples or caps or even a crack in a cylinder. A drop of oil on the ball would probably be plenty to keep it lubed

My ROA and 1858 both shoot Kaido’s 240 grainer very well, I got a mold from him 2-3 years ago...great bullet!

That’s the same contact email I have for Kaido Ojamma, I couldn’t find a phone number. I remember pay $90-100 for his custom Lee 6 bullet molds for the 240 grain version, I’ve not shot the 220’s...

Back