Sabot help.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Will someone give me the lowdown on sabot classification? I shoot the short m&p as that is what savage tells you. Would like to understand this so I could make better choices..thx

Its all about fit. Ive seen MLIIs that would shoot good with a much smaller OD sabot but that is more rare. MMP HPH-12 is another good sabot but its LONG. You might like it better if shooting a 300gr bullet.

Shooting 458 bulllets you can try a MMP Orange, Harvester Black Crushrib or the new Crushrib for 458s. The BlackCR+458 will be the tightest of those 3 and many people love that combination.

Thank you Gm54, I have learned alot lately. I found an old thread by Randy Wakeman who describes the sabots he used in ml2's also. Between the 2 of you I got a little work to do. As I read here before, should I use the half inch drill bit with Scott tape as a starter for my guns land to land diameter?

My old MLII liked the MMP orange 50x458 with a 325gr FTX and 63gr or Reloder7. HPH-12 and a 300gr 452 bullet is very close in loaded OD to that. Its no screamer but its easy on sabots and Re7 is very dependable as long as you got a 300-325gr bullet.

Just try to get around 40lbs of loading pressure. Put the MLII on a bathroom scale butt down. Push the bullet through the bore with the breech plug removed. Around 30-40lbs of force will get you in the zone. Powders like 5744 ignite a bit easier and you might be able to get away with a little less force but accuracy will be anyones guess.

My old MLII liked the MMP orange 50x458 with a 325gr FTX and 63gr or Reloder7. HPH-12 and a 300gr 452 bullet is very close in loaded OD to that. Its no screamer but its easy on sabots and Re7 is very dependable as long as you got a 300-325gr bullet.

Just try to get around 40lbs of loading pressure. Put the MLII on a bathroom scale butt down. Push the bullet through the bore with the breech plug removed. Around 30-40lbs of force will get you in the zone. Powders like 5744 ignite a bit easier and you might be able to get away with a little less force but accuracy will be anyones guess.
Thanks for all the help Gm54. I called mmp today, talked to Connie. She knows their products very well. My barrel mics out at .501-.502, she is sending me appropriate sabots to try. But I do not understand why u would want to remove breech plug. Seems like you would not get your 40 lbs. Of loading pressure?

I did, how do you think i took it out. :D

No reason to leave it in if you just plan to take it out to remove the sabot.

O.k...now I understand what your calling LOADING PRESSURE, the amount of force to push the sabot down the barrel. I was thinking you where talking about the force you seat the bullet with against the powder charge! Thx gm., sounds like good reloading advice..

What GM54-120 says, Yes use a bathroom scale.

I actually have an old analog Bathroom scale that I got at a thrift shop in my shop that I always load on when Just shooting at my range.

With a scale and the Breech plug removed you can easily check load pressure. I also use Reloader 7 in my Smokeless guns and find the above recommended poundage as the very minimum I want. I actually am looking for 50 pounds plus but I often hunt in near freezing and way below freezing temps. And during tour season my rifle never comes back in the house between days regardless of temps. So I want 50+, or a load that requires both hands and short strokes to push down the bore and a good palm saver to seat it with all I got smoothly on the powder charge.

I have knurled/rolled many a projectile between files to increase its diameter to reach the desired load pressure.

Your mileage may very,

Correct, your powder selection will change the amount of loaded force you want. The harder the powder is to ignite the tighter you want the sabot. Temps change how a powder burns so if its damn cold you want to make every effort to make it reliable. Re7 or even N120 is pretty reliable if you got a 300-325gr bullet on top of it.

N110 i can shoot with sabots that load easy in my NULA but its plug is also much different. Only rifle i ever had that like sabots "just tight enough" more than it likes really tight.

Thank you screwbolts and gm54. I actually have a set of scales, I shoot from my back door, so yes this is great advice to an old fart that never quits learning.. thanks to you both...

Latest posts

Back