Sabots - clean or dirty?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoJo

Reaction score
I’m making my first trip to the range next week with a ML. I discovered that the back-and-forth in many forums and in Youtube videos in trying to seek out that “best load” was frying my brain.

I bought a CVA Accura PR (Nitride). I chose to begin with BH 209, CCI 209M primers, and Barnes & Hornady Sabots. I will try several other sabots in the coming weeks. One of the most aggravating differences in opinion was regarding the dislike for sabots because of the fouling left in the bore by melted sabots. Then came the counterclaims about how clean and accurate they were.

After tons of research, my current mindset is to make my fore-mentioned combo work for me and the Accura. Of course, I’m prepared to move past that if not a good match. I understand the concept of using a sabot and that my 50 cal is shooting a .45 cal. bullet. My game is 100% Whitetail with habitat that keeps me between 50-100 yards (max). My question is, have you experienced any particular techniques that one would want to apply or avoid to lessen shooter-caused fouling with a sabot? Thanks in advance.

Don’t worry about sabot fouling, just go to the range and enjoy the time. Good luck.

Thanks. It will take more than sabot fouling to ruin my enjoyment. Time to get busy. Early season ML not far away.

Fouling from modern sabots is soooooo overstated its a joke. Thats a crock perpetuated by CVA to sell Powerbelts. Let the barrel cool between shots, dont blow/drill a sabot and you are fine. If the barrel feels warm to the touch its too warm. Let it cool in the shade or get a cooling rod.

If you shoot A LOT, clean your bore with either Brownwells Wad Solvent or Montana Xtreme Copper Cream 3 maybe 4 times a year.....No need to use it on a regular basis unless you are certain you blew a sabot. Most shooters dont need to use solvents like that more than once a year.

Last edited:
With 90-100gr of BH209, you shouldn't have sabot fouling, at least that's been my experience. With 80gr of 777, they don't even show any blackening. Larger powder charges mean more powder burned OUTSIDE of the barrel, contrary to some published data. 275gr Barnes 45cal bullets are same hole accurate for me. Hope this helps you!

GM54-130 and Henry Miles

Thanks for the replies. I found enough good reviews and ballistic data about the pros of sabots that I’m convinced that they’ll work for me, especially with the ability to adjust the BH 209 without being restricted by either a 100 gr or 150 gr pellets. I’m taking Barnes and Hornady sabots to the range next week and 2-3 others the second trip out. I’m sure the day will come when I try pellets and non-sabots. For now, my priority is to find a load to get me ready for an early ML trip in 8 weeks. I have three young granddaughters yelling for deer balogna.

BTW, what is your cleaning routine at the range with sabots - after every shot or . . . ? And what is your primary cleaner? Thanks.

BH209 is soft so no swabbing is needed between shots. I have shot up to 40 consecutive rounds without cleaning the barrel. However, you will need to occasionally clean the flash hole of the breech plug of primer fouling to ensure trouble free ignition. An 1/8" drill bit in a pin vice, or glued into a wood dowel, turned by hand in the flash hole every 5-6 shots works well. For cleaning after a shooting session, any smokeless powder cleaner will work. I use Hoppes #9.

Sounds like you and i have much in common. I have the PR Nitride. I hunt in Mich so usually less than 100yds. I have tried many different 240-300grn saboted bullets with BH209. The all shoot MOD (minute of deer) not sure who coined that phrase. I have settled on 80grnV of bh209 WITH the loose powder breech plug. This gun will shoot better than I am able. I have never shot power belts but they prolly do fine. More is not necessarily better in this gun. I am trying to find a sabotless conical load that it/I like. T7 also works well in these guns. Im not sure I'm a 400 yard shooter or if the PR is either but I've slain many white tail with it and Hornady 250s in the crushrib sabots

GM54-130 and Henry Miles

Thanks for the replies. I found enough good reviews and ballistic data about the pros of sabots that I’m convinced that they’ll work for me, especially with the ability to adjust the BH 209 without being restricted by either a 100 gr or 150 gr pellets. I’m taking Barnes and Hornady sabots to the range next week and 2-3 others the second trip out. I’m sure the day will come when I try pellets and non-sabots. For now, my priority is to find a load to get me ready for an early ML trip in 8 weeks. I have three young granddaughters yelling for deer balogna.

Oops. Typo. Meant GM54-120

BH209 is soft so no swabbing is needed between shots. I have shot up to 40 consecutive rounds without cleaning the barrel. However, you will need to occasionally clean the flash hole of the breech plug of primer fouling to ensure trouble free ignition. An 1/8" drill bit in a pin vice, or glued into a wood dowel, turned by hand in the flash hole every 5-6 shots works well. For cleaning after a shooting session, any smokeless powder cleaner will work. I use Hoppes #9.
Thanks for the info. I read much literature on the clean-burning of BH209. Its one of the primary reasons I’m testing it next week. There is no shortage of ML that say they don’t need to swab after every shot with BH209. I also bought one of those drill bit cleaning gadgets from CVA.

Sounds like you and i have much in common. I have the PR Nitride. I hunt in Mich so usually less than 100yds. I have tried many different 240-300grn saboted bullets with BH209. The all shoot MOD (minute of deer) not sure who coined that phrase. I have settled on 80grnV of bh209 WITH the loose powder breech plug. This gun will shoot better than I am able. I have never shot power belts but they prolly do fine. More is not necessarily better in this gun. I am trying to find a sabotless conical load that it/I like. T7 also works well in these guns. Im not sure I'm a 400 yard shooter or if the PR is either but I've slain many white tail with it and Hornady 250s in the crushrib sabots
“MOD.” Yeah, I’ve seen plenty of that with my Marlin lever actions over the years. My Weatherby .243 will give me a consistent MOA. I’m going to try some T7. I’ve also heard good things about the crush ribs. They’re also on my list. Confining myself to creek beds and river bottoms is mainly why I rarely get a shot 100+ yds out. Probably had many walk near and out of sight but I work hard to get that 50-yarder. Thanks again for the info.

I tried BH 209 in my Encore, and I couldn't tell any difference in accuracy over 777. BH 209 sells off the shelves here at about twice the cost of 777. It does burn cleaner. I swab between shots, so my first shot is always right on. It is easier with BH because you don't have to swab every time, but I like to shoot, and the price seems exorbiant. My go to gun has #11 cap ignition, so it isn't an option for that one. I hate the ridiculus high price for ML bullets. I mostly shoot .458 rifle bullets in mine, with crush rib sabots. If you call Harvester instead of ordering on line, they give you a much better deal on shipping. You also save by ordering bullets in bulk. Their 300 gr. Scorpion PT shoots very well in my rifles, and works fine on deer.

Thanks for the info. The difference between the testimonials here on MM and other blogs and youtube is that I don’t feel like I’m being pressured like a car salesperson to buy one’s product.

I bought Barnes and Hornady sabots/bullets at Cabela’s. I believe they sell the Harvester sabots but I have to buy the PT’s online. The BH was $50 for the 10 oz. bottle, $15 more than Midway USA and other places. I bought several bottles because they price-matched Midway’s price. I also avoided the hazmat shipping charge. The T7 is $30 for a 1 lb. bottle and $24 with a Midway match. I notice that the reviews for T7 are mostly about how clean it is and the added accuracy. I understand that the shelf life for the BP substitutes are long term if unopened. ML season is two months away and store reps tell me it’s hard to find either of these on the shelf once ML season begins.

The Whitetail here in NC typically aren’t as big-bodied as those back home in PA, and the habitat creates shots 100 yds and less. What helps you determine the best bullet wt. for your ML? I see your 300 gr. Scorpion plus a 240 and a 260. Thanks again for the tips.

I use BH209 in my Encore 50. It groups MOA for about 6 to 8 shots then the groups open up to about 2 moa. They'll stay that way for at least 25 shots after that. I don't know how much further I can push without cleaning it as I never tried. I clean the gun as if it was a smokeless rifle.

I use BH209 in my Encore 50. It groups MOA for about 6 to 8 shots then the groups open up to about 2 moa. They'll stay that way for at least 25 shots after that. I don't know how much further I can push without cleaning it as I never tried. I clean the gun as if it was a smokeless rifle.
Thanks for the reply. Reports like this are reassuring and make me glad I’m starting with BH209. Just curious as to what type of bullets you shoot most often.

Thanks for the reply. Reports like this are reassuring and make me glad I’m starting with BH209. Just curious as to what type of bullets you shoot most often.
300gr XTP's w/black MMP sabot and 100 gr (volume) BH209. Kills deer dead as a beaver hat! I've used BP plus nearly all of the substitutes. I would never even consider another powder.

300gr XTP's w/black MMP sabot and 100 gr (volume) BH209. Kills deer dead as a beaver hat! I've used BP plus nearly all of the substitutes. I would never even consider another powder.
I haven’t shopped for those bullets but I see some testimonials with good things to say. I’m adding these to my notes and future shopping list. Thanks again.

I too shoot a V2 with the Nitride barrel. My go to load as of now is 77 weighed gr of Blackhorn, (100 gr volume). A 300 gr Speer Deep Curl in a black Harvester Crush Rib sabot, and a Win 209 primer . About the same cost as Hornadys I think . Midway had them for around $15.00 a box and free shipping over $49.00 so I stocked up. And I have never had a melted sabot problem. I tried the standard black harvesters and they were too tight for my gun.

Latest posts

Back