Rust at my QLA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
I am looking for help in removing rust at about the QLA of my stainless Encore. I had a little bit before last year but it has gotten worse recently. Before it just felt like a rougher spot and didn't really effect anything. This year I still maintained my normal accuracy but at times it seemed REALLY hard to load at the rust spot and my normal amount of pressure after I got by it. I thought that I was going to break my short starter for loading.

Is there anything that I can do to get this out of my barrel or will I have to have the QLA cut off to resolve this problem? Thanks for the help guys.

How much rust are you talking ? It won't come off with a good cleaning? Have you tried jb bore paste ?

if its sticking in qla rust has to be really bad as its oversized to begin with, if its rust that bad are you sure the rifling below its not messed up also? If just qla should be able to take a .54 copper bore brush/steel wool with solvent and get it knocked down enough to make loading easy.
If barrel is rusted/pitted then only way to fix right i believe would be to cut barrel behind rusted area and have recrowned. Or just remove qla as suggested if that's your problem.

I agree, if its causing problems in loading it must be beyond the qla and into the bore.

I would go with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a nylon brush with a little oil to begin with, working back and forth in the total rough area. If that didn't help, then new steel wool impregnated with JB around the nylon brush. Yes, the problem has to be beyond the QLA. A bore scope such as the Lyman Digital bore scope would be VERY helpful if you have access to one of them.

Does the bore brush NEED to be a nylon brush or is that just recommended? I have always used brass brushes. I believe that I have the steel wool already and I know I have JB bore paste so I'll give this a try. Thanks guys...

I use a nylon brush solely due to the fact that it is easier to reverse direction than with a brass brush.

There is a simple good answer, get Evapo rust at a car parts store plug the barrel fill with Evapo rust set aside for 12 hours and the rust will be gone.

There is a simple good answer, get Evapo rust at a car parts store plug the barrel fill with Evapo rust set aside for 12 hours and the rust will be gone.
Just don’ get any outside on the bore. I wasn’t paying attention when I did it to one of my old ML’s on the crown. It took the bluing off. If you do wipe it off as quickly as possible. You may want to oil that area as well.

I will order a quart of the Evapo rust and give it a try. If that doesn't work I will try the steel wool/JB bore paste. Thanks for the suggestions

evaporust works very well just leave it in long enough to work. If barrel has pits in it wont help that but will take rust out of them then you could coat barrel with dynatek bore coating.

Just figured that I would give an update on my situation. I ordered a gallon of the Evapo Rust to give this a try... well I ran a couple patches through the barrel to remove the oil to give it the best opportunity to work. The rust that I have is where the QLA and rifling meet and a little down the barrel into the rifling.

I put Evapo Rust into a cup to where the problem should be fully submerged. I let it soak for about 24 hours and then used a bronze brush of the rust area. I cleaned the area up again and the rust was still there. I elected to put it back in the solution for another 24 hours and used the brush again and the problem still exists... I cleaned my gun up again and put it back in the safe for now.

I will wait for it to warm up a little and I'll take it to the range to see if the problem truly effects my shooting and reloading. If it does I guess my next option is the steel wool with JB bore paste... Any other ideas are welcomed as well. I think I will take a Q tip to the area to see how rough the area really is...

I'll keep you posted after I get a chance to take it out shooting. Thanks again guys...

Back