rust on stainless steel cva

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnoffs

Reaction score
ii bought this cva wolf last year and i have put about 20 rounds thru it. accuracy is great with 300 gr hornady, 3 shots in 11/4'' at yds. at the first shot last year i noticed a little rust in the muzzle, where the rifling is not present . i have 30 rifles from when i was 16 in '67 and have never had this in a blued barrel. this gun was always clean and eezox was on it. so i forgot it until this year. sitting in a stand you have plenty of time to stare and i focused on the muzzle again. number 1 has anyone ever had this and number 2 how can a mfgr. claim this is stainless steel with the barrel rusted [corroded] before a shot was ever fired? i have only used bh209 but the rust was there before it was ever fired.
bob noffs

Many folks don’t realize this, Stainless = STAINS LESS, Just because a Rifle is Stainless doesn’t mean it’s impervious to Rust. And Lastly, NOT ALL Stainless is created Equal, Some stainless is absolutely horrible, Far Worse than a Blued Rifle.

Years ago when Tikka T3s first Came out I purchased 3 of them in Stainless, their Stainless was HORRIBLE then, Rain Drops would PERMANENTLY Stain them

Last edited:
yea, at the time i didn't think much of it. must just be some ''crud''. it can't be rust, it's stainless!
bob

so here is my take on this...........in the 60's when i was a kid some writer in shooting times or guns and ammo got a hold of one of the first entirely s.s. pistols made by a big gun maker, smith, probably. his article was about the gun and his plan to bury it in the backyard for a year to test it. he speculated that maybe the hammer would be discolored and the grips might need to be replaced but that he could wash it off and shoot it.
so you would think that in 50 yrs s.s. is even better?
the fact cva chooses to put such a cheap grade of s.s. in their gun that it corrodes before i even get it tells me the customer, and what people think of their company comes way way down the line after money. i am sure they will argue that it is a well known fact [mostly among metallurgists] that s.s. in different compositions have different levels of corrosion resistance. i know it, i have a degree in chemistry , but i think for them to advertise this in a gun is just plain dishonest and they are off my list for any future purchases.
bob noffs

anyone remember that article? always stuck in my head, a little fanatical.

Im not a metallurgist im a boat mechanic so Ive seen a lot of stainless products, in the real world, of different makeups and quality over the last 35 years. Some rust a lot. Some rust a little. Some not at all. Different types of ss have different qualities that can affect performance, as well as cosmetics, differently. I would prefer a great performing ML over a great looking ML, every time. My CVAs arent the best looking guns but they are great shooters. I bought them for quality and price at the time. Im keeping in mind that yours is a Wolf, not an Accura or even an Optima. If youre unhappy with the cheapest gun they make you could have spent a little bit more. As you said "accuracy is great with 300 gr hornady, 3 shots in 11/4'' at yds". A lil spot of rust shouldn't be enough to make assumptions about, and give up on, the entire companies quality standards based on their least expensive product. A little steel wool probably will clean that one right up and a little cleaning will keep it that way. IMHO and my $0.02.

Notice that all the descriptions on CVA's website just say 416SS and not 416R SS. Neither of which is all that great as far as corrosion resistance but they machine very well. 416R also tolerates "arctic temps" better. I would assume CVA uses 416R but they dont state it anywhere on their website i can find.

Crucible 416R
Carbon0.12%
Chromium12.50%
Manganese0.40%
Phosphorus0.03%
Sulfur 0.13%
Silicon0.40%
Molybdenum0.40%

There are very few options other than 416 or 416R for barrels. Lothar LW50 is one of them and you will have a rough time finding a 17-4 SS barrel.

do you think the s.s. in an accura or optima is different?
and i never read the results of that test.

Of the 3 rifles I own, all blued barrels, one of them for some reason seems to like to develop a bit of rust just at the bore.
I have to check it from time to time to see how it's doing. A little steel wool and oil takes care of it.

I have two stainless CVAs and neither rusts. I hunt in SE Minnesota and we can see just about every kind or weather imaginable in a nine day season, this last season no exception....very wet for about 50% of the nine days. I did nothing special with the guns when they'd been out in it other than take them out of the cases when I got home each evening and kept them in the garage shop to dry off. Never any rust. Never any mid-fires. Nothing but good. Even the blued Kodiak fares well in tough weather without any rust.

GM54 put me onto this stuff and its a super product.

xzAW38g.jpg

While it says WD-40 on the label, DON'T use it like WD-40 by spraying it on your guns. Spray it onto a soft cloth and then work it into the cloth, then wipe down your guns. The stuff is incredible. There was a very in-depth study done on products used to provide corrosive prevention and this product was the second best on the over-all of any others, including WD-40 itself. I have a couple non-cva muzzies that like to break out in rust rash in a couple areas even after being wiped with oil or sprayed with the original WD-40. After one wipe with this stuff and those guns no longer show the small spots of rust where once they did. I have tools that will rust if not treated with something and this product has ended that problem. After using shovels or spades or hoes in the garden I give them a quick spray to remove any dirt, let them dry then give them a wipe down with this and they simply do not rust. As I said, this stuff is incredible.

The WD Long Term aint cheap but its good stuff and available at some places like Lowes or HomeCheapo. Spaying it on a cloth or patch first is a must because it comes out of the can super fast.

Another product i like just for "in the field" on SS it Honda Spray Polish Cleaner. The stuff is killer on MC parts and things like that. Water just beads right off and lasts for weeks. Safe for most plastics too. Ive put it on my motorcycle shields. Bugs wipe right off it for a week or more.

From what ive been told this is the original. Same company made it for Honda.
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Spirits-Cleaner-Polish-Aerosol/dp/B007KPX7HQ

I'll have to add the WD long term to my shopping list.
#2 for the Honda polish GM54, works great on the bike windshield, and fairing, so why not on a rifle.
This thread reminds me of camping in the beside the salt water flats down by Kennedy space center back when you could do that.
My stainless S@W model 629 turned brown in 2 days in a camper drawer! My shock and awe went away with a bronze wool polishing.

Yeah, what i saying is............if you like to wipe down the OUTSIDE of your SS barrel because of possible bad weather.....That spray polish works. I would not be using it on something like a semi auto where you can get the barrel real hot but on a ML.....no problem.

Back