sabot vs full bore ? and 1.28 vs 1.22 twist ? and ..... 50 vs 45 ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather spend $30 for a box of 50 No Excuse conicals. Link below. They will size them for your barrel, when you get the sizing pack. I finally tried them last year, and got better accuracy than ever. I will never go back to the one-size-fits-some, off the shelf conicals. I used the 420 grain, felt wad, and 80 grains (volume) Pyrodex RS, and shot the group pictured at 50 yds with iron sights. I harvested a nice cow elk with that load, and she went down on the spot. The bullet went out the other side, so I can't tell you about the expansion. Just the accuracy and effectiveness.

https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/50-420snewest1testing-2.png
Bighorn 50yd 80gr RS wad 420gr NE 2.jpg

which do you folks prefer ? soooo .... i thought i "knew" i wanted to go with 50 when i get my ML simply because of there being more (and often cheaper) 50 cal bullet choices . in these mountains (Tazewell Va , Appalachians) i'll probably never have shot at a deer over 200 yards (mostly 100 or less) .... but elk in Va is possible in other areas but i still don't think i try shooting one farther than 200 .

i'm asking because i'm thinking (which sometimes gets me in trouble) if sabots are reasonably/similarly as accurate at 200 yards as full bore bullets it would open up .45 cal bullet options if i went that route .... . which also gives me the benefits of 45s higher velocity and the 1.22 twist . is the 1.22 twist a real benefit ... or is it marketing ? BTW ..... i think i want to go with solid copper bullets .

can someone post a link to or share what difference i can expect velocity wise between the same powder charge and a similar weight bullet and barrel length using 45 vs 50 cal ?

i'm sure there's factors i'm unaware of to consider so some info on them would be nice also . i've %95 decided i want a accura mr-x or lr-x . i'm thinking if i go 50 i'll go with the mr-x and if i go 45 to go with the lr-x . y'alls thoughts and experience for recommendations is appreciated . BTW .... am i over thinking all this ? should i just KISS and go 50 ?
take care , jeff
ELK - in Virginia huh, plzzzzzz enlighten us as to where you found elk in Va? That would be a first I've ever heard of elk in Va in my 50yrs of hunting around there.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/search/?q=elk&cx=010062630463559116964:9iakdszajya&ie=UTF-8
https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/elk/hunting/elk-lottery/
https://dwr.virginia.gov/blog/propo...-introduction-of-special-elk-hunting-license/
https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/elk/hunting/Elk hunting is currently prohibited in Buchanan, Dickenson, and Wise Counties. Elk hunting in the rest of Virginia is permitted as follows:

• Elk of either sex, antlered or antlerless, may be taken during any open deer season with a big game tag and using weapons legal for deer during that season with the exception that elk may not be harvested with air rifles or slingbows.
  • The taking of an elk counts toward the hunter’s daily and yearly bag limit for deer but it must be reported as an elk.
    • Only one elk per day may be taken statewide
    • An animal with antlers above the hairline counts toward a hunter’s either-sex (buck) deer limit
    • An animal without antlers counts toward a hunter’s daily and seasonal antlerless deer limit
      • Elk cannot be harvested on DPOP, DMAP, or DCAP tags.
  • Elk must be checked in the same manner in which deer must be checked; however, in addition to checking an elk via a check station, phone, or internet, dead elk must also be reported by calling 804-367-0044.
  • Disease testing is required for all hunter-harvested elk. A Department biologist will need access to the entire gut pile in order to collect tissue samples.
  • The hunter may either pack out all of the gut pile contents or record the location. The hunter may need to be present in person to help locate the gut pile for testing. Get more information about disease testing in elk.
  • It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any harvested elk until the animal is checked. An elk may be dismembered to pack it out from the place of kill. The identity of the sex and all parts of the carcass must be present when the elk is checked.
  • It is illegal year-round to distribute food, salt, or minerals to feed or attract deer or elk in the counties (including the cities and towns within) listed on this page.
    • In the remainder of the state, it is illegal to place or distribute food, salt, or minerals to feed or attract deer or elk from September 1 through the first Saturday in January. It is also illegal to put out these substances to attract deer or elk during any deer or elk season within any county, city, or town that allows deer or elk hunting. This prohibition does not include the planting of agronomic crops or wildlife food plots.
    • Get more information on feeding elk
As stated above, successful elk hunters must check in their elk via check station, phone, or internet, and must also call 804-367-0044 to schedule the collection of biological samples from the carcass for disease testing.

thanks for the replies folks .
since BH209 is gonna be above my budget and i'll be using 777 ffg powder .... it seems i should use 777 primers rather than regular 209's or 209M's .

those no excuses look impressive and the price looks right . i like that they can be sized to barrel size like the Thor's i do wish they had them in a 230 to 300 weight . are felt wads sold ar do you have felt to cut them out yourself ? does the wad just sit between the powder and bullet or does it come up the side of the bullet like a patch ?

is lead or plastic from a sabot easier to clean out of the barrel ?
it seems plastic brushes are preferred over brass brushes for cleaning .... is that correct ?

JeffB1961, sir, I really understand your desire to purchase only the best supplies for your muzzle loading endeavor. We all do, and it's a huge part of the experience. But a word of advice, if I may: If you see anything marked 209 Primers, BUY IT!!! And then buy a lottery ticket. I am down to my very last package of 100 Federal 209s, still in the blister pack. I am contemplating including them in my will. (LOL)

https://dwr.virginia.gov/search/?q=elk&cx=010062630463559116964:9iakdszajya&ie=UTF-8
https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/elk/hunting/elk-lottery/
https://dwr.virginia.gov/blog/propo...-introduction-of-special-elk-hunting-license/
https://dwr.virginia.gov/wildlife/elk/hunting/Elk hunting is currently prohibited in Buchanan, Dickenson, and Wise Counties. Elk hunting in the rest of Virginia is permitted as follows:

• Elk of either sex, antlered or antlerless, may be taken during any open deer season with a big game tag and using weapons legal for deer during that season with the exception that elk may not be harvested with air rifles or slingbows.
  • The taking of an elk counts toward the hunter’s daily and yearly bag limit for deer but it must be reported as an elk.
    • Only one elk per day may be taken statewide
    • An animal with antlers above the hairline counts toward a hunter’s either-sex (buck) deer limit
    • An animal without antlers counts toward a hunter’s daily and seasonal antlerless deer limit
      • Elk cannot be harvested on DPOP, DMAP, or DCAP tags.
  • Elk must be checked in the same manner in which deer must be checked; however, in addition to checking an elk via a check station, phone, or internet, dead elk must also be reported by calling 804-367-0044.
  • Disease testing is required for all hunter-harvested elk. A Department biologist will need access to the entire gut pile in order to collect tissue samples.
  • The hunter may either pack out all of the gut pile contents or record the location. The hunter may need to be present in person to help locate the gut pile for testing. Get more information about disease testing in elk.
  • It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any harvested elk until the animal is checked. An elk may be dismembered to pack it out from the place of kill. The identity of the sex and all parts of the carcass must be present when the elk is checked.
  • It is illegal year-round to distribute food, salt, or minerals to feed or attract deer or elk in the counties (including the cities and towns within) listed on this page.
    • In the remainder of the state, it is illegal to place or distribute food, salt, or minerals to feed or attract deer or elk from September 1 through the first Saturday in January. It is also illegal to put out these substances to attract deer or elk during any deer or elk season within any county, city, or town that allows deer or elk hunting. This prohibition does not include the planting of agronomic crops or wildlife food plots.
    • Get more information on feeding elk
As stated above, successful elk hunters must check in their elk via check station, phone, or internet, and must also call 804-367-0044 to schedule the collection of biological samples from the carcass for disease testing.
Hey thank you for posting the links to the elk hunting in Va. That was very cool to go read about. Theres not much of Va I haven't been, but I moved from Md to Fl in 2014. I guess thats why I never heard about any elk anywhere near Va before. Thats so cool that they were re introduced to Va & are thriving. I'm happy to hear that. Enjoy the hunt & don't forget to share pics

Missouri has a drawing for elk now too. They started them at Peck Ranch. There are 2 tags for archery and 2 for firearms up for grabs iirc. :p
Thats wonderful. I had only read about them & seen them on TV in hunting shows until my first trip to southern Ok when my brother was stationed there. They awe majestic & amazing animals to see in the wild.

Latest posts

Back