Safe load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I have a Ruger No. 1 with a .45 SML barrel. The first 4.5 inches at 1.2 inch diameter. I have a Rem 700 ml with a .45 SML barrel with a 1.2 inch dia barrel for the first 4 inches. I would like to shoot a 290 TEZ sabotless with a wad out of the Ruger. It fits well and I have a bunch. The projected load would be 10 grains of 4759 and 60 grains of 4198. It has a integral radial brake. The breechplug is a short version so ignition has not been a problem. The barrel length is 27 inches.
The Rem 700 ml has a shorter BP also and a brake but I do not use it. The barrel is 24 inches. I would like to use the 275 Match Hunter with a wad. It fits nicely sabotless also. Would like to use the same powder combo for a bit of interchangeability. These loads too stout for the bullet weights?

Some pressure traces I looked at.

g3ifCGo.jpg

o2XoG3W.jpg

nSXlVUf.jpg

vtRiPXd.jpg

I may be retarded, probably am, but why the duplex loads? And how do you load them? Mixed or one on top of the other? Seems like too much of a hassle.

A duplex load is easy to do. The faster powder goes in first, followed by the second powder. Cold weather ignition, quicker bullet obturation, are the two main reasons I duplex.

For 209 ignition, duplex can have dignificant advantages. Its not a hassle nor a fringe idea: it’s extremely well proven. Since there is no neck engraving, the faster burning powder gets the main powder load up to pressure much quicker and the bullet/bullet sabot obturated quicker. ESs are generally smaller with good duplex loads, cleaner burns, greater accuracy, less temperature variance, faster velocities and all achieved with good duplex loads.
The heavier the bullet, the tighter the load, the smaller the caliber, the longer the barrel, the faster the main powder, the hotter the ignition ( LRMP -HIS, or hotter yet, DI) all reduce the advantages of duplex.
I think, from the PTs shown, and assuming 209 ignition that the 10/60 load would be in the 45,000 psi range. I wouldn’t recommend double loading.

I decided to use the Ruger No. 1. I kept the same powder load but used the 230 grain Fury bonded with the Harvester light blue sabots. Shoots well at nearly 2900 fps. and pressure is lower with the lighter bullet.

Good to know. I emailed the bullet manufacturer. He promptly got back with me. Said the heart/lung shot would work as would the high shoulder shot but with the latter there would be no tracking required. Hope to try it out in 6 weeks or so.

Shooting well, some think a wool wad under the sabot may improve accuracy. May try that in the future.

Latest posts

Back