Sabot troubles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone use sub bases from mmp products? Trying to work up load for savage 10ml2, 50 cal. Stock gun.. Been trying vihtavuori n110 and n120 with 300 gr. Xtp,.452....so far mmp hph24 are fitting my barrel for loading pounds the best..used n120, from 57,58,59 grains of powder. Got 4 to 5" groups at 100 yes. Not very good. Trouble is, I think, blowing petals of sabots. Have a trial pack of sub bases, should I try them. And if I do, do you load the sub base first, then the sabots bullet on the powder charge? Anyone else have trouble blowing petals off their sabots? Thanks Shorty..

Losing petals is normal and usually has nothing to do with poor grouping. The HPH-24 has thin petals. Im kinda surprised its the best fit for you. Savage bores tend to run a bit large.

Yes the sub base goes over the powder, then the bullet/sabot loads over the sub base. SAVAGE SAYS DONT USE A SUB BASE but many people have used them.

Just some ideas

Dont swab at all with VV powders. They are so clean they leave minimal fouling and your rifle may like to be shot dirty. Several shots may be needed until it settles in.

If the barrel feels warm to the touch its too warm. Let it cool down between shots.

I would try a tighter fitting sabot. The next step up from MMP is the HPH-12 and MMP Orange for 458 bullets. The next step up from Harvester is the RED Crushrib.

Make sure your front scope base is not touching the recoil lug between the action and barrel nut....Sort of a know issue and double check everything scope/base/ring related. These rifles are hard on scopes.

Losing petals is normal and usually has nothing to do with poor grouping. The HPH-24 has thin petals. Im kinda surprised its the best fit for you. Savage bores tend to run a bit large.

Yes the sub base goes over the powder, then the bullet/sabot loads over the sub base. SAVAGE SAYS DONT USE A SUB BASE but many people have used them.
Thanks Gm. My bore must have been the first in the batch for a new reamer. When it's perfectly cleaned I can load a short black mmp. After 2 shots it loads extremely hard. Tried to mic it, got

Thanks Gm. My bore must have been the first in the batch for a new reamer. When it's perfectly cleaned I can load a short black mmp. After 2 shots it loads extremely hard. Tried to mic it, got
Best I could do is .501" land to land. Temp. When I shot yesterday was 40degrees, I let it sit 10 minutes between shots. The barrel was cold to the touch.

From your past posts, I did all that. Read all of them, there is alot of great information here. According to mmp's literature, this is how they classify their sabots, great people..theses are all 50 cal., with .452 bullet. Black hph 3 petal-ez loaded dia. .502-.504. Black hph/12 loaded dia. .507-.508. Black hph 24, loaded dia. .505-.506. Any thoughts on a tight bore?

Check your front base screw some are too long on Savage rifles and actually bottom out on the barrel tenon threads, if it does grind/shorten the screw, I had this issue when I had my ML2 and it corrected erratic groups. Just a thought.

Check your front base screw some are too long on Savage rifles and actually bottom out on the barrel tenon threads, if it does grind/shorten the screw, I had this issue when I had my ML2 and it corrected erratic groups. Just a thought.
Thank you, already did that, part of the threads available here..

Latest posts

Back