Sabots for the Super 91 .504

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browning

Reaction score
I've had this Super 91 for many years now and it's served me very well. I've heard a lot of statements from guys saying they are reaching out accurately past 200 yards with their ML using sabots. Does anyone have any experience using these in a .504 White, and if so, what grain slug did you use with which powder? I've been using the 400+ grain white bullets with 95 grains of Pyrodex. But I'm running out of bullets and would like to try something new.
I'm looking for the best recommended sabot weight, powder type and load. Thanks for your help on this, I'm going to be drawing a premium Elk tag soon and I really want to get this thing tuned in.

I've had this Super 91 for many years now and it's served me very well. I've heard a lot of statements from guys saying they are reaching out accurately past 200 yards with their ML using sabots. Does anyone have any experience using these in a .504 White, and if so, what grain slug did you use with which powder? I've been using the 400+ grain white bullets with 95 grains of Pyrodex. But I'm running out of bullets and would like to try something new.
I'm looking for the best recommended sabot weight, powder type and load. Thanks for your help on this, I'm going to be drawing a premium Elk tag soon and I really want to get this thing tuned in.
I can reach way beyond 200 with my lead conical. In my 451 super 91 i used for my elk I had less than moa at 200 with 90 gr powder , felt wad and a 465 gr conical . I would use that load at 300 for hunting over a saboted bullet. But that is just me.

After doing a bit of research today, I've decided against the sabot. I can stick with a conical and get good MOA groups. Just wondering what weights and loads guys are getting good groups with in the 91. Right now, I'm shooting the .465 and getting 1.0 at 100 yards.

My S91 likes 70gr by vol of 3f Swiss and a Bull Shop 460 gr .5045. Works well for me at 100 yrds. I forget the actual bullet number. If you want to push out to 200 yards you might want to get your stock bedded, find some quality scope bases, rings, and quality glass. The rifle will do it.

I think sabotloader us to use shots in his Whites. Had to live up to his name.

No Excuses 460 or Bullshop. Or order up a mould from Accurate, 2or3 hundred dollar investment and you’ll be casting your own. Never run out.

remember during the buffalo hunts after the civil war many buffalo fell at long range many times, to 500gr bullets at 1150-1250 FPS. they were many over 2000 lbs +
SB

Back