RWS caps (Are my nipples too large?)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I've been using rws 1075plus caps & they work fine (on my renegade) ... They are louder than my old caps too,, the only problem i have is they are so tight, i can barely get them on the nipple, then it takes a lot of pressure to get them seated to bottom.. Is this normal??

It is normal for a given nipple to prefer one brand of cap over another. Tolerances and such. If it becomes a problem you can always try another nipple.

My comparison is from my previous caps (cci#11) & winchester magnum (which i've read are the same cap). The rws are impossible with a "capper". they are just entirely too tight for use out of capper, & then have to push them into battery with a piece of wood. ,, i use treso/ampco nipples, (the only ones i've found in stock by the way & named on the order of 2 sites but packed loose with no label.)... I just need to know that this is the norm for the rws cap. They don't shoot any different with this barrel. so i would probably use the others come hunting season.. Hope to have a new barrel before then though. I hadn't posted this yet so did some checking... News,, i have 4 of these nipples & they all fit a little different! I'm going to chuck em up in the lathe & "uniform" them.. & the issue will be no more. (can't believe i didn't think of this before, getting senile!!).

From what I've read, there's no set industrial standards in the manufacturing of caps. They're all a tiny bit different.
I recently bought some RWS musket caps and found them to be a bit bigger than the CCI ones I have.
I have to pinch them to keep them on the nipple of my CVA pistol.

I actually used 1075+ caps on my renegade today. I was headed to the range and remembered this thread and decided to give them a try as I have a stash of them I have never used.

They slip on the my nipple easier than CCIs and are stronger so they bust off the nipple instead of getting stuck on the nipple or hammer. I liked them better than CCI on my setup.

Different brands of caps vary in size as do different nipples made by different manufacturers.

I would suggest to you that the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 Plus caps are made in Germany and they use the metric system of measurements. The 1075 is slightly smaller than the normal #11 American Cap and larger than the #10 American caps.

#11 Nipples of the different manufactures in America are also built with different tolerances and combined with the allowable tolerances of the different cap manufactures can cause a some what wide different fits.

I, personally, prefer a tighter fitting cap on the nipple. I always use a brass capper, with the trade name of Traditions, it has a solid brass back that allows me to physically press the cap on to the nipple post. Once the nipple has been installed and pressed on the only way to get the cap off the post is to shoot it off or peel it of with the edge of a knife blade. I save the peeled off caps for range or recreational shooting.

Here is the reason I prefer a nipple like the MSM Spitfire #11, the newer Lehigh nipple, and the Treso AMPCO nipple. They all work well for me other than the Treso has a very small flash hole, .028 1/2. I drill them out to .031. The Spitfire and Lehigh have the .031 flash hole.

With the tight fitting nipple I believe I can achieve a water proof breach area.

11-Composite.jpg

This is the capper I use. If you were to get one of these you will probably need to bend the piece of black spring steel to hold the caps correctly.

Traditions__11_Capper.jpg

The reason my "capper" won't work is because the caps were too tight to start on the nipple... one of my nipples fits them fine & i changed to it. the others (nipples will fit soon).. I just purchased these rws 1075+ caps a couple weeks ago.. The tight ones after pressed on blow off on these tight nipples too..(sometimes they stick in the hammer though)... It was my surmise that they would be great as a waterproof fit... There is a problem that negates the tight fit however... When my barrel is filled & the cap plugged,,, water leaks from around the threads of the nipple, (& i use bolt grease on them & the fit is still not good enough to seal off the powder)...

The reason my "capper" won't work is because the caps were too tight to start on the nipple... one of my nipples fits them fine & i changed to it. the others (nipples will fit soon).. I just purchased these rws 1075+ caps a couple weeks ago.. The tight ones after pressed on blow off on these tight nipples too..(sometimes they stick in the hammer though)... It was my surmise that they would be great as a waterproof fit... There is a problem that negates the tight fit however... When my barrel is filled & the cap plugged,,, water leaks from around the threads of the nipple, (& i use bolt grease on them & the fit is still not good enough to seal off the powder)...

Permatex makes a thread sealant in a tube that seals threads but is does not really act like a threadlocker at all. It is available in auto parts stores. I do not know how it will hold up to the heat but for a hunting application it might be worth a try.

I had a CVA with the problem of RWS's hard to get on. I just used my Drumel on the end of the nipple to get them started and they were nice 'n tight.

Sometime last century before the growth of the net I got a thousand #11 caps from Dixie Gun Works for very cheap. The outside diameter of the nipple is the inside diameter of the cap. Right now, caps are cheaper than nipples, and it was pretty easy to grind off just enough cap to get the fit. That was before table top lathes were a thing (and if they were, I was too cheap to buy one).

I was using RWS with Mike's Hot Shot nipples. They pushed on ok but were impossible to get off. It was easier to just shoot the load than get the cap off.

No need for a lathe if you don't have one. Just chuck up the nipple in an electric drill and spin into a piece of emory cloth or wet and dry sandpaper so it's wrapped around the nipple. You don't need to take off much, check frequently for fit. Been doing this for years. I prefer RWS caps when I can get them, so I make the nipples fit them.

No need for a lathe if you don't have one. Just chuck up the nipple in an electric drill and spin into a piece of emory cloth or wet and dry sandpaper so it's wrapped around the nipple. You don't need to take off much, check frequently for fit. Been doing this for years. I prefer RWS caps when I can get them, so I make the nipples fit them.
i just bought mine a couple weeks ago,, plenty of available if you look in the right place.. & price is ok too.. i'll be doing the drill trick too! easier set up than the lathe!

From what I've read, there's no set industrial standards in the manufacturing of caps. They're all a tiny bit different.
I recently bought some RWS musket caps and found them to be a bit bigger than the CCI ones I have.
I have to pinch them to keep them on the nipple of my CVA pistol.
i saw a chart once that had dimensions for diff brands,, probably the only reason there is a diff is rws is "metric".. I don't know if they are "saami" standard sizes or not?

Latest posts

Back