Ruger Old Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clements was boring them out to 50cal too but the conversion is very expensive.
Clements Custom Guns
A Fifty- Caliber Percussion Revolver from Clements Custom Guns
fiveshooter4.jpg
I WANT ONE!!! (drools)

I live in the UK and following a ban on breech loading pistols in 1997 I turned to muzzle loading revolvers. Among these was a Ruger Old Army in stainless steel with fully adjustable sights. Although I'm happy shooting traditional black powder through the Ruger and the other Uberti revolvers I own, they could not be used on most indoor ranges due to ventilation issues. As the Ruger could already be considered to be a modern revolver, I had it converted and proofed to use smokeless powder. The conversion consisted of machining of the rear of the existing cylinder and making provision for 209 Shotgun Primers as the ignition source. A backplate was also needed to house the captive firing pin and allowing for removal of the cylinder and on-gun loading in exactly the same manner as the original gun.
I use 4.3grns of Herco and an Alox lubricated .457 pure lead ball with no wad or filler non being required.
The beauty of this conversion is that it allows the use of either black powder outdoors or smokeless powder when outdoor condition aren't ideal. Shotgun primers are more reliable, easier to fit than percussion caps and cost far less to purchase.

33xXWRNl.jpg

Brian

I live in the UK and following a ban on breech loading pistols in 1997 I turned to muzzle loading revolvers. Among these was a Ruger Old Army in stainless steel with fully adjustable sights. Although I'm happy shooting traditional black powder through the Ruger and the other Uberti revolvers I own, they could not be used on most indoor ranges due to ventilation issues. As the Ruger could already be considered to be a modern revolver, I had it converted and proofed to use smokeless powder. The conversion consisted of machining of the rear of the existing cylinder and making provision for 209 Shotgun Primers as the ignition source. A backplate was also needed to house the captive firing pin and allowing for removal of the cylinder and on-gun loading in exactly the same manner as the original gun.
I use 4.3grns of Herco and an Alox lubricated .457 pure lead ball with no wad or filler non being required.
The beauty of this conversion is that it allows the use of either black powder outdoors or smokeless powder when outdoor condition aren't ideal. Shotgun primers are more reliable, easier to fit than percussion caps and cost far less to purchase.

33xXWRNl.jpg

Brian
Excuse my lack of knowledge (and thanks for sharing) about gun laws in the UK...BUT what can you have for firearms over there? Would you consider doing a thread on UK gun laws sometime? I'm sure other readers would like to know the same thing that don't already know.

Excuse my lack of knowledge (and thanks for sharing) about gun laws in the UK...BUT what can you have for firearms over there? Would you consider doing a thread on UK gun laws sometime? I'm sure other readers would like to know the same thing that don't already know.

Hi.
I have posted a new thread under General Topics for anybody that might find this of interest.
Brian

Latest posts

Back