Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorhaught

Reaction score
I have posted several times before about how well the Barnes 290gr TMZ shoot out of Triumph with 777 mag pellets. The question I have is if anyone else has had great groupings with something lets say .... a little cheaper! I hunt in NM and like most western states have opportunities that push the 200 yrd mark. Any thoughts?

I guess what I am really looking for is the best groupings and the least amount of bullet drop from 100 yrds - 200 yrds.

I got a .210 group center to center with SW 250 and 120gr of BH209 with a short black sabot in my Triumph. I have not repeated that but have gotten some .5 and .625 groups since. I think that load in my gun shoots better than I do but since I use it for hunting I am not going to put a big scope on it. As long as I can hit the 8 inch gong at 200yds till I get tired of shooting at it I am good for deer bear and boar. Lee

After a few range sessions, my best overall groups came from the 300 gr Bonded Shockwave in Harvester sabots. It will be my elk load in 2 weeks. the BC is similar to the TMZ and accuraacy was slightly better with the BSW in my Omega with 120 gr of BH209.

While it is another pricey round, I can shoot the standard 300 gr SST or Shockwave for practice and use the more expensive bonded versions for elk. I asked which bullet people would use if the groups were equal, and the recommendations were split. Both are good bullets.

I am getting ready to head back to the range now for final shooting before the season starts and to get my backup gun dialed in.

Latest posts

Back