Sabotless 50 cal SMI

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So to be like the cool kids I am attempting to go sabotless in my 28" 50 cal SMI Encore. I was hoping to shoot 2400-2500 fps but I'm not sure if you can push a break open that hard.

Bullet: 275 grain Fury

Powder: I have 5744, n110, n120, h4198, reloader 10x, and h322

Where should I start ? I was thinking 55 grains of n120. I am open to duplex as well.

20210104_233035.jpg

I THINK 60gr of N120 will get you right around 2400fps. I would not go much higher than that. Starting lower is a REALLY good idea.

Around 65gr of 4198 should give about the same or slightly more. Might need to duplex a little N110 with 4198 or go up in bullet weight.

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to size conical bullets for a traditional gun to not have to patch?

I shot it a bunch yesterday. Winchester primers won't set n120 off. Cci primers would but I was getting wild groups. Like really wild. Recoil was light. I was using 58 grains of n120.

I was about to use the last of my cci primers so I switched to n110/n120 10/50 duplex with Winchester primers. I shot 3 more. Recoil was noticeably more and it shot a 3" 3 shot group at 100. Then it got dark.

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to size conical bullets for a traditional gun to not have to patch?

Most definitely, I have shot a Lot of Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelock Muzzleloaders :lewis: It’s funny you mention this, I have a Hankins Sizer on it’s way now, Tracking said I should have it Friday.

Most definitely, I have shot a Lot of Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelock Muzzleloaders :lewis: It’s funny you mention this, I have a Hankins Sizer on it’s way now, Tracking said I should have it Friday.
Thanks for chiming in!
I’m already sizing for my smokeless 45, but I just didn’t know if there would be a reason to not do it for my 50 cals. It looks like I need to complete my order. :lewis:

Thanks for chiming in!
I’m already sizing for my smokeless 45, but I just didn’t know if there would be a reason to not do it for my 50 cals. It looks like I need to complete my order. :lewis:

It works good :lewis: I have shot some Darn good groups with Jacketed Sabotless in my Sidelocks, one of my Favorite 50 Cal Bullets was the Speer Deep Curl. IMPRESSIVE Bullet Performance!!

r9MzrmH.jpg

XFZQ43z.jpg

mw9QicW.jpg

Wjvdmyp.jpg

Ron Name’s favorite load for the 28”, 50 cal retrofit was 72g 2015/300SST/HPH 12. An absolutely excellent load!

Back